“Disgusting”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Maputo
Ulm
“Disgusting”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I recently stayed again at Monte Carlo Hotel. Since 9 years I’m coming to Maputo, the last time in 2013. Always I have appreciated that Hotel as a nice, calm and relatively cheap and secure place to stay.
Unfortunately, that has changed totally. The Claim Monte Carlo is publishing 5star comfort at 3star price is long gone.
They put me in an “Executive Room” Room number 007. It could not be described better than a rabbit hole, no windows except in the bathroom, and there with plain class, no curtain, directly to the walkway.
The whole room was dirty, run down and unacceptable. The linen where stained with oil or something else unidentifiable, the power connectors dangling from the wall. In the bathroom only one towel, too small for a shower towel too large for a handtowels, but only one and this already well beyond being new.
The real disgust came when I complaint at the front desk. The clerk in charge just told me there is nothing he could do, the new management ……
The breakfast buffet was also bitter disappointment, overcooked eggs, some strange slices of bad tasting chees, the fruits unripe and glasses for juice so small that just s spoon full could be served.
In earlier reviews, I appreciated that Hotel some years ago, but that times are gone. I checked out after one night, not staying for the week as I had planned. Charging 4.500 MZN is a rip off. There are much better places in Maputo at nearly the half of this outrages price. Check my review of Residencial Commtessa de Connaught.
Sorry guys at Monte Carlo, never again and whoever ask me will be warned not to stay there.

Room Tip: None, stay away form this place
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Merckens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Melegnano, Italy
Reviewed 18 July 2014

One of the worse 3 star hotel where I have been. Sad environment, carpets and curtains dirty, unpleasant smell wide spread everywhere, sink in the bath was also leaking.After 10 p.m a water bottle is not available, the restaurant is closed!! Only suggestion...keep far from Montecarlo hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 142maurizio

Travellers are raving about these Maputo hotels

Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 7 May 2014

only ground floor available,been here twice in three months and still renovation work is going on.
its difficult if u dont know portuguese as nobody speaks english except manager manuel who is in contrast, understanding n helpful compared to other staff.
expensive but located in centre of city.maybe will improve when renovation work is completed.

Room Tip: stay if you have no choice,lot of other hotels available which offers more bang for the buck.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The only thing which looks okay is the lobby. Going to my room, you notice the carpets which have to replaced urgently! The room I had was smelling like wet cardboard. The sheets on the bed had a colour that looked more like grey. The sink was leaking and they didn't manage to repair however I reported it more than once. The shower had a few moldy spots. Breakfast was poor quality. So, i should say: stay away from this place!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Italofreak
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights during my last business trip. The are busy renovating the Hotel currently. It might be a better plan too wait until they are finished before booking there.
I found the room quite a bit neglected. The service was also not up to standard, specifically the waiters at the restaurant. I got the feeling that they do not put the clients comfort first and foremost. Lacklustre service as if they are doing you a very big favour. One evening the one waiter on duty read the paper while he was suppose to assist the patrons.
If I can choose, I will not stay here again. Definitely not a Hotel for tourists. The fee was also quite high for the room and the services that they provide.

Room Tip: Rather wait for them to finish their renovations.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank HermanK449
Nairobi
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed only one night between my travels and could not even try the dinner nor the breakfast. So, my impressions are only for the few hours I was awake. I appreciated the good service, both in the check in and out, the helpful staff and the information they insisted in giving me, even calling my room to make sure I had all the information. My room was in the top floor with a nice view to the bay (pity that the windows were not very clean). Although you can say a few things are old, the room was quite good, with TV and other amenities. The price is to the side of expensive. Would stay again.

Room Tip: I suppose the rooms have different sizes but I enjoyed mine on the third floor, with a wide view of...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed 5 nights here last week. I found the hotel was pretty good. Rooms were comfortable and clean - hot water always available, and the restaurant was good. Wi-Fi in the room was fine - although a little slow. A few downsides were that the restaurant is a bit small so it gets very full and very busy during breakfast. Also breakfast only starts at 7 a.m. so it's not much good if you have to make an early start. I don't like the TV being on continuously during breakfast but that's my personal preference. Whilst the reception was friendly and helpful I found it a bit annoying that the desk clerk always seemed to be on the phone - so if you wanted anything it always felt as though you were interrupting his calls! The major downside of course is the price - but I believe that all hotels in Maputo are expensive. I would say this was a good business hotel overall.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business