“Bad organisation”

Ranked #11 of 42 Maputo B&B and Inns
Angers, France
“Bad organisation”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I can unfortunately not comment on the accommodation itself because the establishment didn't honour my reservation. I booked in December 2013 for a trip in March 2014 (difficult not to book far in advance when you're arriving in a foreign country like Mozambique from overseas). I received an email confirmationan and invoice (from Albert at reception) which I used to get a visa for Mozambique. Then on February 10, five weeks before my arrival I got a "reminder" saying "Hope to hear from you soon". I re-confirmed my dates at that time. The day after my departure for Africa, another reminder was sent but I no longer had email then, so couldn't re-re-confirm. Two days later my reservation was cancelled and I was informed by an email I obviously couldn't access and only found once back home. On arrival, I was told they knew nothing of my reservation. Incidentally, two other people had the same issue while I was there. When you arrive at 6 pm in Maputo, given the state of the roads and lack of street signs, the last thing you want is to search for other accommodation. They did kindly find me somewhere else, a minimum courtesy. Maybe it's a nice place, but the poor organisation meant that I will never know and I therefore wouldn't trust their booking system.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Craig S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Maputo is generally costly- accommodation, meals etc, so this is a great alternative, there are no signs to let you know that's the place but the rooms are nice, everything else is quite basic, no toiletries provided such as soap, shampoo, shower cap so carry your own....there's a nice small garden at the back and a pool where one can hang out, breakfast is also quite basic but okay, you can survive a few days

Room Tip: room 7 is ocean facing, if thats of interest
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wema34
Cotia, SP
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The room we stayed at was very spacious and included a fan, aircon, ensuited bath with a nice shower, cable tv, and a balcony shared with the room next door. The staff was very friendly during our stay, alowing us to use their fridge to cold a bottle of wine and suplied us with kitchen utensils so we could eat a pizza we ordered. They also have pool so you can deal with Maputo's heat and a coffee machine you can use anytime (including mokas, capuccionos, and others). The breakfast is ok and you can have it near the pool. There is also a small private parking in front of it with a security guard 24 hours.
There is an italian restaurant nearby but if you want something else you will need transportation to the main restaurant street. The distance could be made by foot, but it is not very safe, specially at night. As usual in Maputo, the place is not cheap, but has a good cost/benefit relation.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

Loved the decor. We were given room number 5. Though it got a bit noisy at night as we were facing a busy road and there seems to be a club near the place as it got a bit noisy at night. We had a good stay, the pool is small but in a summer day it's nice to have a dip. The room was big with high sealing.The stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2012
Cape Town
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed here on our first night in Maputo and loved it. The building itself is lovely with high ceilings, big windows and an airy feel, and the rooms are huge, clean and comfortable. The staff are really friendly and helpful and the guest house is in a quiet, leafy area of Maputo. Don't be put off by the fact that it's in a suburb and not smack bang in the centre of town - Maputo is not London-sized and it costs no more than 200mt to get anywhere in the city in a cab - we found it worth it to be (only slightly) further out, but somewhere which was quiet and really pleasant. The breakfast was nothing special and could be improved but this isn't really a sticking point. We'd definitely recommend this place, especially if it's your first time in the city.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed here one night. Found the location great. For a guest house this was a very nice place, with a pleasant atmosphere, clean and big rooms, with high ceilings, beautiful polished wooden floors, a good combination of modern and old school decoration, good linen and new bathroom.

Would stay here again. Breakfast is basic, but good if you want something quick and simple.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mollytravellers
Bushbuckridge, South Africa
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Cleanliness, Comfort and safety is on point,but i was very very dissapointed by the limited breakfast buffet(1 cereal, 1 type of youghurt, fruit salad , brown or white bread, eggs, tea, coffee and Juice), so be prepared to have an early lunch. The staff is very friendly, we arrived late and they offered to order fast food for us. The television channels very limited and all are in portuguese, could'nt catch up on world news.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple