“Helpful workers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Fatima's Place Maputo
Ranked #10 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Maputo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Helpful workers”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights on a world challenge expedition and it was just what we needed, open social areas for big groups and large dorms; also a basic kitchen area where we could self cater and the staff were really friendly and helpful which was great since it was our first time in Mozambique!

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We were driving from Kruger to Maputo. Never seen such an ugly capital as that one. When we arrived at Fatima's, I was happy the gate closed and we were save. Showering is horrible and beds are not that good. But nice vibe there! Friendly people and free WIFI.

Stayed July 2014
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed one night at Fatima's after not finding any accommodation in the city we decided to make a stop at Fatima's. It was a bit expensive and cost 2,500 mzn for a private room with a bathroom, but the hot water did not work which was very disappointing! Neither did the WIFI. They did have secure parking which was nice but we were happy to get out of the city the next morning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at fatimas for two nights in a 12 bed dorm. On arrival the staff weren't very friendly and only one staff member was friendly and helpful for our stay, which wad mire suprising as theyre really helpful over email when prebooking and send out info for onward travel and visa. The place is huge but very basic, tiny kitchen thats not adequate to cook anything in and has no washing up liquid and bugs on the crockery. Nice outside area with sofas and tables but lots if mozzies and a few other creepy crawlies. The dorm was ok but only half the beds had nets and these were holed. Bathrooms very poor, bugs, unclean and very few to share between a lot of people. It's a little out of town too but in a nice enough area with 24hrs security.
The bus to tofo runs every day and the staff will (grudgingly) organise it for you.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Maputo hotels

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed there some nights, and found it just ok. Not specially good, not specially bad. Though my friend got something that looked like bed bugs after the first night. She changed her bed, and didn´t notice anything after that.
The location is not that good, a bit far to walk to the center, but with a taxi it would go quick.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Fatima's Backpackers in Maputo is unfortunately the worst backpackers I've come across in all of Southern Africa. I was placed in the female dormitory, which a tiny room for 8 people - but that didn't really bother me, as I'm generally super low maintenance.

What did bother me was waking up halfway through the night to discover that I had bed bugs in my bed. I had bumps all over my skin and on the side of my face. To top it all off, even with the mosquito net, mosquitos somehow found their way into my bed at night. Finally, after tossing and turning a bit, I decided to get up at 4AM to use their internet to do work, since they only turn on the internet between 7PM and 7AM (which I thought was a bit bizarre, but I went with it). To make it worse, the internet wasn't even on at that time - I guess they shut it off when the guests go to sleep, which I thought was a bit unfair, especially if you advertise that you keep your internet on between those specific hours.

All of that (plus the overpriced room - 500MtC to be cramped in a small room like that? I found cheaper and better accommodation in Tofo and Vilankulos, the touristy areas of Mozam!) wouldn't have even bothered me, if the staff and the boss had reacted accordingly. When I told the staff what happened, they even admitted that they had had the same complaint twice over the past couple of days of bed bugs... But THEN said, "But we don't think it is bed bugs. It can't be." When I told them that it might be a huge possibility, since I am the third guest to have complained in the past several days and I had the skin to prove it, they still refused to believe me. When I told them that the internet wasn't working between 4 and 7AM, the staff member I spoke to said, "I'm not calling you a liar and I am not telling you that I do not believe you... But the internet must have been on at that time. There should have been no problem."

Umm... What??? I believe you are calling me a liar, sir. Why in the world would I lie about that? At that point, I asked to speak to the manager and asked for some sort of discount, at the very least. After the staff member got the hostel owner on the phone, he returned and said that a discount was not possible at all. Needless to say, I cancelled the rest of my stay (four nights more) and left to find other accommodation. Overall, really the worst backpackers I've come across.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chibirdfreebird
Perth
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Spent a couple of days and stayed in a dorm for 500 met per person.
The hostel as a good security service, good bar and equipped kitchen,
Staff speaks English and can arrange local transports and city tours.
Unfortunately, during the afternoon there was no electricity; apparently it was a problem in the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends