L’Hotel Colbert Spa & Casino
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Le Louvre Hotel & Spa(Antananarivo)
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel Urban(Antananarivo)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsindoor poolold damesauna and steam roomsprawling hoteldelicious cakesrestaurants and barspastry shopsafe locationpost officetv channelsclose proximitybreakfast buffet isstreet vendorslovely poolmain restaurantroyal palacereception area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I've stayed several times at the Hotel Colbert; it's a reasonably good choice for both travelers and tourists. It's very dependable, the food is decent, and it has a Business Centre (for which you pay extra) where you can check your email. We were traveling as a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) and on both occasions that we stayed here, we got one of their larger suites overlooking the city of Antananarivo (GREAT view). We were way up, on the 5th floor, I think, and it was very quiet, just a few sounds floating up from the city. We stayed in the "newer" part of the hotel, and the accommodations were acceptable. I've always been so busy in Tana, I've never had time to check out the spa or the pool here, so I cannot comment on those.

No problem in our either of our rooms with insects, although I did notice that there was a burning trash smell that permeated the whole city (more like burnt rubber) and that smell permeated our room as well (the windows had been left open.) (Maybe our bad luck that that day was trash-burning day?) When we returned to Tana a few days later there was no smell in the air. While the hotel is reasonably nice, and clean, I would definitely NOT rate it as a 5-star hotel... more like somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. The bed was just ok, not that comfortable, and the pull-out sofa for the kids was not that great. Do not expect the same standard as you would in America... Madagascar is a very poor country, and I guess for them, this is a pretty nice hotel. By US standards this is more like a Ramada Inn or some mid-level hotel. Decor in the hotel room was just ok.

The breakfasts were fine... nothing amazing, but adequate, and when we had to catch a very early morning flight to Fort Dauphin, we were able to get room service to bring us breakfast at 5am (coffee, croissants and some juice). I appreciated that.

The hotel is located in an interesting part of town, and you can walk to shops to buy souvenirs, and also La Varangue (GREAT French restaurant) is close by. But quite honestly, if you are a tourist, you probably want to get out of Tana as quickly as possible, and get to some of the more interesting rainforest and dry forest areas.

The Hotel Colbert does have a restaurant, which is handy if you don't have time to wander around and find something else, and they also have an assortment of boutique-type shops, opening during daily business hours.

There is a Business Centre on site, but you'll have to walk down through the lobby and up in to another wing of the building to get there. I think the rate to use the Internet was about $7 per hour, and the Business Centre is open from roughly 8am-5pm daily. I'm not sure that there is internet connectivity in the hotel rooms for your own laptop -- check with the concierge beforehand. Bear in mind that Madagascar is a very third world country, and that you are very lucky to have any internet connection at all here.

Right next to the hotel is a wonderful little Patisserie (bakery/ice cream shop) -- really lovely and tasty cakes and treats, and ice cream. I tasted both the cakes the the ice creams, and they were delicious, and you will not get sick eating here.

At the Hotel Colbert Front Desk, they DO speak English, but if you know even a little French, that is helpful.

The Colbert has 2 bars, and they are reasonably good. I would NOT order drinks with ice in Madagascar (except at a resort like Anjajavy, where they definitely use purified water for the ice cubes.). Better to go for a cold beer or chilled white wine.

By some reckonings, the Hotel Colbert is said to be the best Hotel in Tana. If you are looking for a more Boutique Hotel, try "Le Pavillon de l'Emyrne," (which I LOVED, but which is not as centrally located as the Hotel Colbert), or La Varangue, which has a fabulous restaurant & is just down the street from the Colbert (although I cannot comment on the accommodations at La Varangue, as I have not seen them.)

The hotel did provide us complimentary bottles of water, as you cannot use the tap water to brush your teeth, or, obviously, to drink.

We used Za Travel (a subsidiary of Rainbow Tours) for our trip to Madagascar, and went to Berenty (crummy hotel, but very cool lemurs and surrounding countryside), Perinet (very nice, loved the Vakona Forest Lodge) and Anjajavy (a real treat, and great location).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Hotel Colbert was beyond our expectations. We (three of us) were in a suite in the new wing. The accommodation shouted 5* and we weren't disappointed. The staff were very helpful, the food very good, eaten in pleasant surroundings. We have no complaints and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We treated ourselved to three nights in a beautiful room in the new part of the hotel, after a dusty week on the road. I think that the question here is the huge differnce in quality between the new red-and-glass tower rooms and the other, (cheaper) older part of the hotel, which would have dissapointed me, had I booked it based on what you see on their web page (seemingly the new part).

Our room was five-star european standard and worth the pretty hefty price tag, moreso because it gave free access to the amazing spa in the basement.

From what I saw and was told, a much better option than say, the Hilton, excep maybe for the pool.

• Stayed: August 2005
Reviewed 29 March 2008

I had been told this was the best hotel in Tana. What a disappointment!!! I went to Madagascar for working purposes and I stayed at the Colbert 3 times in 3 different rooms.

The first room was turned to the street and very noisy, although big. The second room was quite ok, but I was waken up at 6.30h two days in a row by the cleaning lady's vacuum cleaner.

In the third room I had the bad surprise of finding hundreds (yes, hundreds) of flies coming from the bottom of the bed at 23h. I asked for a new room and the reception told me that no other room was available. Then they send a guy with a spray to kill the flies. I think the can was empty when he left, but of course I couldn't sleep in the room, otherwise I would be as dead as the flies in my room. I had to wait for almost 3 hours at the reception and afterwards to sleep with all windows open (and praying not to be biten by mosquitos). Moreover, I had left my luggage from the previous stay and it took them more than 2 hours to find it when I came back for the third time. The room was turned to the business center and I had to ensure that the curtains were always closed otherwise, the BC clients would have the view of a fat white naked guy right in front of their noses while I was getting dressed.

The cherry at the top of the cake came when I checked out for the last time. There was a phone call in my room bill. I told the reception that I did not use the phone during all my stay, but they insisted. Then they came up with a record saying that I used the phone for a local call at 9h30 and (can you imagine) suggested that I had a prostitute in my room. I was furious!!! I had to call my collegues and ask them at what time we had left the room (in fact at 9h) so that they stopped and finnaly apologise (I am still convinced that the cleaning lady used the phone).

So, basically, the hotel was not up to the standard, the rooms were old and the reception staff was too bad to be true in what was supposed to be the best hotel in Tana.

I will never stay at the Colbert again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
6  Thank mgaivao
Reviewed 6 October 2007

This place was a complete anti-climax. After backpacking through Madagascar for 2 weeks, we thought we'd treat ourselves with a little luxury at the end of our trip. But what a let down. The hot water was luke warm, the room was unattractive and the service was not up to standard.

There was nothing special about this place. At all. Maybe it was all an honest misunderstanding -they must have added 2 extra stars by mistake.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family