“Good enough for the future queen of Denmark - good enough for me”

Mafalala Walking Tour
Ranked #2 of 9 Tours in Maputo
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good enough for the future queen of Denmark - good enough for me”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Went on the Mafalala walking tour in Mozambique, Maputo. The tour was worth every cent - best value for money experience ever. The tour is a walking tour of an area of Maputo called Mafalala - an area which in many ways is the cradle of politics, music, culture and literature of Mozambique.
Our guide was amazing - extraordinarily knowledgeable about all aspects of Mozambican life, history, current affairs.
I cannot recommend this tour enough. As to the title of this entry, apparently the crown princess Mary of Denmark partook in this tour while visiting Maputo last year.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank milla222

Leuven
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice experience”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Go on a Mafalala tour to experience the history of Mozambique. It is a poor area but your guide(s) will make you feel comfortable. Especially the historical events and people who are linked to this area make the story of Mafalala an interesting one. On the daytour a performance of Nampula women singing and dancing is included.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Inevds
Vancouver
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A True Cultural Experience”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I was lucky enough to go on a night walking tour. Mafalala is a very poor area in Maputo similar to a favella in Rio or a township. There was 10 of us and we were escorted by 3 locals. We visited a bar in the main square, a house where we were served a home-cooked authentic Mozambique meal and stopped for some local music. You read about authentic cultural experiences - this was way beyond anything I'd ever experienced. This is not your usual tourist tour - you must be escorted and stay with your group. As one of my guides said, this is a slum. The people were very warm and welcoming. I have many memories of my time in Africa but I will never forget that night! Ever! I highly recommend it! The people that started these tours are trying to stimulate the local economy (80% unemployed) and profits are reinvested. Try it - you won't be disappointed.

Visited October 2011