“Good value for money spent!”

Cardboard Box Hostel
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value for money spent!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Considering how it's only US$11 for a dorm bed, with free wifi and breakfast, I was pretty happy with this backpackers. Generally I found the staff very friendly and obliging. The showers and dorm bed were a bit dingy though, but not unbearable. Overall very recommendable.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice. First time in a double. It was a bit dark, and the mosquito nests were in Bad shape, but it was quiet. Not very good value. Second time was in the dorms. These were better value, but the hot water
ran out quickly. The staff was very friendly and flexible (we checked in early and out even earlier, so they gave us our breakfast when we checked in).
Laundry was inexpensive, Wifi was good, and bar was lively. Location is a bit of a drag...
Overall, we were happy.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank gil_fruchter
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I enjoyed my one-night stay at Cardboard Box, but that was mostly because I spent my time at the bar enjoying an Urbock and checking my email on my iPad. I did meet some great people later that night during my stay, and the bar turned into a party (on a Wednesday) before 11 p.m. This happened to be what I was going for that particular evening, so it was great, but might be too loud for some folks who want a quiet evening.

Service was OK and it is very close walking distance to a huge mall. Did not like that there were not any outlets to charge my phone in the dorm I was in. Also the shower was pretty dingy.

Room Tip: If you're staying in a dorm I would ask for the one with the bathroom inside. All of the other r...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I'll keep it brief, as my stay here was also rather short. I just didn't like it, the 'vibe', I found the staff unusually unhelpful and the whole place just underwhelmed me. Give it a miss - Chameleon seems much friendlier, or there is also the much nicer Paradise Garden around the corner.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank wonderstevie
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 7 April 2013

After our one month trip around Namibia we stayed at this place in September. This hostel is the one of oldest backpackers in Windhoek and if you step in you´ll recognize it too. Reconstruction needed! Positives are - helpful staff, parking, near town center, pool (i didn´t try) but you should know about negatives. The first one are "tired" rooms with old beds and furniture and what was the most terrifying due to lack of and kind of acoustic isolation in rooms - noisy nights. We had rooms near (shared) kitchen and bathroom and thanks to it we can´t sleep - only between around 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. were quite - but sorry 2 hours for deep sleep is not much. That kitchen was stinky and due to unhygienic conditions there it was not good idea prepared any kind of food. Bathrooms are shared with other guest Even though those positives I can´t recommend Cardboard Box Hostel for people who don´t want to share noisy, unclean conditions.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank venajue
Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

In the lead up to our arrival in Windhoek, my boyfriend and I spoke to several travellers who had been to the Cardboard Box and/or the other main backpacker hostel, Chameleon. The general consensus was that Chameleon is much better, so originally we decided to stay there, however when we came to book, it was full. So, fearing the worst, we booked in for 2 nights at the Cardboard Box.
We needn't have worried. I can't compare the Cardboard Box to Chameleon as I haven't visited the latter, but Cardboard Box is everything a good backpacker's hostel should be. We stayed one night in a dorm (the 'Raffles' room downstairs), which was clean and comfortable, if a little small, and two nights in the 'Ritz' double room upstairs, which had a nice double bed, plenty of storage space and a fan. Sure, it's a little rough around the edges, but if you want a luxury bed for the night, go stay at the Kalahari Sands.
They could do with installing a few more showers and toilets (and the problem that one person described in a review below about getting mild electric shocks from the downstairs shower has not been fixed), but the facilities were clean, tidy and well maintained. I didn't really use the self-catering kitchen, but it looked pretty decent and well equipped - people REALLY need to learn to do their own dishes though!! (Not the hostel's fault!).
In terms of staff, the guy on the bar with the glasses is really nice, even if he did take the mickey out of me all the time, haha :-P The female staff at the hostel reception came across as a little bit surly, but I think this might just be a Namibian 'thing' as we encountered this elsewhere. Although they weren't all beaming smiles and laughing and joking, they were still very helpful in terms of booking tours and arranging transport. We highly recommend the township tour led by a guy called Foster - it was so interesting and we had the chance to eat some braai in the Soweto market which was very cool.
The pool and bar area is a great place to hang out, even if the water is freezing! The food options available at the bar are very limited (we basically had a choice of meat lasagne or vegetable lasagne) but then again there are loads of inexpensive and very good eating options in Windhoek, so eating at the hostel isn't strictly necessary. We did order a self-cook braai pack from the bar one night, which included generous portions of boerewors, kebabs and steaks - very good value for money, and the barman was helpful in getting the fire going for us. The free cinnamon pancakes, tea and coffee for breakfast was awesome!
Someone below moaned about the fact that local people are allowed into the bar. Oh, come on! As another reviewer pointed out, what is the point of travelling if you only mix with other travellers? The hostel is secured by a keycoded gate, so only trusted visitors are allowed in; its not like there are weirdos, beggars and thieves walking around all over the place. We met some really nice locals who gave us some excellent tips on where to go and what to do, in fact they were far more talkative and friendly than many of the guests, which brings me onto my next point...
Free WiFi at the Cardboard Box is a double edged sword. On the one hand it's awesome to be able to check up on your emails, Skype-call home, and research places to do and see in Namibia, but we found it had the effect of making everyone really unsociable! We did spend our fair share of time on our Nexus tablet, but it seemed like everyone was sitting around, tapping away on their keyboards or smartphones, for hours at a time, actively not talking to anyone else. Maybe it was just the particular crowd staying at the time, I don't know!
Overall I would definitely recommend the Cardboard Box, just get off the internet while you are there!!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms and bathrooms feel a bit cosier. The downstairs shower also gives you a bit of an ele...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missylisa
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I was here for two non-consecutive nights last April on my way to and from Swakopmund. The hostel is comfortable and has a welcoming and fun pool/bar area with a good selection of drinks and food. It's a short walk from the downtown area so I did quite a bit of urban exploring the first day. It's still a ways from the airport but the cab drivers know where it is (at least mine did). I met up with other travelers and students staying there and we decided to go out on the town. The bars and clubs we visited were not within walking distance so we did have to call a cab. Beware of cab drivers who charge over what they quote before the trip! Do not give them any extra than what you originally agreed upon! The second night was mostly uneventful as I was preparing to return to Cape Town. I highly recommend this as the place to stay in Windhoek!

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo