“Money stolen from room, would not recommend this hotel”
Review of Hotel Tamana

and 1 more site!
Hotel Tamana
Ranked #13 of 24 Bamako B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The hotel itself was pleasant. Relatively clean, nice courtyard, decent location. But the management is so poor. When we checked in, there was no one to greet us. We didn't know what to do or where to go, until our taxi driver finally found someone to let us into a room. There are tons of people milling around, coming and going, and it's hard to tell who works here and who doesn't. The first night I had $160 stolen out of my room, even though the door was locked when we left. When I tried to confront the management, the man at the front (not behind the desk, there was never anyone behind the desk), pretended he didn't understand what I was saying. Overall, sketchy. I heard the same story from another backpacker that I met in Dogon about this hotel. If you stay here, take everything with you. Good luck!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank adleec

Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed for 2 nights during the 'Touareg Trail', a 4.000 km raid trough West Africa for Citroën 2CV's
Our room was in the annex, 100 m down the street. The room was simple, but clean. The remote for the airconditioning did not work, but a piece of duck tape did the job.
Breakfast is rather simple, and the coffee tasted like pool water.
The french director was not very friendly, Price for drinks were fairly high. Pizza's were delicious . Waiting for food took forever...
Bamako is not a very nice city: dusty, poor, bad smell, like all the african city's...
The hotel has WIFI, but the gateway to the internet does not always work, as is doesn't always in many African countries.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tjackske
Reviewed 23 June 2011

After having spent over a year staying in budget hotels in Africa, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel was. I stayed in the Annex down the street from the main hotel. My room was clean and comfortable, and everything was in good shape. I did have a problem with the toilet, but they called a plumber and had the problem fixed within a couple of hours. The staff were always very pleasant and helpful. The food at the restaurant is really good, albeit expensive. The garden is quiet and relaxing (although there's a problem with this; see below), and the swimming pool is nice as well (although there are no chairs to sit in next to the pool, which is kind of silly). Nice as the hotel was, I think the price (I paid 26,500 CFA francs a night, which is almost sixty US dollars) was a little high -- it's very nice, but not sixty dollars nice.

There are problems about this place, though.

First of all: the hotel has an on-site travel agency, which charges pretty high prices, and the hotel will put a lot of pressure on you to book tours through them. I arrived in Bamako after a twenty-one-hour bus ride from Ouaga, and the hotel clerk INSISTED on calling a tour guide to come and talk to me while I was trying to eat my dinner, even though I told him I'd just spent 21 hours on a bus, was completely exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to eat some food and then go to bed. He was so worried that I might slip through his fingers, so to speak, that he insisted I talk to HIS tour guide RIGHT THEN AND THERE, so they could get to work on me immediately, even though I'd promised I would talk to his tour guide in the morning. I thought this was really sleazy, not to mention pushy as hell, and it smacked of near-desperation. Not very attractive.

Second: They only have one person on duty in the evenings, so that one person has to handle the front desk and the restaurant, all by him/herself. They do their best, and I'm not blaming them, but of course the service is very bad, as there's only one person trying to do the work of three people. When you're charging sixty dollars a night per room, you can afford to hire a waiter for your restaurant! The food is fantastic, but you have to wait forever for it, and you have to go inside to order it. Sorry, but I think this is silly.

Third: in addition to the on-site tour agency which the hotel will constantly hound you to avail yourself of, the hotel ALSO not only allows, but actively encourages, the presence of various touts and hustlers on the premises. Thus, you will not get much chance to enjoy any peace and quiet in the attractive garden, as you will be constantly approached by people who want to sell you things, take you on city tours or taxi trips, show you their "artwork," etc. Thus, you not only have to deal with this constant hustling outside on the street, but you have to deal with it at your hotel as well. I think this is ridiculous, and I think the hotel is making a big mistake by encouraging this behavior.

Overall, I think this hotel's heart is in the right place. The people are nice, and the rooms certainly are very nice and comfortable. But the high-pressure tour-booking pitches, the inadequate staffing levels, and the presence of third-party touts and hustlers on the grounds... these are all real problems which detract from the guest's experience, and Hotel Tamana would be well-advised to think about addressing these things in the future. If this were some ten-dollar-a-night flophouse, I'd expect these kind of problems, but I did not expect them at such a nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank dumpendebat
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Free internet, pool, nice garden and satisfactory location. Restaurant in garden was relaxing. My room in main hotel was a bit dark. Travel companions complained of noise in room from nearby bar. Bla Bla Restaurant across street had better food value. Bamako is a different place and thus difficult to rate hotel. During 5 weeks in Mali, Niger, Chad and Cameroon I stayed in places that were worse. Cost seemed about right for value.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank abletokhuna
Reviewed 3 March 2011

This Hotel has a quite and charming garden with pool, where to rest after strolling around in Bamako's crazy streets. Bar service not great but acceptable for this hotel category. Breakfast was simple but really good. The rooms: our was in the main building; it was simply but nicely decorated really large and fairly cleaned, the bed was comfortable. Air conditioning system and all the bathroom's items worked perfectly. Not all the rooms are large. One of our group had a double for single use: wasn't bad but would have been too small for two people. The staff was kind and helpfull.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Alexstek
Reviewed 1 November 2010

A good place to stay, with a nice garden and swing pool. Not far from the city center

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Horrible and very rude service by the front desk. All of them, absolutely no smiles just bad looks. They tried to put us in one of their rooms not connected to the hotel. It was about 200 yards from the actual hotel in a dreary, grimy shack of a place. They are overpriced and WILL try to cheat you as they did on our bill. They took 45 min to bring us tea in the morning and just ignored us the entire time after they finally acknowledge us. Three separate incidents with three separate people they tried to cheat me out of money for things like laundry and setting up a ride for me. There are tourist hunters all over the place around the hotel making it hard to get away from them once they recognize your face and the fact you are staying at the hotel.
I RECOMMEND YOU STAY FAR WAY FROM THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business