“charming”

Lokanga Boutique Hotel
Ranked #11 of 59 Hotels in Antananarivo
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This was our first hotel In Tana. After a friend and I got off a 23 hour flight.
They were very helpful getting our bags down a very scary narrow stony flight of stairs and when we got to the charming old villa. We had to go up three flights before entering our room, only to find a queen size bed awaiting us!
This was the case in all the hotels over there no single beds!
It does have great internet service!
the place does need to be updated, but s it has charm and a lovely buffet breakfast!
they do not except anything other than VISA!!!!! so no mastercard or amex.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Arriving at the hotel you have to descend some 5 1 steps in wood and stone. The hotel is situated in what looks like a delipidated villa. Entering, it smells like the cheff has forgotten the fish in the hot oil. Not a subtle wiff but so strong that you feel it in your eyes.
No reception.
We had chosen The English Room.
The stairs to the room are real narrow & steep
Coming to the room-the best thing is a large veranda that you have to share with others.
The bathroom has an outdated tub which older people will not be able to enter, since the hight is roughly to the middle of your thigh. There are no steps.
There is no shower curtain.
The washbasin has 4 taps (faucets) but no possibility to mix the water and no plug for the drain. It is yellow stained at places, it is dirty, it is scratched, it is chipped. The soap holders are rusty.
A sun-downer was served at the veranda in two different wine-glasses one for white and one for red wines with a slice of fois gras (half coocked and red inside)
The door to the veranda cannot be closed from the outside which leaves plenty of space for mosquitos which in our case entered by the dozen. No mossie -net.
The paint is falling off here and there the wood is splitting up e.g. on the easy chairs, it is dirty, dirty, dirty.
Look at the photo of the towel after i moved it along the window in the bathroom!
The double bed shrieks horribly loud when you sit on it or turning during night.
When people upstairs (?) Are walking on the floor it sounds like they are walking through your room

Dinner 7-9
Ordered red wine: yes-wine good but served at 12-13 degrees.
Ordered starters: malagacy assiet - very good
Main dish: Shrimp - ok- Baked potatoes is boiled potato afterward wrapped in foil. (That is how you recognize the not caring kitchen.)
Thai soup= vegetables served in a cream sauce! None of the special Thai-taste. Cold! and on cold plate. No spoon!
Re-order: beef in malagasy pepper sauce. Beef ordered rare to medium. Appears as well done to medium in a onion cream sauce! No peppers! And a cold plate.
When serving the waitress is stretching over the food in one place to give the food to the the other party
The picture was made complete when the napkins first came together w/dessert. (But we had paper serviettes, probably left over from the previous meal.
The staff had no clue how to serve food.
The china ware -all- had chips- and it is a known fact that that is the way to promote infections.

Situation:
Way out of the city, you would need your own transportation I guess.

All in all:
not worth the money! There are so many other places which are clean and without all the nuisance of this place and with excellent trained staff. And today I know, with so much better view of the town

Positively:
There is a heater in the room
The view is OK but not the best, and the only selling point.

It is amazing that they are said to be the Winner 2012 (?). And they are displaying a Trip Advisor award where there is no year mentioned!

Room Tip: I really don't know if it possible to find a room which will satisfy anything but a first time b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank de-Savigny
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was the first of three hotels we stayed at in 'Tana', and it was by far the best of the three. It is a fabulous hotel, and the one I would chose to stay at again if visiting Madagascar.
We stayed for one night only, in the Rose room, on the second floor, which was excellent, and gave us the opportunity for a much needed bath, after several days of showers only. The room was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. As with the rest of the hotel, there were quirky items of furniture and light fittings, which really made the room feel 'different'.
Evening meal was superb, and very good value, and breakfast was also extremely good, with fresh fruit, home-made muffins, etc.
The hotel has fabulous views over the city, but was very quiet, and the staff were excellent. If you need a hotel in 'Tana', look no further. Superb!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spenceleys
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We just stayed here for 1 night and it took a while to get there from the airport but it was worth it!

The staff are wonderful and have thought of everything, including giving you the directions to get back to the hotel in Madagascan for the taxi drivers to understand.

The views are breathtaking and the food was fab. If you stay in Tana stay here as long as you don't mind the hilly journey

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrtTraveller
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is indeed a top choice. Not only are the rooms beautifully decorated, is the breakfast and any other meal of great quality, and are the views over Tana fantastic. Probably the best thing is the friendly and very service-minded staff in the hotel. They did everything to make our stay as pleasant as possible and not a question or a request was frowned upon.
One point of critique is however that not all rooms are equipped with mosquitto nets and for a place like Tana you definitely need that. Bring your own and have a very memorable stay in a wonderful hotel !!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Roeland_2010
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I found the Lokanga Boutique Hotel on Tripadvisor and booked it on the basis of its great reviews and quirky style - and I'm so glad I did. I stayed for 1.5 nights on my way back from a diving trip to Nosy Be (which I thoroughly recommend!). Fabiola and the rest of the staff were very helpful in sorting out the booking and the arrangements for my transfers to and from the airport. When I arrived on the Saturday evening I was welcomed with a glass of red wine and a comfy armchair by the fire to do my check in which was great! Being English I was put in the English room which had a great comfy bed and wonderful bespoke linens. The bathroom was enormous with a large claw foot bath and a range of organic soaps and toiletries. The room (and indeed the whole hotel) are furnished with all kinds of local antiques and curios and pictures both contemporary and historic and it has a great feel of 'home from home'. Being on the first floor I also had a shared balcony to make the most of the stunning views over the city.

Fabiola and her staff were attentive and made sure I was looked after throughout my stay. I was given a plan of a walk from the hotel past the Queen's Palace (2 mins walk) and the museum down to the town which was great so I spent my Sunday strolling around and taking in the sights.

The quality of the food was superb and I enjoyed great food and wine throughout my stay.

I would highly recommend Lokanga to anyone thinking of visiting Tana - it's got a great position overlooking the city and the welcome was warm and friendly. I'll definitely stay again the next time I'm in Tana!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so you get to have the added bonus of a shared balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I admit I have not stayed in another hotel in Tana but when I walked into the Lokanga Boutique Hotel, what a wonderful surprise! The hotel is beautifully decorated and the staff incredibly helpful. The location can't be beat for drinks overlooking the city at sunset as the hotel is on the tallest hill in the city very close to the Queen's Palace. We had the opportunity to stay in two of the 6 rooms and looked in the rest after the other guests had checked out, we were not disappointed. The beds are comfortable and each room has a refrigerator - if you are on the first floor both rooms share a lovely patio which the rooms on the top floor (the attic) do not have. We found the rooms in the attic to be the most quiet as the stairs are a bit creaky and if other guests are inconsiderately loud the other rooms can be a bit noisy.

Dinner in the hotel, both times, was fantastic and reasonably priced for the quality of food served. Try one of the house rums as a digestif after your meal! The staff in the hotel were very well trained and the manager came by each night we were there to make sure everything was ok. When we had an early flight, leaving the hotel at 4:30 AM, they ensured that breakfast was waiting for us, including hot coffee. I just can't say enough about this hotel. There are MANY mosquitos in the area and the hotel provides buy repellent for them as the rooms do not all have mosquito nets. Additionally as the building is old the hotel can be quite cold but on the ground floor (reception and dining) the light a fire in the fireplace and each room has a space heater which when put on immediately when arriving in your room, is adequate.

We were thrilled to begin and end our magical trip in Madagascar in this hotel - thank you Fabiola and your wonderful team for a great stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple