“Dinner”
Review of Heuglin's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lilongwe
Heuglin's Lodge
Ranked #3 of 27 Lilongwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I visit Lilongwe for 2 weeks per month and nearly always eat at Heuglins (and have been doing so for nearly 2 years now), although I have stayed here I now live in a company house. Reasons why I eat here - Food is always fantastic (the main Chef, Su, is very creative and will cater for any dietary requirements - he is also great fun) - the atmosphere is home from home - the communal table creates a great opportunity to meet other guests and I have had many very entertaining evenings there. Given that this is probably the best food in Lilongwe it is great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark1806

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Went to Heuglins for dinner, beef was good. Honesty bar makes for a friendly atmosphere.

Management are friendly enough, but for the money, it must be said, there is better food elsewhere in Lilongwe. Not in many places, but its there.

One nice element is that everyone sits at the same table for dinner, so meeting people is easy and can make for a pretty fun night.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Freddie S
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I spent a few nights in Lilongwe but unfortunately fell sick soon after I arrived due to a bug I caught at my previous destination, so I mostly spent my days at Heuglin's. I was fortunate to stay at this particular lodge because it really is like a home away from home, so I was very comfortable. The staff was very attentive and made sure I was okay and a doctor was summoned.

The lodge is surrounded by beautiful gardens and there's a nice pool area which invites you to bask in the sun. My room was gorgeous and the bed was excellent to sleep in. The area is an upscale residential area, very peaceful and lovely.

Breakfast is quite basic but you can order pancakes, eggs, etc from the kitchen which is a nice touch.

You can get drinks from the courtesy bar all day, just mark what you've taken and pay when you leave. There is drinking water in the fridge in your room. You can get tea and coffee all day from the dining room.

I love how the dining table is one big table around which all the guests sit for breakfast and dinner. This is great especially when travelling alone - I love meeting new people and chatting to them about their travels. Unfortunately I was not really up to speed since I was feeling so under the weather but still managed to enjoy the few encounters around the dining room table.

If I ever return to Malawi, and I hope I do, I will stay at Heuglin's for sure. Thank you for taking such good care of me!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pinkilili
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I've stayed 3 times at Heuglin's. The first time, I stayed for 3 weeks as part of a team of teachers working in Lilongwe. This was in 2007 so there has been some staff turnover since then. Heuglin's was a great way to be introduced to Malawi, though it is in no way a reflection of the "real" Malawi.

The guest house is situated in a very affluent area of the city, away from the city centre. All of the properties surrounding are gated with high brick walls. It is a very safe area in which to go for a walk but the scenery leaves a lot to be desired as a result of the high walls.

The place is warm and comfortable. I've stayed in many of the rooms and all have their own charm. In July the nights can be cold but the beds are covered with down duvets so the cold is not an issue.

THe food is delicious. Breakfasts are made to order and dinner is always a three course home-made meal. During my three week stay I'm sure I gained 5 pounds!

Heuglin's is a bit expensive but for a night or two the luxury is worth it. The cook, Sungeni, a good friend of mine now, is funny, charming and kind. The maids are sweet and helpful.

On our last night at Heuglin's the staff prepared a celebration for my group of 4 and sang and danced for us. The staff have become my life-long friends. I returned for a solo visits in 2009 and 2008 and was still impressed.

Unfortunately, the employees are made to work long hours under very strict conditions. I have stopped going to Heuglin's because of the staff are treated. I've witnessed many occasions on which employees work 15 hour days and then must travel an hour each way to their homes.

If you don't care how people are treated and want good food and luxurious surroundings this is most definitely the place for you.

Room Tip: "The Cottage" is a slightly quieter room but all are quiet and comfortable. THe rom at th...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jdmalawi
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Great place to spend one night or forty! Comfortable, relaxed and friendly, helpful staff. Although away from city central, the drive is not long and the peaceful surroundings are worth seeking Heuglins out. Of my seven trips to Lilongwe, three trips I stayed at the Sunbird Capital, once at Crossroads, once at Wendels and once at Hueglins. The only place I recommend is Hueglins.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank rjskywhirl
Reviewed 31 October 2011

TEL: +2651776771 : M2@wilderness.mw

Set in a beautiful garden, with a wonderful pool area, the large shady verandas are an ideal spot to put up your feet after a long day in the dusty town of Lilongwe. For the business traveller, Heuglins has good wifi connectivity and the personal touch. Nothing is too much for Fiona the hospitable mangeress to organise, including changes to taxi schedules, and fussy food requirements.
Sungeni the chef is wonderful and interacts with guest with a dry sense of humour.His great homely food at a communual dining area ensures that guests arrive as strangers and leave knowing a bit more about their fellow travellers. One guest has been here for 14 months-Testimony to the "home from home" feel that Fiona likes to ensure at heuglins.

It was difficult for me to find their numbers untill i realised that they are part of wildeness safaris - hense their details at the top of the page.
I will be back :)

Room Tip: If you suffer from the heat, ask for one of the rooms with aircon. All the rest have overhead fans w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mozzy9
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I have always bemoaned the shortage of good quality lodges in Lilongwe, so was delighted to find Heuglin's. It has a connection with Wilderness Safaris, so is often used by guests in transit to their other lodges in the country. The lodge itself is in the area of Lilongwe that is home to the ambassadorial residences, and is a converted large house. Rooms are well-equipped, and there are ample communal areas both indoors and outdoors in which to relax. Wifi internet is free, there is DSTV, and delicious western-style lunches and dinners are cooked on-site by the local chef. I would definitely stay here again when in Lilongwe.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business