The Sleeping Camel
US$120
US$160
US$169
Agoda.com
All reviewsgerman embassymeeting placeplace is greatprivate bathrelaxed atmosphereother travelersacross the bridgelive musicother guestsfree wifiair conditioningniger riverhostelphilmenucamperscompound
Reviewed 9 January 2012

A wonderful place to base your journey to the explore the markets,sights, restaurants of Bamako. Matt and his staff are marvelous. Room 3 has the best shower in all of Mali :-{)). We so enjoyed the fireworks show over the river for New Years Eve. Thanks for a memorable night and stay at both ends of our visit to Mali.

Room Tip: The rooms with in-suite bathrooms are spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2011

When we arrived at The Sleeping Camel, we were informed at reception that they never received my online reservation. However, they found us a room for the 4 days we were there. The staff is very helpful and the location is good with an amazing restaurant right down the street. The rooms are simple but clean. at first I was hesitant getting a room with shared bathrooms because I was afraid of hostel horror stories about bathroom. However, to my surprise I found the bathrooms very clean with two separate toilets and two separate showers, with hot water!!! I recommend this place to someone who doesn't need all the frills of a more expensive hotel; however, I suggest calling them to confirm if you book online.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank OlaPolska
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We really liked it here and found the staff to be super accommodating and helpful, whatever our problems were. Our host was welcoming, the beds were comfortable and the food was very good. It was a great platform from which to explore Mali!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The rooms are very basic although many have air-conditioning. Often bathrooms are shared yet they remain very clean and the showers work very well. It's also a backpackers' delight with room in its spacious location for campers and camping. However, the reason this place receives incredible reviews is the level of care and service delivered by all of the staff. They truly care about you and your experience in Mali and ensure that all your needs are met. My guide, Abdoul, was one of the finest young men I have ever met and made my Djenne and Dogon Country trip a truly unforgettable experience. I heard the same said about the other fine guides who lead treks throughout the country. Mali is not an easy country to visit with its difficult and unreliable travel and its obvious poverty and hardship. Using this hotel as your base for travel will enable you to fully enjoy your Mali experience and you will never forget the resilience and cheerfulness of a remarkable people. Best of luck in your travels!

Room Tip: Sit down with your trip guide before you travel and discuss all your needs and wants - they will give you a fair price, suggestions and the chance to improve your experience.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank rickg62
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We camped at this hotel location and absolutely loved it. I was able to call home in America for a very small fee, swam in a above ground pool, and relaxed while eating some good-priced food. Traveling through West Africa can be rough, but its nice when you can find a place like this to unwind. Location is wonderful in Bamako as well. There is an actual night club with real people dancing (not just prostitutes) and good music, just like in the West. Ask the manager where it is and they will tell you, its not far.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple