“Cool Shower, Icy Reception”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Au bois vert

Hotel Au bois vert
Ranked #1 of 90 Antananarivo B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Cool Shower, Icy Reception”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

We arrived late so perhaps I should not be surprised that no one was there to meet us. We were told where the keys to the room would be. It was alright, reasonably spacious, with a second bed on the balcony level. The bed on the main level was uncomfortable and too short, sleeping on the bias is not my idea of fun, but you get what you get. The toilet is a separate space leaving a comfortable basin and shower area. I really thought the floor of the shower was cool, large stones placed parallel with small spaces between for the runoff. Really nice design. The water was hot with a strong stream.

Outside the garden area is charming, the hotel is in a grove of tall dreamy trees, very pretty setting.

Breakfast was only a small roll, tea or coffee and some jam and butter, and juice. Eggs are available at extra cost. But the attitude of the young woman seemingly in charge of the restaurant was less than pleasant, bordering on the chilly. She insisted I wait to have breakfast with my friends. I insisted on eating then; a tense standoff and I won. Give me a break!

The reception desk people were equally chilly. I am glad I stayed at the Hotel du Louvre on my return to the capital. I recommend it over this hotel.

Room Tip: I only saw my room. My friends did not have comments one way or the other on their rooms so it would...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Constant_traveller45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We used this hotel as a base for our trips to the south, east and north of Madagascar and stayed there 5 nights. It's location close to the airport is ideal if you arrive by plane late in the night or have to leave very early in the morning. Close to the airport yet in a calm and green environment. The bungalows are very spacious and nicely decorated.

The food in the restaurant is delicious, and not very expensive. You can enjoy a huge choice of local and international dishes. What we did not like though is the fact that smoking is not prohibited in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank thoiry01
oswestry, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed two nights on our recent trip to Madagascar. The hotel is near to the airport - ten minutes drive, and down a quiet side road you turn into the gardens, populated by dozens of really tall trees and a lot of other plants, it is really peaceful. The rooms are wonderful, brick and stone with patterns etched into the walls of Malagasy life, comfortable beds and a huge shower and bathroom area. Food is wonderful, starters pizzas and main meals at great prices. The staff are really helpful as epitomised by the manager, who let me watch the football with him on his own TV. When the signal broke, he said "Come with me" and drove us both across town to a restaurant to watch the rest of the match. Wonderful !

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shaunsouthern
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

We had Au Bois Vert as our “base” during our 3 week journey around Madagascar. We chose Au Bois Vert specifically because it was close to the aiport and promised a “green” enviroment vs. staying in the city centre. In addition to having all our expectations fulfilled with regard to those criteria we enjoyed wonderful hospitality from all the staff who were very helpful and generous with their time whenever we had a question. We became “regulars” at the restaurant, enjoying the superb food and service here. We were very impressed by the attention to detail in the architecture and loved the unique “stick-figure” decorative details. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Meerkat44
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I loved my stay at Au Bois Vert, and would stay again in a heartbeat. My room was one of the papaya rooms towards the back of the property. Clean, modern and colourful rooms with plenty of space. Loved the local artworks and antiques scattered around the place. The pool area and gardens are beautiful, complete with a resident flock of geese. The highlight though was probably the restaurant. Delicious food, brilliant desserts and nice wine list too. Ideal location for exploring Tana, and not too far from the airport for guests arriving late/leaving early. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business