“Horrible”

Ranked #14 of 23 Lilongwe B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Horrible”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I am a well seasoned traveller throughout Africa and this is one of my least favorite hotels. The staff are rude. Extremely unhelpful. If something doesnt work (and something wont work) they will be resistant to findind a solution. The "free" internet is extremely slow. The outlets require chinese style plugs, i wouldnt be surprised if they make me pay in yuan too. I am upset enough that I am cancelling my reservation during my stay and going to move to another hotel. I can deal with slow internet, I can find a work around on the plugs, but the staff being so awful is too much. I dread having to talk to any of the staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This relatively new & modern hotel is away from the city center, and spreads out over several acres with 200+ rooms. Caters to Chinese and other expatriates. Rooms are spacious, all mod cons, generous helpings of Chinese and other cable TV channels. Pool is big but unheated.

Staffers are helpful and English speaking.

On the down side, the food is mediocre, and calls to the reception are not always answered. The Internet is free, but quite slow except in the middle of the night.

I found the Peacock a bit sterile; it doesn't have that lived in feeling of the more traditional hotels like the Capital.

Room Tip: Request a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank constanttraveler71
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I enjoyed my one night stay at the Golden Peacock. For me the highlights were its cleanliness, bright lighting, mini fridge, comfortable and sizable room, big TV with good channel selection, and free wifi. Nice but cold swimming pool. Also, a great shower.

It could use improvements on the quality of its food as another reviewer mentioned. Dinner isn't great but the breakfast was tasty and adequate for my liking. Wireless internet was hit or miss and I had to move to the room's door/entrance to pick up the wifi which seems to be strong in the hallways but doesn't reach inside the rooms. It was fast enough to sustain a skype voice call for over an hour with no interruption. At the time of my swim, the pool had gross green algae all over the bottom but they were vacuuming it out the following day.

If I am ever in Lilongwe again, I will stay here.

Room Tip: I stayed in the old wing and it was fine for me. 5th floor was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I had the unfortunate opportunity to stay at Golden Peacock during a conference in Lilongwe.

The hotel was full at the time (the hotel management had shamelessly increased significantly its prices at a result: US$150)
I stayed in the new building and I have no complaint about the room: large, huge flat TV screen (although choices of international channels extremely limited), relatively clean.

Apart from the quite unaccommodating management, the two big problems for me with this hotel are: internet connection is either non functionning or very very bad (quite a problem when there for an international conference) and the food.

ooooh the food... where shall I start? I am sorry to say but it is certainly the most disgusting food I have had in a hotel for a very long time (and trust me, I have been to quite a few hotels in Africa and elsewhere)
Even the breakfast buffet is disgusting. The pastries are either tasteless or of very poor taste, the hot plates are really bad, fruits are old.
The lunch buffets were no better. Whether chinese food (and I do like Chinese food), Western food, or African dishes, it was absolutely disgusting.

The hotel management needs to hire decent cooks if they really want to succeed. The food in this place became a running joke among clients of the hotel.

All in all, a not so good experience. I am sorry but I will not return,

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Lilongwe hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stay in the new wing. Rooms are spacious, clean, fresh, new. Excellent shower. Beds are a bit hard. Free internet. Staff try hard to please. OK there are a few niggles, but it is an order or magnitude better than the other main hotels in Lilongwe and no more expensive.

Room Tip: ask for the new wing and make sure the matress hasn't been fitted hard side up
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Heidelberg
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Fairly new hotel in the new town part of Lilongwe. There are two buildings in the hotel, divided by a pool, with the one in the back being the newest of the two. Although there are two restaurants only one is open at the moment, so unless you wanted to pay a taxi to go into town you were stuck with Chinese food. The food was decent but after 2 weeks of chinese food it can get old. The staff were all nice however I have to admit that after travelling all over the world this was the first hotel that said no more than they said yes. When asked if I could get into the business center I was told not until it opened, although I understand they had someone paying for each interaction it is a bit disconcerting that as a guest I couldn't print something out when I needed too. Also, they refused to give anyone more than 1/2 a roll of toilet paper. We took up a large percentage of the hotel and I spoke to no one that got more than 1/2 a roll at any time. The rooms were fine; I was in the older hotel and I would classify it as more of a nice stateside Holdiay Inn than any type of international Radisson Blu. The bathtub was very cheap plastic and the shower head handle constantly fell off the wall. The carpet was very stained and the door wouldn't always open or shut immediately.Sometimes I had to really jerk it to get it to catch. The decorations were nice but already there were signs of wear and tear and shortages of items you'd think there would be enough of. The bar closed at 10 at night, despite there being a large amount of personnel on site and the internet was very, very slow, to sometimes non existant. I realize this is Africa and these are 1st world issues so let me close by saying that I had a pleasant stay in the hotel. Everything was clean and the staff friendly. They need some direction on how to host major conferences but I believe they are headed in the right direction. Obviously some issues are going to remain simply because of location. I'd stay here again with out a doubt.

Room Tip: The back building is new and quiet. The front of the hotel tends to be noisier with all the construc...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
stuttgart
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The room was fine. They have mostly English TV with 3 or 4 movie channels. Carpet was stained, like other reviewers pointed out, but not to the point where it was gross. The safe is really cheap. I am not sure I would leave anything really important in it but at least they do have safes. The staff opens all the windows when they make up the room. This concerned me as bugs are often a problem in Africa, however I did not see any mosquitos or other bugs.
Staff is very friendly except, strangely, the front desk people are very indifferent to the guests.
The pool is large (25m) and perfect for laps or to escape the African heat.
Location is okay. A cab ride costs 3500MWK (about $9) to get to the markets.

Room Tip: Sun rises in the front so if you prefer more darkness backside is for you. Construction on 2nd hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business