“Great hotel, VFM, Friendly staff”
Review of Azalai Grand Hotel

Azalai Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Bamako
Reviewed 11 September 2012

It is the best hotels to stay in Bamako at the moment as I have stayed in Hotel Azalai Salam as well in 2010. But, this is pure value for money, great and helpful staff throughout the hotel and most particularly, I feel really safe here because normally I come here for business and there are not much hotels in West Africa where you can feel safe. Been staying here for 5 years now. Infact, would be staying here again this month as well. Overall, I would recommend this to everyone, go for it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed here for a week and although I'm sure you could fine a fancier hotel, this hotel get's the job done, and does it well. The staff are super friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and functional. I would certainly stay here again on a business trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Krista Z
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed for one night while transiting Bamako. The Hotel is well appointed and secure. I am not sure if I was in a standard room but it was large and very comfortable. It had a mini-bar and wifi available in the room. I found the service to be very efficient and reliable. I wished I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank AdamL1972
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I was visiting my family who live in the area - and we ate a lunch at this hotel. It was very clean, more modern than most of Mali would expect, and the wine, buffet was very beautiful and tasted wonderful. The chicken in the stew was the local very small birds but the taste of the stew and meat was good . . . nice scalloped potatoes and great french desserts. There was taxi service available - a very calm and simple city to visit. . . not a tourism spot - still untouched in many ways. Rotary uses this hotel so you know it is a solid place. The market is walking distance out the door and around the block. This is not rated for New York but a third world country so take that into context. CLEAN bathrooms !! a delight - a pool view in the dining room.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at the Azalai Grand for 10 days - on business. The rooms are fine. The doormen were always very helpful but that was where the hospitality ended. Unfortunately there aren't any restaurants in the immediate vicinity so I was forced to eat in the hotel restaurant - at least for a few days. The food was terrible and the servers were just plain rude - if you could ever get them to come to your table anyway. It didn't change, even when a manager came around. They would stand at the bar laughing at customers and refusing to help them. They tried to overbill me by 5000 francs for the last breakfast I had there. For the last 5 days of my stay, I just caught a taxi to restaurants that were too far to walk. And on that note - don't let the front desk "organize your taxi".... It will be an unofficial taxi and will charge you double the going rate..

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cielopictures
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We flew in to Bamako October 20, 2011 and stayed two nights at this hotel. It was a good choice as it offered all that we wanted. The room was clean and fresh. No problems what so ever. We liked it more than its sister hotel where we stayed just one night at the end of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Micheljane
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I was transferred here from Hotel Salaam when they made an error with my reservation.
Positives:
- clean, spacious, beautiful rooms
- fast enough internet with a cord provided by front desk (wifi only in lobby)
- a real fitness room!

Negatives:
- The restaurant had a very small portion of the items on their menu and took great liberties with making substitutions without asking.
- The hotel required a deposit up front which was unlike other hotels I'd stayed at in the city . This would have been fine except for the fact that it was Sunday. I was told that you can't pay with AmEx on Sundays (??) but the banks were also closed so I couldn't take money out. It seemed like my only option was the terrible hotel exchange rate (significantly higher than the sister hotel I was at an hour before) but I couldn't even get a straight answer about how much of a deposit they wanted. Eventually the staff called a black market money changer for me who gave me a decent rate so I could pay in cash.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business