“Surprisingly Nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #143 of 933 Restaurants in Mauritius
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: SELFISH IS A COSY RESTAURANT MAINLY SERVING SEAFOOD. OUR SUSHI DISHES ARE BASED ON MAURITIAN FLAVOURS SUCH AS GUAVA AND TAMARIND AND ARE A NICE TASTY TWIST ON TRADITIONAL SUSHI. WE ALSO SERVE DELICIOUS BURGHERS WITH HOMEMADE FRIES AND A BEEF FILLET TO DIE FOR. OUR LOVELY TROPICAL GARDEN SITUATED AT THE BACK OF THE RESTAURANT IS WELCOMING YOU TO RELAX AND ENJOY A DRINK WITH FRIENDS OR FAMILY. SO TREAT YOURSELF, BE SelFISH!
Trou aux Biches
“Surprisingly Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Went there to grab a quick lunch on Sunday and had a great time.

I was joined by my partner and we arrived around 13h and we're welcomed by the owner and we're sat down quickly and easily.

We ordered our drinks and we're served very fast - 2 bottled beers.
as it was our first time there we really enjoyed reading their very interesting menu.

We finally ordered - Grilled fish & Calamari Steak for her, as well as some sushi as starters.

A few minutes after we were suddenly attacked by bees coming from the plot of land in front. Luckily the owner and his staff were very proactive as there were kids within and they rushed us inside to their back yard where they also had some tables. Within minutes we were out of reach of the bees and could continue with our day.

The food came a few minutes later and we could finally taste the sushi and the unexpected blue wasabi. The grilled fish was cooked like I love it, i.e, smooth and tender. Pity the sauce wasn't as great as I would have expected it. The Calamari Steak on the other side of the table was going faster than I even had time to ask for a bite - must have been great I imagine.

Finally we finished our nice lunch and settled 'el conto' like our waiter explained.

Good experience and great ambiance.

We will definitely return sometimes soon.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
“Very Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This charming place offers delicious food at a good price! Especially the Sushi was amazing:)
The music was great too. A hip restaurant for everyone.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank tschesel
PAC
“Fish and Chips - Great for what it is!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I eat there twice a week and I can appreciate Selfish for what it is, "a fish and chips joint"... I am fond foodie and eat out a lot, and I can honestly assure you that the "profit margins" are low for the high quality of product passed on to the customer; in other words you get "value for money" fish, prawns, calamari... That's why they are booked out most of the time! I mean honestly guys, have you seen many other restaurant in grand bay doing so well (apart form happy raja, bottegita, and the beach house) in the past three years? No, because a lot of them (not all) don't respect the customer, and they practice "average food at a high price". The crew at Selfish, led by Beata & Sebastien are always so friendly and welcoming and I personally am disgusted sometimes to witness the arrogance and unfriendliness of the "new passing clientele" who pay so little and except gastronomic food and service! I mean really?! by the way, where else does one eat fish and chips in the north? To all those who have had an issue with Selfish, why don't you try "Le Pescatore" up the road, where you can except very high standards and pay for it ! My message to these eternally unsatisfied people is "if you want to be grumpy please go elsewhere" because you spoil my mood and that of the regular guests of Selfish. I want Selfish to be around for a long time so I can always have a lovely place to enjoy "fish and chips" during the week, so don't drive the place out of business with your unjustifiable expectations and negative comments, its so easy to criticize everything all the time; my advice to all just come have a good time, hang out, pay little, and enjoy the only real "fish and chips" around and the homely vibe.

• Visited February 2014
“Didn't meet expectations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

While the service was friendly I found the seating uncomfortable. I understand and appreciate ambience is an important aspect of a night out, I don't really want this at the price of comfort.

I also found the home cooked chips (or fries) sadly lacking.

Finally, when during the meal the waitress knocked over one of our 3/4 full drinks, it was not replaced or deducted from the menu.

My impression was that the staff are too frightened of the management to act proactively.

I will not be returning. FishAways and Ocean Basket offer the same range of food in the same region at a similar price without the experiences I had.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Good in the day, average at best at night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

The first time we went there the food was served promptly, service was welcoming and price reasonable. We were excited to go there again one day ! Unfortunately, our second visit was very disappointing. We came for dinner at 8:00pm on a Saturday night, had to wait 15 minutes to get a table (that was reasonable since we didn't reserve a table) so we took a drink in the back of the restaurant where there's a bar. After 20 minutes, we got our table and waited another 15 minutes so that the waiters could take our order. We ordered three margaritas which never came and we instead had three different drinks, we drank it since we were thirsty and couldn't really care after a long journey around the island. After a very long wait, our dishes came (we did think so) at 9:45pm but lousy waters did an error so it was taken back to another table. We finally got our starter at 10 pm and our main courses at 10:30 pm ! We were tired and hungry on saturday night so our experience was far from being good....

We expected a discount on the bill as this would make up (a bit) for the ruined night... but instead got a card for a free starter for the next time we went there. Thing is, after this experience I don't think we'll go there again, it's a pitty since the first time was really nice !

• Visited December 2013