“There must be somewhere better”
Review of Azalai Hotel Salam

Azalai Hotel Salam
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Bamako
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Large, tired hotel. Location was poor, with no where to walk to as the hotel is surrounded by big, busy highways. Our room looked ok, although tired, with dings on furniture...but the AC was never got on top of the heat (others in our group didn't have that complaint), a cloth table covering was stained and dirty and we found cockroaches in the bathroom. Room decor included 1 or 2 paintings w/African motif, but otherwise, fabrics and style were Motel 6-neutral. Lobby was large. Vendor of local jewelry and CDs added fun. Dining facilities were just fine - 1st floor dining room w/nice light. Staff was very good, attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for another room is AC isn't adequate.
  • Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 1 January 2011

This is probably the fanciest hotel in Bamako, with a very nice garden, a poolside bar and place to get sandwiches, chilly pool, lots of lounge chairs and a faithful clientel of expats, some of whom appear to be longterm residents, others new expats with the families just arriving. The bar in the hotel is good for light meals but can get pretty smoky when the locals an French tourists roll in, so wussy American tourists should avoid it.

Rooms are nice enough; the hotel has ATM's where you can withdraw local money using your debit card easily, and there are a couple of little shops there as well.

You're in Mali, so lower your expectations a bit, relax and enjoy what is a luxury hotel for the city.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2010

This hotel was beautiful and clean but I had a few negative experiences:
1) I returned to my room one afternoon to find my door ajar. Apparently the cleaning staff neglected to close it. While nothing was missing this seemed like a pretty clear problem.
2) The hotel made a mistake with my reservation and I had to finish out my stay at their sister hotel. They were kind and made the arrangements for me but still...
3) The brunch buffet was open only a small fraction of the advertised times. When I returned with colleagues at 11:30am on a Sunday famished, we were told there was no food. Eventually we convinced a server to make us omelets but then were charged the full price of the buffet (nearly $20 USD each). When we protested the server acknowledged that the price was ridiculous and offered a free buffet at a later date but it was our last day and honestly I felt taken advantage of.
4) In general, it seemed like the restaurant was never open when we wanted something to eat. I would often plan to meet my colleagues in the restaurant during the stated operating hours and we would find the lights off and no staff. We would then just go back to our rooms and eat room service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The Hotel Salam is definately one of the better choices in Bamako you get large rooms with a nice big comfortable bed a decent toilet bath and shower. The staff have proven friendly, i speak little french but so far have got by on this. The only downside i have seen so far is the restaraunts menu is a little streamlined! i'm here for a week and i'll be through it in a few days. Maybe a touch on the expensive side for Mali too. That said you won't find a lot better around here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank swiftnsure
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I recently spent one night at the Salam for business.

The hotel is centrally located, rooms are rather large and the food from the restaurant is acceptable + they offer free Internet in rooms.
But the rooms are a bit tired, particularly the beds...

I may prefer the Hotel de l'Amitié (much more expensive though).

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank manywhere
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Yeah, if you are use to US standards, ouch, you're in trouble. This would be comparable to a poorly kept hotel in the outskirts of Atlanta that lost it's Ramada franchise due to lack of upkeep. Get the picture? On the bright side, it is a safe place.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank corevel
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Stayed here in May as part of a conference. It is gorgeous on the outside and overlooks some equally stunning buildings. My room was very spacious and really quite nice. But, the toilet didn't flush the entire time I was there, and no matter how often I asked for it to be fixed, it wasn't. This got pretty inconvenient. Otherwise, room was fine. Air conditioning worked fine for most of my stay, until something broke and flooded the hallway, my room and apparently it was an air-con thing, so there were some days when I didn't have it at all. On the 5th floor in May it gets hot!! the lobby staff was nice enough and were helpful to explain how to get to the market, mosque etc. but not otherwise so helpful. Some were really great, others not so much. I speak French and it was fine, others who did not ran into trouble.

Also in the lobby is an ATM, which I used and was fine - my card wasn't stolen or anything - and there are a couple of shops, they are okay but expensive and some of them, the people are never there when you go to look in them. The "fitness center" is a small smelly room with a treadmill that doesn't really work and an older model universal type unit. It's dark and I never saw anyone in it... less than inspiring!

The pool was wonderful, and the pool bar was also very very nice. Service was fantastic and the beef brochettes were amazing. The beef here is really good. The frites were also good. The nice restaurant on the 2nd floor - don't be fooled, it was horrid. There was almost nothing available and then the service was the poorest I've ever had. The waiters actually loudly complained about us to a nearby table (for the apparently terrible transgression of asking things like, "so that table got the very last of all seven of these dishes?" and "how come we've been waiting an hour and haven't been served but they just sat down and ordered and got their appetizers in 10 minutes?").

There is also a bar/cafe in the lobby and it was fine - they also had the brochettes. And there is a bar on the 2nd floor across from the restaurant, at night these two areas are prostitute magnets and they are okay to hang around in, if you are in a group, but if you aren't then it can be uncomfortable. (It can also be amusing.)

The conference facilities weren't at all bad, although we lost power a number of times and once was for an hour or so. I wasn't thrilled with the location, because I like to be able to walk to the main market and other attractions, there wasn't even a little stand where we could buy water or other sundries but it seemed to be a peaceful, safe area. Oh - water - I drank from the tap and suffered no ill effects at all.

Overall I think it's the best you can do in Bamako, but remember that 4 star here isn't as 4 star in other regions, and lower your expectations accordingly!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business