“Go for the view over Tana.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Rova - Le Palais de la Reine
Bristol, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Go for the view over Tana.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The building is interesting enough, but it's the nearby view points that are the best reasons to come up here. As third world capitals go Antananarivo is one of the most attractive - on a par with La Paz in Bolivia.
There are some hawkers around up here but any seasoned travellers will have experienced worse in other countries.
We felt safe coming up here with 2 teenage kids.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank MSE1970

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I visited the Queen's Palace and Museum (just down the hill) on my trip to Tana. I was staying at the Lokanga hotel just down the road which was perfect. I was approached by a guide on my way up to the palace who was very friendly and knowledgeable. He ended up having a friend who tagged along as well as another guy who shared the tour guiding duties. They were very knowledgeable and gave me a thorough history lesson both at the palace and the museum as well as a few sights along the way. It helps if you speak French as the whole tour (for me at least was conducted in French! The palace itself is quite impressive, but the fire destroyed all the interiors and they haven't had the money to make a full restoration. But if you go with an open mind you'll enjoy it. Apart from the guide's bizarre insistence on finding the largest and most gruesome black spider in the bushes and suggesting a hold it for a photo. I was nearly sick!

The only downside really was negotiating the price. I should have read some of the comments here and insisted on arranging a price in advance. It was a good tour and I offered 50 euro on the basis that there were three of them (though one just tagged along for the ride). But they tried to insist that I give them all my money and I finally got away with 70 euros which was a bit of a rip off for less than 2 hrs tour. But I guess it's a poor country and they needed the money... but be warned!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Michael B
USA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Worth a visit!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

There isn't much left of the palace after arson destroyed it - they started to rebuild it but work was stopped in 2009 after the change in administration due to lacking of funding. As with all national parks/properties in Mada you have to go in with a guide. The guide we had was incredibly knowledgeable and we enjoyed our time with him. We were glad to have gone at the end of our 2 week stay in Mada and the complicated history made more sense than it would have at the beginning of the trip. The guide walks you around the current structure and points out landmarks in the city as the palace is located at the highest point. Our guide also had photos he showed us of what it used to look like in order to serve as a reference as to what we were looking at.

All that being said, be careful with your guide and negotiate the price (additional to the entrance) beforehand. In our time in Mada we always tipped our guides in the parks, the amount determined by us - here the guide essentially insisted on at least a 12-15 euro tip for the visit including the museum, a bit excessive...finally we compromised on the equivalent of 6 euro.

The museum was interesting but there really isn't much there that is original to the palace. Essentially during colonization the French took the expensive stuff back to France and replaced it with things of considerably lower value. So it's well worth it to visit the palace, just be sure to negotiate your guide price in advance.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank trvl09
Harare, Zimbabwe
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

First time going to Tana and i was taken here to see the amazing view and know more about this history of the city. Our guide who we found just outside the palace was great and gave us a fantastic history lesson back into time. We had to pay him but it was a fair amount for the tour and information we were given. much better than some other places i've been to.
It was a great experience seeing the palace and learning new things about the country. i would definitely reccommend it.

Visited May 2013
Elgin, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Know the queen and her people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I fully underestimated the importance of visiting this derelict building until I returned to Tana after 3 weeks in Madagascar.The palace is on top of a hill with excellent views of the city and even though we suffered the end of their bad rains it was refreshing to be out of the turmoil of the city.We took time to select a guide and after we had he controlled the hassle and spoke well in english about their wicked queen and walked us through the palace which is waiting for the finance to return for renovation as it was stopped when their DJ took power to run their country.There is no need to judge but the people live their lives and the government theirs and there is no doubt that this palace represents how Madagascar has evolved.The queen would roll people off cliffs wrapped in leaves and decapitate.She was cruel and as you travel Madagascar her legacy is still with the people.Below the Rova is the pm,s old house now a museum again waiting to be renovated.We were the only visitors side stepping the plaster that had fallen and smelling the damp.Visit these sites and allow the presence of history to touch you and help create
an insight into the people of Madagascar .

Even if it does not touch you in the way it did for us then it is a magnificent building with excellent views already showing the quality of work that will be there once the money returns. A good day out to help you adjust to a new country.As a bonus the walk down the hill takes you to haut ville ,the jewellery district and past an excellent pattisserie shop called the royal patisserie.The chocolate cake was truly magnificent.

My advice is go and don't judge too harshlyYou may leave disappointed but just allow the building to create part of the story of the people and I believe over time you will like me see the attraction as having immense value.I was moved.

Visited March 2013