Overall this is a decent hotel that offers good value for money in an expensive city. It is basic but it is clean, has a restaurant with a limited menu but the food I received was always of a decent standard, has hot water and is in a reasonable location. Taxix can be got easily to anywhere in the main town/business area. Service was a little slow but this seems to be the norm in Africa from my experience (of 3*/mid range hotels). I will stay there again.
- the price, this is reasonbaly priced for Maputo which seems to be an expensive city
- cleanliness, my room was spotless and the communal areas were also spotlessly clean
- airport transfer at 150MZN, in a modern, clean, air conditioned car. Nicer and cheaper than a taxi
- taxi rank outside hotel
- food of decent quality, although the menu is quite limited
- you can get a reasonable bottle of wine at a reasonable price (600 MZN for the portuguese wines)
- I always managed to get hot water in the morning - open the tap wide and wait a couple of minutes (although how ethically sound this is in a country suffering water shortage is questionable)
- one day there was no water, but I think this is not specific to the Mocambicano. I was attending meetings at the hotel Tivoli and there was no running water in the bathrooms on one afternoon
- getting towels was a bit hit and miss, one day I had 2, the next none, the next 1. They always rectified this but I had to wait about 30 mins to get towels on one day, and the next day when I requested an additional towel it never arrived
- Service at check in was slow and frustrating, I was told several times that they did not have a reservation for me and I asked them to keep looking, they eventually found it. This was after calling up and checking at least 5 times. They promised to send email confirmation on each of the 5 times and never did. But again my experience is that this is typical of may hotels in Africa.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Jovago.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Mocambicano reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.