LAICO l'Amitie Hotel
US$90
US$91
US$169
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsbreakfast spreadnice poolthe riverbusiness tripinternet
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Food prices in the restaurant were expensive as well as alcohol. Most staff do not speak English. French is very handy, but there is a local dialect which doesn't translate well from French. Rooms were comfortable and the AC worked . Metal detectors at the entrance were eye wash--everyone just walked through and were not stopped when the detector went off. Internet was slow and expensive. Local calls very expensive. Recommend bringing your cell phone (don't know what type of network protocol they use , I had a T-Mobile Quad band and it didn't work) and buying a SIMM chip (a few dollars) for local communication. Orange is the largest service provider. Bar band was very good, but bar service was spotty. I'd go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ip241au
Reviewed 29 May 2010

The hotel is a beautiful hotel, with a golf course, gym, spa, and all the rare commodities you would not find in Mali. There only problem is their business practice. Is everything you would expect from a use car salesman. Your bill will only be incorrect, you will be charged more than you thought, and no one ever knows who's in charge, or would claim not to speak any English. If you do a group reservation prepare for a mess. Your room would most likely be sold, without management knowledge. The staff at the front desks seemed to have some type of “back pocket” deal with locals or mis-education about the hotel industry.
The hotel is rated a 5 star hotel, but according to whom. The carpets in the rooms are filthy dirty with cigarette burns; the pool is not chlorinated properly; many members of my party got sick after using the pool. The food is overly price, but at least it is cook properly and delicious. The staff is not friendly; all everyone cares for is that dollar. Do not even try to exchange money in the hotel; you will get a horrible exchange rate.
If i return to Bamako, i would not stay in this hotel for the simple human reasons. I would recommend staying in the Laico El Farouk, which is right down the street, it's the same chain hotel, but it is run more efficiently and it is just as nice.
The nightclub in the hotel is pretty nice, but beware of the security staff and most employees, some are connected to "not so kind" type of persons.
The gym is a joke. Only a couple of machines that are broken and some free weights. Do not plan on working out there. Nothing in there is sanitized after use. I did not try the sauna and spa because they are pretty expensive to use.
The beds are huge, but very uncomfortable mattresses.
You do get a lot of VIP's in the hotel, from ministers of countries, the Malian President, etc, so it is pretty nice to see that type of caliber, but... they are not paying customers like you and me, but get preferential treatment.
On the plus side, all rooms have a beautiful view of the Niger, pool, and golf course. And there is a great lobby to hang out at.
Some would say it's Africa, that's what you get. But there are much better quality hotels in the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jgglaz
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I was very impressed with the staff professional and attentiviness to our needs and requests.

The food was fantastic, you don't have to go out unless to visit the city if time allows.
I am planning to go back this time for leissure and visit the country.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank easygoing5
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I travelled to Bamako for business in June 09 and and stayed at l'amitie. I had a rather unpleasant experience, especially given that I was coming from Burkina Faso, where Laico has a superb facility in Ouaga. I struggled in l'amitie as I found the rooms too small, filthy, the carpet stained, walls too thin and service all right. I thought it was especially hard to find a quiet place in the hotel where I could work. Rooms were noisy, there isn't a quiet corner in the lobby, and the business center closes too early. I had to fight to have them change my room, after which they moved me to the 14th floor, where rooms were much nicer and newer. I found out later that rooms after that floor were rennovated but also have a higher fee.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2009

What stands out most for me is the view of the pool and surroundings including the niger river from a distance. The quality of the food is outstanding. The service generally is very good and staff very attentive to the guests' needs.

The only grips are that the internet is not free and the carpets in the room I occupied needs some serious cleaning.

I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business