“Feel very comfortable, either for business or leisure”

Polana Serena Hotel
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Maputo
Porto, Portugal
“Feel very comfortable, either for business or leisure”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed in the Polana Hotel in late October, early November, with my wife and 2 young kids.
The hotel has all one needs to feel very comfortable, either for business or leisure (which was the case), and nearby the richest part of Maputo (Embassies, Restaurants, Bars, Shopping), the Capulana Market – which is highly recommended for handicraft and local food, and the Polana Church (very interesting to visit too).

The hotel comprises 2 buildings: the main building which named Polana as the best hotel in Africa from the years 20’s till the 70’s and the Polana Mar, which is in under the terrace of the pool, facing the Ocean, with the same service, but not directly connected to the main building.

We were given a fabulous suite and an in-front room for the kids in the main building, breathing old colonial times mixed with an oriental renovation that was conducted in 2010. The rooms are very good and were modernized then, with very comfortable beds and bathrooms, and nice views over the pools and gardens.

The veranda terrace that links the restaurant and the bar gives the hotel a colonial feeling, with the fans working in the ceiling and lovely whicker withe chairs and wood furniture: the breakfast and meals may be taken there. The sole thing I did not appreciate much was the A la Carte list for dinner in the Restaurant, because they prefer to serve buffet . There is also another restaurant in the garden by the pool, which serves a good sushi and an excellent buffet for children on Sundays.

There are also 3 boutique shops inside the hotel with nice local handicraft, and a Spa that we did not use, because we preferred to stay by the large swimming pool taking good sun-bathing.

The employees are very attentive and the General Manager is always around.

My kids felt like princesses in this hotel, and we felt like being the Vice-Kings of Mozambique.

Room Tip: Prefer to stay in the main building, preferably in the first floor, to have a wonderful terrace, and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jnamem
MiguelAfonsoSantos, General Manager at Polana Serena Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Polana Serena Hotel and taking the time to write about our service and experience. We take every comment about our Hotel very seriously and whether positive or negative we always aim to improve.

We are very happy to know you had a very good experience at Polana Serena Hotel. I will share your comment with all the Team, I am sure they will be happy to read your words.

Regarding your comment about Varanda Restaurant, we have Buffet offer but we also offer A La Carte, we also have Aquarius with Sushi and light meals and Delagoa Restaurant that is our fine dinning A La Carte.

Thank you once again for choosing Polana Serena Hotel and for writing such interesting and detailed comment about your experience at the Hotel .

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Visually this hotel is fantastic. The rooms were fine except we had AC problems that they were never able to fix. We stayed here for two nights to check out Maputo after visiting Vilanculos. We had a Deluxe sea facing room with a small balcony which helped given the AC issue.

Maputo is in a word - a "dump". Filthy, dangerous and the leadsers of this country should be ashamed. The hotel was truly an oasis and the only good thing about our visist to Maputo. We should have spent more time in Vilanculos which was great. The hotel was everything I expected from an old colonial hotel operated by the Serena group. I will say that the cocktails and food was priced at New York City rates and not particularly notable but staying here was neverthelessa good experience. The pool is beautiful but COLD.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing the Polana Serena Hotel and taking the time to write about our service and experience. We take every comment about our Hotel very seriously and whether positive or negative we always aim to improve.

We are very happy to know you had good experience at Polana Serena Hotel, however we regret that your experience was affected by a AC problem.

If you ever come again to Maputo, I would like to meet you personally.

Thank you once again for providing us with very valuable feedback on your visit to the Polana Serena Hotel.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Super room with views over the ocean. Very neat, and clean and and perfect for romance or business. Lovely gym, spa and pool area. The Spa pool is heated and enclosed from the wind and sauna, jacuzzi use is free for hotel guests. Breakfasts and lunches are good. Wine is very expensive (3-4 times that of South Africa) and the cocktails are not that great.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean for less noise. Also try stay away from the ballroom as they often ha...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We took notice about your comments on wine and cocktail quality, we will discuss among the Team to see how we can improve.

I would like to meet you personally, so please would you contact me directly on your next visit to Maputo.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Polana Serena hotel in Maputo is definitely THE place to stay in Maputo. This charming and luxurious hotel has all I look for, both if I travel for business or pleasure purposes: the rooms, the service, the facilities - Gym & Spa, restaurants for all types of taste, hairdressing, adding the traditional decorations and the sympathy of all staff… all this makes me think only in POLANA when I’m in Maputo. I always feel at home there!

Room Tip: You can chose the central building rooms or the Polana Mar building rooms. Both with great sea view...
1 Thank Goncalo A
Dear Guest,

It is very good to read your comment.

I am sure all the team will be proud and happy to read your comment too.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Gym- no gowns in early morning, light in sauna not working, no towels in gym first thing in morning, no water in sauna
Food generally very poor standard and staff following rules but ignoring guest experience
Food in restaurant way over priced and if a poor standard
Food in bar had to be sent back three times one evening. Menu misleading and borders on deliberate mis information/deception
Wi-Fi did not work most of Sunday
Electricity failed a good 50 times on Sat evening
You are clearly on a cost cutting drive - that is visually obvious - but this has negatively effected the guest experience
You are busy despite yourselves and I heard on numerous times from other guests during my 5 day stay that the Radisson Blue down the road offers better value.
It will be interessting to see if I get a reponse from your company
Air conditioning does not work effectively

Room Tip: Main hotel block are best rooms. Do not use rooms detached from main building
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MiguelAfonsoSantos, General Manager at Polana Serena Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We regret that the experience and service at Polana Serena Hotel did not meet your expectations. It is in fact very disappointing for all the Team to see so many, negative comments about our service.

We have obviously, with your comment many aspects to improve however I would like to assure you that we are not on a cut cost drive attitude and we have strive to provide a unique guest experience always. We want to improve service, guest experience and try to do all the best we can to please .

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A beautiful shell of a hotel. Expensive for poor service and poor maintenance. Bills itself as a star hotel that delivers 1 star service. For example front desk promises to resolve all problems quickly. Issues never resolved. For example, air conditioning in room was very weak. Despite multiple promises to resolve the problem the issue was never addressed. Even in the winter Maputo can be bloody hot and sticky. Prestige club status does not matter at the Polana.

If you are the only game in town, service must not matter.

Room Tip: Try the Southern Sun, they try harder.
Dear Guest,

We regret that the experience and service did not meet your expectations. It is in fact very disappointing for all the Team.

We have a team ready to please and follow up on comments or problems that guests face during the stay, and the system did not work this time. We will discuss your comment internally and we will for sure improve what you have mentioned .

Thank you very much once again.

South Africa
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Finding a hotel of this standard in a 3rd World Country and City such as Maputo has to get its credit. I have one night at this hotel for a function and was very surprised with the standard and look inside the hotel. The staff are amazing, most speak english. I think I came across one lady in the banqueting room who could not speak english but quicky pointed me to someone else who coudl assist me. Their banqueting room is also one of the most Stunning I have ever seen anywhere else in the world. The room is big and spacious, and the bathrooms very old elegance. And it met every expectation I had as a woman on business, lots of light and mirrors!
Look it IS a very expensive hotel, US$220 per single room and then Lunch and Buffet is on service everyday for about US$60 per person. But make no mistake its a wide selection of great food.
Overall a great stay and would definately return again.

Room Tip: Studio sea facing
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to know you had a very good experience at Polana Serena Hotel, look ad feel of Hotel, standards, service, staff.

Regarding the English level, we invest in training very much and I am glad to see some improvements in our team members.