“Interesting”
Review of Lemurs' Park

Lemurs' Park
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Worth a visit if you are short on time. Located approx 1 hours drive from the centre of Antananarivo.

There are newer reviews for Lemurs' Park

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is a must stop during your visit to Madagascar. The place is only about 30 minutes outside of Tana. The park features many different species of lemurs (5+ I believe) and just as cool - they don't have any fences! It is naturally separated by a river from one side and fields from other sides, but if lemurs wanted to they could get out easily. The lemur species are free to rummage around the territory on their own and they also don't seem to get into fights very often. Our guide explained that this is because they are fed in different locations and since there is no shortage of food and no competition, the species have little to compete over. The lemurs are not exactly "tame" but don't mind people at all.

In addition to the large number of "day" lemurs. There are also two nocturnal species at the park. These, however, are in cages, since the guides claim they would be very hard to manage and control if they were let loose. This was the only unfortunate part about the park.

Beyond lemurs, there is also a place where you can see large turtles.

Overall - a great experience and worth a day trip on the day of your arrival or departure!

1  Thank fulcrum2
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was hesitant to go to the park, as I very much dislike zoos. Caged up animals is such a sad sight.
After having been reassured by my agent (was on a business trip but had one morning off) that the park was not like that I went and must say very glad I did.
They really seem to love and care the lemurs and the goal is to eventually get them back in to the wild, but at least keep them safe from harm.
Lovely place!

1  Thank FlyingGonzo_10
Reviewed 4 January 2014

It was pretty cool to see different lemurs in the wild, the guide was very good, entrance fee is only $10 per person (no credit card accepted)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We were in Antananarivo for only a day and a half and decided last minute to see the Lemur park (despite some of the mixed reviews I saw here). It was totally worth the entry fee! It’s outside the city so we hired a driver to take us there. The visit takes about 1.5 to 2 hours. The Lemurs are greatly cared for and you can really get close to them because they are quite used to people and thus not shy. I don’t know why others commented on any suggestion that the guides allowed petting the lemurs for a fee. We were specifically told that contact with the animals is strictly forbidden. Our guide Hanja was very knowledgeable and spoke flawless English. In addition to the lemurs, he told us about the many plants at the park. He never made a suggestion about a tip (but we left one anyway because he was so great). The park also has a gift shop where you can get some souvenirs/t-shirts and a small restaurant. It was really a memorable visit during our stay in Madagascar and I would recommend it to visitors.

1  Thank Alliejay76