“Fantastic lodge”

Kumbali Country Lodge
Oslo, Norway
“Fantastic lodge”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This lodge is absolutely fantastic. The food is great, the service exceptional and the staff very friendly and helpful. They will pick you up at the airport, and deliver you back in due time for your return flight at no cost. Kumbali is just a great place to spend your time! At the countryside this is a peaceful place, and I can highly recommend staying in the Deluxe room, which was spacious, the bed was excellent and the bathroom very clean and the fridge always filled up. I would rank this a 5 star hotel/Lodge. Very reasonable priced compared to what you get. They also have a nice swimming pool. Nothing to worry about - didn't even see 1 single mosquito during my stay!

This is a very ham friendly lodge. As a radio amateur (LA7GIA/7Q7GIA) I had my gear with me. Upon arrival 2 persons from the staff immediately helped me to put up the AV 640 vertical, and when I left the same team helped me in unpacking. I was told I could put up wires in the trees, but that was not really needed as the vertical did its job. Should even be possible to put up a smaller beam antenna. They have various ginpoles when it comes to size and lenght, reliable power supply and even a separate emergency generator which will provide you with uninterrupted operation from your QTH.

Room Tip: Recommend deluxe room K1, at the corner with a nice view and sunrise. Close to swimming pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kenneth_Opskar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Located on gorgeous grounds well behind the presidential palace, Kumbali Country Lodge has both character and beauty. Our rooms were enormous, exceptionally tasteful, and well-appointed. Service was excellent and accommodating. Our hostess was gracious—and our host supplied some local color and lore.
Dinner, unfortunately, was over-priced, mundane, and lacked finesse. Breakfast was a bit better; but the chefs here would do well to stick with simpler and more straight-forward preparations. A country menu of locally-raised meats and vegetables would seem better in keeping with the locale and the style.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jww1075
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What a beautiful Lodge in a beautiful Country. This place is a slice of paradise.

Everyone is so helpful and will go far above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that you have the perfect stay. Guy even went as far as to lend me a change of clothes as our suitcases got delayed!

Guy, Maureen, Jess, Trish & Amy run a perfect lodge with the utmost attention to detail.

Guy is the perfect host; on the first day my partner & I got the whole lodge tour from, Guy, then once we had finished the tour of the Lodge, Guy gave me the tour of the grounds. Showing me many animals, foliage and giving me as much local knowledge as I could ask for.

Every morning one of them (Sometimes all) would be waiting to greet you and ensure that you are not wanting for anything.

I have never experienced such amazing, attentive hosts (and i have been to many hotels in my time, some warrant a review, some don't) That includes 5* hotels and Spa's in England and Europe. This really is the warm heart of Africa.

If you are visiting Malawi and Lilongwe you simply have to visit Kumbali Lodge.

I could wax lyrically for hours about this lodge, it really is that good.

Thank you, once again, all, at Kumbali Lodge. My girlfriend & I will definitely be back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing (We stayed in #1 & #4)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at this lodge on our last night of our Malawi tour.

The lodge can be reached after a short drive from the city center or about 30 minutes from the airport, it is located in a beautiful garden in a rural setting. We did a long hike and were very surprised when we even saw a small croc.

The chalets are very comfortable with nice bathrooms.

Dinner was good but a little expensive. Breakfast was delicious with homemade yoghurts, eggs from the farm and different cereals.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I was based in Lilongwe for several years but stayed at Kumbali as a treat one night. Lovely staff, location & food & was far enough out of town to forget about the stress of LLW. Would recommend to business people, families and volunteer types(as a treat). Make sure you also take a trip down to the village.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Excellent rooms and the surrounding. I stayed there for almost 4 months and it was home away from home.The environment is very relaxing and I will always go there given a chance. Very friendly people.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 11 and in both JJ1 and JJ2. Both JJ1 and JJ2 share a kitchen. The best one for me w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lilongwe, Malawi
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We frequent Kumbali, probably monthly, if not staying there, for a meeting or just to go for a walk. Great food, service, environment, natural surroundings. Whether for a night or week we always leave refreshed.

Room Tip: Kids activities are all natural: swimming, nature, entertainment at Cultural village or Permacultur...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lilongwe
Madidi Lodge
#4 of 12 in Lilongwe
Sunbird Nkopola Lodge
Sunbird Nkopola Lodge
#2 of 3 in Mangochi

Been to Kumbali Country Lodge? Share your experiences!