“Good but rooms vary”

Roof of Africa Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The standard room was dreadful. The shower head came off Onto my head the first time I used it. The delux or luxury rooms were better but would be called standard elsewhere. The food was very good on the buffet lunch but was the same everyday. I would not recommend this hotel for more than a couple of nights in a luxury room. There was no Internet acces in the room.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 April 2013

...mostly in it's affordability, but it's not bad. I would stay here again, but I would not stay in the cheapest rooms. My TV remote didn't work, the fridge wasn't plugged into a working outlet, and the room organization was inefficient. There was a (comfortable) double-bed up against shelving that basically was therefore unusable. Oh, and if you do request an airport transfer, make sure you confirm that. The tours rep was certain I didn't request one until presented with the email showing that I absolutely did. I kinda think I should hate this place, but I for whatever reason I don't.

The non-cheap rooms were in better shape than mine. The service ranged from barely acceptable to quite good depending on who and where - some waitresses really didn't want to let go of their conversations, but some were quite attentive. The front desk was usually pretty good. The restaurant didn't seem to see much business while I was staying, but I must say I was generally quite pleased both with the buffet and the a-la-carte menu offerings. The prices were excellent. The bar was much livelier. I preferred it to Joe's, which is a five minute walk away (no sidewalks, however, if that's your thing). There's a small shopping center with a Woermann-Brocks on the way to Joe's and the hotel parking is guarded. If you are in decent shape and don't want to spring for a vehicle, you could walk over the mountain via Schanzenweg (again, no sidewalks) to go downtown from here (not if you are on business and dressed for it, though). All-in-all ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Been here several times now and it's getting worse. This year the pool is so dirty that you can't see the bottom. Garden is half dead and not well keept. Looked through 6 rooms before I found one with acceptable standard for the money. One good thing is a priceworthy bar and fair winelist.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anders F
WindhoekTerri, Manager at Roof of Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

First of all, I would like to clarify that Anders is a tour guide for a tour company. He was booked in by a third party. In this booking, a total of 7 rooms were booked. This is a once off booking.
My response to his review:
When u arrived at the hotel early in the morning, at 9am, demanding from our reception lady to show you all the rooms that was allocated for this booking. Our reception lady told you that the rooms were not ready, but you insisted to inspect the rooms??? - inspect a room that the previous guestshas just checekd out and still waiting to be cleaned???? You chose a room and checked in early, a room which was done and ready for check in - leaving behind the so called "unacceptable standard for money" rooms for the rest of your safari clients? When you checked in, there were no comments from yourself. Strangely, when the guests from the other 6 rooms checked out in the morning, our reception ladies asked the usual question if they enjoy their stay - they replied yes and thanking the ladies for being very friendly.
One note I wish to add: all the Standard rooms were recently renovated - perhaps new IKEA furniture and new 3D TV does not appeal to Mr Anders at all. If this is the case, I have no further comment.
The comment about the swimming pool. Yes very true. It was turning green. Our technical maintenance team were out of town for 2 weeks, which I am sure many who have lived in Namibia realised the problems associated with maintenance work - it was unfortunate that he should arrived when the swimming pool turned green once in the last 5 years. What else is getting worse? I would like to hear more from you Mr Anders. Your comments I am very sure will help us improve our services in the future.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

After spending some time with Torsten and Terri, owners of Roof of Africa, and the "hands on" genius tecnnical manager, Alex, I learned quite a bit about the history of the establishment.
What started out as a backpacker lodge, has now, over the years, been transformed into this magnificent hotel. All the woodowork inthe hotel was put together with the skilfull hands of travelling carpenters. - Ask Torsten for the story of how it was all put together and you will be super impressed!
The service was warm and attentive. I had a connection problem with the wireless internet provided by the hotel, so Alex and Torsten ran a cable to my room and even fitted one in the bar area for me so that I could do my work in the evenings. There is a good conference fascility which adds to a great business environment.

I'm not generally a fan of buffet style food, but the Roof Restaurant offers a fantastic buffet, offering everything from venison, cooked to your liking, as well as a wide range of non-conventional foods that you wouldnt often see on a buffet. All the dishes are freshly prepared, with the best available ingredients and full of delicious flavour. All for R120 - great value for money! There is a great Al la carte menu as well!
The bar is FULLY stocked with a great selection of wine, fresh Hansa Lager on tap and a great range of whiskeys!!! All food and drinks are very reasonably priced and NOT your normal "hotel prices", but more to the pricing of he other local restaurants and pubs.

Having the restaurant and bar so well stocked meant I could enjoy myself at the hotel, meet some of the locals (the bar and restaurant are open to the public) and when I was done, I could retire to my very comfortable, air conditioned bedroom. If I wanted to venture out, Joe's beerhouse is less than half a kilometre on the same road.

The swimming pool is a welcomed treat in the hot Windhoek summer afternoons.

I really have to compliment ALL the staff for their warm hospitality. I travel a lot and professional, friendly service is so important.
As a frequent visitor to Windhoek, I have decided to make Roof of AFrica my base and I will only stay there if there is ocupancy before I stay anywhere else in the future. I have asked all my colleagues to stay there as well and I would higly recommend this hotel to anyone.
My sincere thanks and congratulations to the owners for their on going comitment to improve and enhance the experience that comes with staying at Roof of Africa Hotel!

- Matthew Wray

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe rooms! Worth the extra Namibian Dollars!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthew W
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The hotel was reasonably priced. There is a guard at the gate so your car would certainly be safe. We didn't have a car but walked or took taxis. Joe's Beerhouse is on the same street and about a 7-minute walk. It is a main thoroughfare, so we felt safe walking even at night. The buffet dinner at the hotel was quite nice and a good value. The included breakfast was fine also. We had a second floor room with a balcony which I enjoyed in the evening. The wifi signal was good and the reception let me borrow an electrical adapter.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skinofaman
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

We were put in a very new room during a revamp. It was very nice but being next to staff quarters it was very noisy especially in the morning when staff were getting up and preparing for the day ahead. They seem to have no respect for clients. Service was generally shoddy and sometimes very slow. The car was secure and security personnel are on hand to keep an eye. Breakfast is really not worth the effort of getting out of bed nor is it worth the money. If you stay here, I suggest you decline the breakfast option and pick up something to eat on your travels. Would I stay here again? Probably not. I'd try out some other places for a comparison.

• Stayed: May 2012
WindhoekTerri, Manager at Roof of Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thank you for your comment. We have recently revamped the Breakfast set up and have all the hot meals cooked on order – rather than pre-cooked and leave at the buffet counter. We have thus far received good comments on the cooked to order, for egg dishes especially.
In addition to that, we would like our guests to want to look forward to our breakfast. A small upgrade we thought many would appreciate: we bought a new Coffee Machine recently during the Hostex Show in Jo’burg. From now on you can look forward to a nice cuppa Cappuccino or Latte, or Espresso from the finest Coffee machine imported from Italy. All coffees ordered during Breakfast is complimentary from the house.
As to the mannerism of our staff, to say they have no respect for clients, this I shall like to repudiate on their behalf. Most of our staff (mainly young ladies and men) comes from the villages up from the North. They have the habit of talking so loud to each other, even within inches of each other, that I sometimes mistook them as having a quarrel!! We have had numerous training on conversation mannerism. We have achieved quite a lot over the years. At some other times, when they get quite excited, they tend to raise their voice a little too much. They have been told about your comment and they have agreed to learn to do their best to keep conversation low around the staff area.
We hope you will see the changes next time you visit us. If not, we would appreciate that you inform us as soon as you find some unacceptable arrangement or circumstances that might not please you.
Kind Regards from Terri.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

The rooms at the Roof of Africa vary, and although clean, are oddly designed and the pine furniture gives an overall low budget feel. The first room I was offered was straight off the parking lot and unappealing to say the least. Fortunately moved to the interior area. Parts of the central garden are neat and charming, whereas other areas are untidy and there is a fair amount of detritus around. The entrance way to the central lobby and restaurant area, for example, includes tatty bookstands of old brochures and unsightly garbage from the kitchen on view. The breakfast area is dark and dingy with heavy furniture and an oddly located fish tank and the breakfast buffet could be better presented. Breakfast does not start on time, and it takes a while for the full range of options to appear. Freshly baked rolls are a nice touch though. The place has a 'tired' feel to it, but there is some renovation on the go, which will likely benefit in the long run.

Room Tip: Ask to see what they have on offer.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Yes, you cannot be more right about the pine furniture which was built during the backpackers time – (we had a long transition 16 years of upgrading from a backpackers lodge to a hotel). We have survived thus far, even I myself do wonder sometimes? I can only put it down to the immensely friendly and accommodating personnel we have, that we have had so many of our past guests returning to us after their safaris, and often feel so at home???
I have pleasure in informing you that, we had a huge revamped of all the old furniture in the rooms. They have been replaced with Ikea furniture – in white clean modern line. We even changed the Mattresses to a high quality Sleep Comfort in all our rooms. Bed linens are now changed to percale cotton. In addition to that, we even upgrade our breakfast to include free Espresso, Latte, or Cappuccino to kick-start the morning. We hope to improve the lighting at the bar and restaurant, hopefully very soon. So I hope the next time when you do visit us again, please do let our ladies have your comment – we should like to hear from you and thanking you for taking time to write a review about us.
Kind regards from Terri.