“nothing to complain and nothing to expect”

Roof of Africa Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed there on the first and last day in Namibia, making it as a transfer station. maybe we have been used to the friendly atmosphere of the many B&Bs we stayed, the service in a hotel made us feel there's no service. Of course the staffs were still friendly and happy to answer every question we had.
The bar is well designed. It even has an aquarium hiding under the stairs. A piano near the gate and many decorations on the wall.
The rooms are small, making the twin beds into a big one. Luckily the girls share the room with me is a very good friend, or it would be a little bit embarrassed. It's inconvenient if you are traveling with just colleagues but need to share the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fireocean

Reviewed 30 August 2013

A nice ambiance in winter around the bar with the dining area upstairs and at the opposite end of the bar. Warm friendly but slow service with good accommodation and a great outdoor beer garden in the summer

Room Tip: As to see the rooms first as they are all different. My preference would be away from the car park
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grant K
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I stayed at Roof of Africa for one month while visiting Windhoek. The price of my hotel room, which included breakfast and the dinner buffet, was affordable. I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is not centrally located, but it was easy to get to the city center and back (either via walking or by taxi). The food was always good. Most importantly, however, the staff was very friendly, accommodating, and always a pleasure to talk to. They were always very responsive and helpful whenever I came to them with a question or concern.

The only reason I do not give this hotel 5 stars is because there was a very limited selection of television channels and the internet wifi did not always work in my room. However, as far as I am concerned, these are minor issues (especially considering the wifi is free). I recommend this place to anyone visiting Windhoek, and will certainly book here again the next time I am in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, the rooms were very nice and clean, the roof top reception building is very special and we enjoyed the close proximity to Joe's Beerhouse which is certainly worth a visit.
However, the breakfast was very average. No coffe and tea included (as stated by a management reply here?), the fruit and yoghurt were finished and not filled up during our 30 minutes stay at the breakfast area, and a wider choice of different bread types and cereals (or nuts, dried fruits etc.) would make the whole meal a bit more appealing.
Overall it was a nice stay though.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Dreadful experience here last week. First of all, the hotel tried to refuse to accept our prepaid voucher. Then they put us not in the hotel at all, but in a flat ten minutes walk away. And the driver never turned up to take us back to the main hotel in the morning so we had to carry our bags all the way.

There was no hot water in the shower.

Breakfast coffee was undrinkable, and unusually for Africa, you are expected to pay for it rather than it being part of the breakfast buffet.

Advice provided by staff was wrong - "the museum will be closed today" - it wasn't.

All in all a most unsatisfactory experience. It's not even particularly cheap.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Colin J
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Roof of Africa is a mixed bag. In all fairness to the hotel, I must break this review into two parts: (1) the accommodations and (2) dining.
With regard to the accommodations, the rooms are clean and the staff associated with the rooms are nice. One huge perk is free wifi, which is not the norm in southern Africa.There are obvious shortfalls in the furnishings, but it appears the hotel is in the process of updating, so an A for effort is due in this area.
With regard to the dining, it is the worst service I have ever encountered. I am not talking about the food because I did not have a chance to eat. We sat for two meals and we were ignored for 15-20 minutes the first time. There were few people in the restaurant, so the lack of service was not attributable to being overly busy. I approached one of the wait staff about ordering and was told she would be with us "in a minute." The minute(s) passed and, after waiting for approximately 30 minutes, she took our order. The food never showed. We gave up and left the restaurant. The following morning we tried breakfast. It was definitely busier, but not full, and it was a partial buffet. It was approximately 8 am and there was cereal but no milk, fruit bowls without fruit, coffee and tea carafes without coffee and tea. We inquired about these things and they did provide hot water for tea. We sat in hopes of ordering the hot breakfast, but alas, no one came. We drank the tea and left.
I am happy to know, based on the other reviews, that this is not commonplace. But, it happened to me and my family. If I were solely rating the accommodation, I would give it a very good. If I were solely rating the restaurant, it would do good to garner a terrible.

Room Tip: If wifi in the room is a must, get a room close to reception. There are internet cables for hardwiri...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Compared to 6 hotels lodges, I stayed at on this trip it has to rate last! The rooms seem more suited to the hot summers. The room (33) i stayed in was small with a cold concrete floor. I chose it, as it was closest to the car park. The staff are friendly; if a bit innificient. The breakfast tables and counter stayed messey for ages. All the rooms i was shown, seemed too dark and depressing. The place still has a backpacker feel, with upmarket prices, though. The secure parking is a big bonus

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo