“Simple but good”

Ranked #11 of 41 Maputo B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Simple but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This nice little B & B is pretty good value in a city where accommodation seems vastly overpriced. It's clean, simple and quiet (as its name suggests!). There's a pleasant courtyard out the back, good wifi, and you get a pretty good breakfast (it's a serve yourself arrangement, with quite a few options.)

The italian owner, Andrea, is charming and helpful, as are the staff. All in all nothing fancy but good value, welcoming and very pleasant people.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Anemone C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Maputo, Mozambique
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed 16 days in April 2014. The guest house has very good client service, warm staff who never miss to say "Bom dia" and assist whenever possible. Breakfast is wonderful and by the way, you can cook your own meals in the very well maintained kitchen, I tell you everything works its incredible. The rooms are very comfortable and the cleaniliness is outstanding especially the bathrooms, the curtains are unique, warm combination of colors that completely sooth any form of stress especially after a busy day. The spaces are in such a way that you get to interact with other guests, at the Quite Corner I made many friends and we had a great time in the evening at the common garden area. I think the thing I liked most was that there is nobody putting you under any pressure. Andrew always listens and is always willing to assist. Its is best value for money I could find for same quality of service. It was an amazing experience and advice everyone to choose Quite Corner when in Maputo.

Room Tip: First floor room facing the entrance has a beautiful tree in its view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bilha K
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here for one night at the end of last year. The room was clean, basic and attractive, and the B and B has polite, if disinterested staff. However, my three main issues with the place are as follows: First, the cost - this place is a basic B and B. This does not justify the large cost of the rooms. Second, the breakfast - essentially a loaf of stale bread (if other guests have left any, that is), low-grade instant coffee and raw eggs which you seem to have to cook yourself. The kitchen was dirty with used pans so not really helping you to cook for yourself. Third, the noise - the guest house should be re-named 'Dog Bark Corner', or perhaps 'Banging Door Corner'. Even by Maputo standards this guest house resulted in a very disrupted sleep. Finally, I initially booked for two nights and found out after the first that I had to leave early. They still made me pay for two nights though. In retrospect I wish I had challenged this money-grabbing as I effectively paid the equivalent of £120 to stay one night in a basic and noisy B and B. You would be well-advised to take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank K S
LeleMj, Host at The Quiet Corner Guest House, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Customer

Thanks for taking the time of leaving a review on our house. We really appreciate it.
I was happy to read that you found the room clean and attractive and that you found that our staff is polite and disinterested.

You also pointed out some issues which unfortunately made your stay uncomfortable and of which I am very sorry. I hope you will give us another chance and will eventually change your mind on the value of our service.

First of all I am sorry you were not happy with our prices. However, I have to say that at the time you stayed with us, our prices were already quite competitive among prices offered by other guesthouses of the same standard in Maputo.
Please refer to the reviews by other guests who had been hosted in other guesthouses and hotels in Maputo before being in our guesthouse and have a different opinion on our prices.
I am afraid costs in Maputo are a bit high and this inevitably reflects on the price of services.
Please notice also that from February 2014 (about 3 months before you wrote this review) we further lowered our prices!
Kindly refer to our website where you find our prices always updated.

As about breakfast please notice that early in the morning you would find the bread from the day before. We keep the bread on a bread bag to preserve its freshness as much as possible; however, fresh bread (or warm bread) from the bakery is always available from around 8 AM.
Our breakfast is self-service. However, our staff would be more than happy to fry an egg for you or to help you up with whatever you request.
For example apart from the soluble American coffee we also offer the Italian express coffee and if you don’t feel like preparing the coffee yourself, our staff would be more than happy to help.

I am sorry that you found dirty pans in the kitchen. This shouldn’t have happened. We got distracted somehow and I apologize for this.
It’s unfortunate that you experienced noises from doors during the night and thanks for pointing this out. We put some tick stickers on room doors to eliminate/diminish the noise they make when shut. We will check the stickers to make sure they are in place and replace anyone if needed.
It’s also unfortunate that you were disturbed by a barking dog. Our neighborhood is actually among the quietest in Maputo. However, our house is just a normal one, aside other houses and our neighbor owns a dog, who does bark sometimes.

As about your last minute cancellation, I must say that we have a policy for cancellations, written in our guest book available at the reception and in all rooms.
At the time I am writing (and at the time you were with us) the policy says that the cancellation is free if you warn us at least 24 hours in advance and that we charge one day stay for later cancellations.
Please note that for special circumstances we might decide to refund you 100% even if you cancel with less than 24 hour notice. We have done this in the past as you can read from other reviewers. However this is not guaranteed, so please be aware of our cancellation policy when you plan your trip.

Thanks for taking the time of reading my response.
Hopefully you will stay with us again.

Best Regards
Andrew
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed 4 nights in February and had safe parking for my car, a good clean room and efficient friendly staff responding quickly to my requests.

I enjoyed staying in the guest house and it is a viable alternative to staying in overpriced hotels.
I'll definitively visit them again when in Maputo.

2 Thank Hendrik B
Namur, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I would recommend this place for the budget traveler who wants to be treated well! Rooms are small but adequate with en-suite bathroom. WiFi is not always at the top and it is sometimes necessary to go out of your room for a WiFi connection. The guesthouse is situated in a rather central part of Maputo, close to the business activities. The neighborhood is safe. There is room for 2 cars in a guarded and closed parking in front of the hotel.
Breakfast is a self service and self cooking affair but you don't have to wash the dishes!

Room Tip: all rooms are ok
1 Thank raobert
LeleMj, Host at The Quiet Corner Guest House, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us and I am happy to hear you would recommend our house.
Your review is very fair and I thank you for that.

I am posting this reply just to say that at the time you were with us we had some misconfiguration problem of our WiFi system. Only 2 out of 4 routers of the house were well configured leaving some areas uncovered or with a weak signal.
Thanks to you and to other Guests that like you pointed this out we could realize the problem and fix it within a few days.

It is now working perfectly :-)

All the best
Andrew
Inhambane, Inhambane, Mozambique
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Clean - tidy - well organized - shuttle service even cheaper than taxis to go the city.
I really enjoyed staying here, It was quite at night very restful and i would like to thank Andrea for his hospitality Thank You

1 Thank Ev D
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in January 2014. The management responded efficiently to my email prior to arrival. I was met at the airport as per schedule. The place was clean, friendly and convenient for my meetings at Eduardo Mondlane University. Its good value for money considering that hotel accommodation in Maputo is quite costly.

Room Tip: My room was not facing to guest house entrance.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business