“Nice Place to have dinner”
Review of Kubata Restaurant

Kubata Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 134 Restaurants in Windhoek
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: I think this is in a hotel, but don't have the name of the hotel.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We ate at Kubata on our last night in Namibia after five weeks in the bush. It was quite a bit of culture shock, therefore, to be able to actually choose from a menu and to be able to eat something other than meat. I had prawns and my wife had fish. The food, and the bottle of wine we ordered, were all good. We felt the cost was very reasonable.

There is a parking lot conveniently located across the street from the restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Kubata Restaurant

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We haven't been back to Kubata for a while and were very impressed again. I ordered the Prawns platter 1 which is far too large for one person and shared with everyone at the table plus ended up taking the remaining prawns home. They were delicious! Our guests also enjoyed their meals. The restaurant was busy but not noisy and the staff were attentive and good. I can highly recommend this restaurant for seafood.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

It started off good, (although I noted some food on my chair spilled by a previous guest and not cleaned) waiter being friendly and taking orders quickly and drinks came within reasonable time: then everything "collapsed".

I ordered my meat dish "specifically" medium: I told the waiter even to make a note of it and my daughter a seafood platter. My meat was nearly bone dry, only one piece was medium/well done, and my daughter's seafood platter drenched in oil, tasting well below the price paid for it. A franchise restaurant seafood platter tasted much better not long ago for less than half the price.

When the water later came to ask if everything was okay, I actually had to ask him to clean up and bring the dessert menu. He brought it and then he was gone for the rest of the day! We waited & waited for the rest of the table to be cleaned by another waiter showing up from nowhere?

He then said that the cakes the previous waiter indicated were in stock, wasn't in stock or available.

We then decided to pay & leave, meeting another family at the counter telling the manageress about bad service received.

Kubata need to urgently up their standards (food and service) otherwise they will lose their total client base. My previous encounter with them was a bit better but also below standards.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having worked for a couple of weeks in Mozambique, I grew fond of the Portuguese cuisine served there, especially the fish dishes. So, with Namibia having Angola as a Portuguese-speaking neighbour, I decided to try the Kubata for its Portuguese style food. There is no parking on the premises, but one large parking area is just across the street, and another is about 50m further on. I found the atmosphere of the restaurant stylish and pleasant. You get a choice of sitting either upstairs or downstairs, and I chose the latter. At 6:30 pm, the restaurant was already well attended. Indeed, it seems to be a popular venue for visitors from Angola. Together with a Caldo Verde, I ordered a special quote of grilled silver fish (that's what the waitress called it). The soup arrived quite quickly and tasted just like it should - full marks there. Considering that the fish was a special quote, it arrived surprisingly soon after. It did look good and tasted reasonably well, but not quite what I had expected at the price. The preparation seems to have been a combination of deep frying and grilling to blacken the skin, and the taste of the oil usurped the subtle natural taste of the fish. Unfortunately, this type of "grilling" is a common sin in restaurants, but not what I'd expect of an upper class one.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

What a great variety of dishes!! And each and everyone of them is excellent.
The service is great - supervised and attended personally by the owner and head chef.
The atmosphere is classy and stylish.
This restaurant is most definitely worth the while!!