“room ok but poor service and disgusting food”

Golden Peacock Hotel
Ranked #15 of 26 Lilongwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I had the unfortunate opportunity to stay at Golden Peacock during a conference in Lilongwe.

The hotel was full at the time (the hotel management had shamelessly increased significantly its prices at a result: US$150)
I stayed in the new building and I have no complaint about the room: large, huge flat TV screen (although choices of international channels extremely limited), relatively clean.

Apart from the quite unaccommodating management, the two big problems for me with this hotel are: internet connection is either non functionning or very very bad (quite a problem when there for an international conference) and the food.

ooooh the food... where shall I start? I am sorry to say but it is certainly the most disgusting food I have had in a hotel for a very long time (and trust me, I have been to quite a few hotels in Africa and elsewhere)
Even the breakfast buffet is disgusting. The pastries are either tasteless or of very poor taste, the hot plates are really bad, fruits are old.
The lunch buffets were no better. Whether chinese food (and I do like Chinese food), Western food, or African dishes, it was absolutely disgusting.

The hotel management needs to hire decent cooks if they really want to succeed. The food in this place became a running joke among clients of the hotel.

All in all, a not so good experience. I am sorry but I will not return,

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stay in the new wing. Rooms are spacious, clean, fresh, new. Excellent shower. Beds are a bit hard. Free internet. Staff try hard to please. OK there are a few niggles, but it is an order or magnitude better than the other main hotels in Lilongwe and no more expensive.

Room Tip: ask for the new wing and make sure the matress hasn't been fitted hard side up
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Fairly new hotel in the new town part of Lilongwe. There are two buildings in the hotel, divided by a pool, with the one in the back being the newest of the two. Although there are two restaurants only one is open at the moment, so unless you wanted to pay a taxi to go into town you were stuck with Chinese food. The food was decent but after 2 weeks of chinese food it can get old. The staff were all nice however I have to admit that after travelling all over the world this was the first hotel that said no more than they said yes. When asked if I could get into the business center I was told not until it opened, although I understand they had someone paying for each interaction it is a bit disconcerting that as a guest I couldn't print something out when I needed too. Also, they refused to give anyone more than 1/2 a roll of toilet paper. We took up a large percentage of the hotel and I spoke to no one that got more than 1/2 a roll at any time. The rooms were fine; I was in the older hotel and I would classify it as more of a nice stateside Holdiay Inn than any type of international Radisson Blu. The bathtub was very cheap plastic and the shower head handle constantly fell off the wall. The carpet was very stained and the door wouldn't always open or shut immediately.Sometimes I had to really jerk it to get it to catch. The decorations were nice but already there were signs of wear and tear and shortages of items you'd think there would be enough of. The bar closed at 10 at night, despite there being a large amount of personnel on site and the internet was very, very slow, to sometimes non existant. I realize this is Africa and these are 1st world issues so let me close by saying that I had a pleasant stay in the hotel. Everything was clean and the staff friendly. They need some direction on how to host major conferences but I believe they are headed in the right direction. Obviously some issues are going to remain simply because of location. I'd stay here again with out a doubt.

Room Tip: The back building is new and quiet. The front of the hotel tends to be noisier with all the construc...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The room was fine. They have mostly English TV with 3 or 4 movie channels. Carpet was stained, like other reviewers pointed out, but not to the point where it was gross. The safe is really cheap. I am not sure I would leave anything really important in it but at least they do have safes. The staff opens all the windows when they make up the room. This concerned me as bugs are often a problem in Africa, however I did not see any mosquitos or other bugs.
Staff is very friendly except, strangely, the front desk people are very indifferent to the guests.
The pool is large (25m) and perfect for laps or to escape the African heat.
Location is okay. A cab ride costs 3500MWK (about $9) to get to the markets.

Room Tip: Sun rises in the front so if you prefer more darkness backside is for you. Construction on 2nd hote...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WaywardTravelor
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My review will be the same as many of the others. For Lilongwe, the GP is a good value business hotel with a gym. The room is medium to large, with a good desk area for working. The water pressure is good, the bed large, and the TV a 37-inch flat screen. The carpet in my room was stained and rather disgusting, but everything else was clean and tidy. The A/C worked every day, and the electricity never went out. The internet is free via cable or wifi and was reliable but slow during my stay (as it was everywhere in the country). The one restaurant has a combination of Malawian buffet or Chinese menu. The Chinese food was very good, and luckily I like Chinese food. The gym is small, but has two of each cardio machine, a small weight machine, and free weights. I was the only one in the gym whenever I went. Construction nearby was noisy, but with the A/C on and windows closed it was completely tolerable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front, away from the construction, will be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Marco20009
Reviewed 14 December 2012

It has all the markings of a Chinese hotel in Africa. Looks great from the outside and is new with large rooms. Yet the carpet in my room was already horiibly stained and muddy, the tile was scratched and the drapes fraying. Oh yeah, and the elevators and hallways smell like some wired chemical. It's almost entirely empty. The restaurant menu is for large parties ...it's hard to order as a single diner. I was there during Christmas season and they booked the restaurant for a party. After telling me I could eat a la carte at a corner table, they then took my order and asked me to leave the and take the food to my room so as to not disturb the party. The winning point for me is a 25 meter pool. Ok, it is not that clean, but it is new and I could swim every night.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Built by the Chinese for the Chinese during Bingu's time, this place seems to be a bit of a folly now. Almost entirely empty on both of our two stays, it is a bit over the top bling in a typical Chinese show off stylie, nevertheless the rooms are comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful and it is a little different for Lilongwe.

Huge pool out the back is unfortunately freezing cold and overlooked by another large Chinese development currently in full swing at time of writing.

Restaurant has a mainly authentic Chinese menu with a few westernised dishes. Because we were almost the only guests, breakfast was pretty poor with a rather sparse buffet. Private dining rooms for business dining looked swish but of little use to the average traveller.

Overall, a pretty bizarre experience but not an unpleasant one by any means. Promotional rates available and represent good value for what you get.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple