“An oasis in the heart of Windhoek” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Balalaika
Ranked #70 of 126 Restaurants in Windhoek
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Frankfurt, Germany
“An oasis in the heart of Windhoek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

Had coffee and cake (tasty), prices were the same as everywhere in Windhoek, sitting on the terrace was very pleasant as there were lots of plants and trees which gave the whole place a very exclusive and laid back atmosphere. Service was extremely friendly, they COULD work on the details though (table cloths were a bit scruffy). There is free WiFi available on request (couldn't find ANYWHERE else in Windhoek), I called in earlier to ask about the possibility of printing as well and was welcomed by the landlord who was very kind and helpful and let me print out my flight ticket as it was an emergency :).

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank giadalina

Geneva, Switzerland
“Worst part of our holiday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

Just back from a fantastic trip to Namibia. Spent the last day in Windhoek before our flight and went to Cafe Zoo for lunch. After waiting 30 minutes for our food we saw the chef walking past outside carrying the fish I had ordered and on enquiry was told that it would take a further 30 minutes. When I complained about this the Russian owner threatened me and told me he would 'Break my f**king legs' if he ever saw me there again. Other clients were complaining about delays at the same time. Looking back the incident was pure comedy but did mean leaving this great country on a low.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Dinner at Cafe Zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

We stopped in for an afternoon drink and with the service we received decided to go for dinner. It was the middle of a thunderstorm so it was very quiet however we found the food and service excellent. Our waitress, Angelique, made our night with her friendly approach and knowledge of the menu. Of the 4 restaurants we ate in whilst in Windhoek this was by far the best.

• Visited January 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place for lunch - they try hard to place, and now serve sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

They are currently advertising themselves as "Balalaika at the Zoo," and have added sushi platters to their menu. I have been going there for lunch in recent weeks, and have found the service to be consistently good. The waiters and waitresses have clearly been trained to try for a European level of service. They have good salads, good fish, and while prehaps not world-class, the sushi has generally been quite fresh and satisfying.

London, United Kingdom
“A nice evening meal in quiet surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2008

I read about the Zoo Cafe in the Windhoek Dining Guide available around the City (I got mine from the Kalahari Sun Hotel). You can hardly see it from the main road (Independance Avenue) but they do have a sign over the road.

I sat outside on the terrace in the shade of Windhoek's largest rubber tree (so they say). The outside area is very pleasent to sit in (i went on a sunny evening) and a welcome change from the drab city centre. The cafe is located in the Zoo Park and is secluded from the road.

Contrary to the previous review I found the service to be friendly and efficient - some of the best I have had in Windhoek. The food was also very good. I had the Roasted Butternut Salad (N$ 49) to start which was well presented and tasty (although maybe a bit too much dressing) and was a good sized portion. For main I had the KingKlip skewers (N$89) served with a delicious sweet curry sauce and couscous (see picture). Again, the presentation and portion size were good.

They have a limited "by the glass" wine list - although a fair selection. They have quite a good wine by the bottle list.

My meal (2 courses) with a glass of white wine (N$24) and coffee (N$10) came to N$172 and I enjoyed the service, atmosphere and the food a lot more that the Kalahari Sun Hotel Restaurant!

They also do a large range of pizza's and pastas which looked good (although I did not taste them).

Example price of Windhoek Lager is N$12.

1 Thank StanInLondon