“Nice Rooms and Good Service”
Review of Azalai Grand Hotel

Azalai Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Bamako
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed for one night while transiting Bamako. The Hotel is well appointed and secure. I am not sure if I was in a standard room but it was large and very comfortable. It had a mini-bar and wifi available in the room. I found the service to be very efficient and reliable. I wished I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AdamL1972

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I was visiting my family who live in the area - and we ate a lunch at this hotel. It was very clean, more modern than most of Mali would expect, and the wine, buffet was very beautiful and tasted wonderful. The chicken in the stew was the local very small birds but the taste of the stew and meat was good . . . nice scalloped potatoes and great french desserts. There was taxi service available - a very calm and simple city to visit. . . not a tourism spot - still untouched in many ways. Rotary uses this hotel so you know it is a solid place. The market is walking distance out the door and around the block. This is not rated for New York but a third world country so take that into context. CLEAN bathrooms !! a delight - a pool view in the dining room.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at the Azalai Grand for 10 days - on business. The rooms are fine. The doormen were always very helpful but that was where the hospitality ended. Unfortunately there aren't any restaurants in the immediate vicinity so I was forced to eat in the hotel restaurant - at least for a few days. The food was terrible and the servers were just plain rude - if you could ever get them to come to your table anyway. It didn't change, even when a manager came around. They would stand at the bar laughing at customers and refusing to help them. They tried to overbill me by 5000 francs for the last breakfast I had there. For the last 5 days of my stay, I just caught a taxi to restaurants that were too far to walk. And on that note - don't let the front desk "organize your taxi".... It will be an unofficial taxi and will charge you double the going rate..

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cielopictures
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We flew in to Bamako October 20, 2011 and stayed two nights at this hotel. It was a good choice as it offered all that we wanted. The room was clean and fresh. No problems what so ever. We liked it more than its sister hotel where we stayed just one night at the end of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Micheljane
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I was transferred here from Hotel Salaam when they made an error with my reservation.
Positives:
- clean, spacious, beautiful rooms
- fast enough internet with a cord provided by front desk (wifi only in lobby)
- a real fitness room!

Negatives:
- The restaurant had a very small portion of the items on their menu and took great liberties with making substitutions without asking.
- The hotel required a deposit up front which was unlike other hotels I'd stayed at in the city . This would have been fine except for the fact that it was Sunday. I was told that you can't pay with AmEx on Sundays (??) but the banks were also closed so I couldn't take money out. It seemed like my only option was the terrible hotel exchange rate (significantly higher than the sister hotel I was at an hour before) but I couldn't even get a straight answer about how much of a deposit they wanted. Eventually the staff called a black market money changer for me who gave me a decent rate so I could pay in cash.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank 0_Just_Laura_0
Reviewed 16 November 2009

This was my first trip back to Africa in 9 years and my first ever visit to Bamako having lived and worked a total of 14 years in West and East Africa in 4 different countries. I was holding a driver safety seminar and stayed 12 days in the Grand Hotel.

The hotel certainly exceeded my (slightly low) expectations. I found the staff to be perfectly pleasant and friendly; the room was large, quiet and cool; the bathroom was adequately clean and decent; there was free, reliable broadband (though rather slow).

The only aspect that was disappointing was the restaurant where the quality of the food was not too good and it was also very overpriced. I had several much better meals at much cheaper prices in eateries in Bamako. The buffet breakfast had an adequate selection; I liked the locally made guava jam.

There were rather a lot of mosquitoes in the room and restaurant so I was glad I had packed a spray can of room insecticide and my DEET lotion. With that I did not get bitten once.

So I have given this hotel a 4 star rating (very good) as it is one of the best business hotels I have used in Africa. I would quite happily stay there again. And I really liked Bamako (not the traffic though) - I found the Malians to be great.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank montywest
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in January 2009. I don’t think I’d stay here again, but I might, depending what else was available. I have a much more wishy-washy opinion than usual about this hotel. What it did well, it did very well, but parts were – not good.

Positives:

– The location was good, near the train station.

– Excellent breakfast buffet, my favorite during the month I spent in West Africa – mainly because of an exquisite black-eyed peas dish, and some excellent cold-cereal choices. A real treat. The buffet was also completely stocked and ready at 5 AM (yes, 5 AM!), much appreciated since I had an early flight out.

– I had a huge room (I was in a single) with a comfortable bed.

– My A/C/ was pretty loud, which meant I didn’t hear any other noise from street, other rooms, or hall.

– There were two excellent reading lights next to the bed.

Negatives/other factors:

– The A/C was acceptable, but not great; I prefer a cold room, and was not able to get it as cool as I would have liked.

– There was no mosquito netting in my room, and there were mosquitos in it. The lobby was also filled with a large visible cloud of mosquitos.

– I had no towels at all, and despite asking twice, never got any.

– The trash in my room had not been emptied before I occupied it; one trash can had water bottles, food wrappers, and used q-tips in it (ick).

– Although my single room was huge, the two twin beds in it were very narrow, narrower than the typical twin bed. They were comfortable, though.

In summary, this hotel could be improved on both in terms of cleanliness and of service, and the rooms need to be equipped with mosquito netting. Bonus points for the buffet (and its early availability), though, and for the good reading lights (rare in West Africa) and comfortable bed. Usually I’m pretty sure after a hotel stay whether I’d return to it or not. I’m not so sure about the Grand. Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on what else I could find out there, but leaning toward no.

Stayed: January 2009