“Fine”

Arebbusch Travel Lodge
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had a very short stay and found it very pleasant after a long flight in. The room was large enough and airy. The power was reliable. We ate in the restaurant and the food was fine as was the breakfast the next morning. We only had small dealings with the reception staff and they weren't the most efficient but it only caused us minor irritation. Showers were nice and hot so the place cant be bad. It's a nice quiet setting as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 August 2013

This review starts with a summary for those not interested in the details of my ordeal.

I was originally booked in at Arebbusch Travel Lodge from 26 August 2013 to 29 August 2013. On 28 August 2013 I checked out as the conditions had become intollerable. Arebbusch is exactly what the name suggests a travel lodge and in my opinion suited mainly for those who are in transit to a destination and not expecting a luxurious and quiet Namibian experience. If you are on safari with a bunch of mates in 4x4's and looking for a rowdy alcohol filled fun experience, this is exactly what you're looking for. Arebbusch is definitely not a destination.

It is located very snugly between an extremely busy main road and an airport. It is very noisy. It is located in a less safe part of the city. The lodge itself seems quite safe due to the many security guards on duty (which in itself is testimony to its location)

I did book in on short notice and was informed that I'd be moved between a Square suite to a standard room. On enquiry I was informed that there was Wi-Fi available and being on a business trip it was a must. On arrival i was shown to one of the rooms at The Square. The rooms are well sized and equipped with the necessities one would expect to find at a lodge or three/four starred B&B. The restaurant is close by and the standards are fairly good by Windhoek standards. Finding good restaurants in Windhoek is a challenge and very few come close to most good restaurants in major cities.

Upon checking in I requested whether there had been any cancellations to accommodate me at The Square for the other days of my stay as well. Jessica at reception informed me that there was a room for my third evening, but that she'd put me on a waiting list for the second evening. Upon returning on the second evening a different receptionist informed me that there weren't any rooms and that I wasn't on any waiting list. The admin staff are very friendly, but do not go the extra mile or operate outside the general booking procedures. Make sure you get your booking right at the outset and ONLY book a room at The Square.

On day two I was transferred to a standard room outside The Square. Upon arriving in the room I found it to be small square room, with an enclosed toilet in the one corner of the room a shower in the other corner of the room and a basin tucked in between. The room is equipped with two single beds with not much space for anything else. There are no safes or any secure place to store valuables. The beds were too short and I'm only 1.85 meters tall. The beds were incredibly hard and I kept waking up with aches and pains during my brief stints of sleep. The room wasn't very clean. There wasn't any bottled drinking water, so take your own. The complimentary tea wasn't refilled. There were cleaning material left behind in the loo by housekeeping. The room had a tiny television reminiscent of the eighties. There was absolutely no Wi-Fi. At midnight the phone started ringing in the room. I unplugged the phone. At 2am a vehicle pulled up outside the room with the headlights shining in the glass door. People stood around talking loudly and laughing away. These guests proceeded into their room and continuing to be quite noisy. One of the guests then proceeded to do the New Zealand rugby team's "haka" at full volume to cheers and applause from his friends. If I managed two hours of solid sleep this evening, it was much.

First thing the following morning, I promply checked out and moved to another Bed and Breakfast (one of my other Winhoek reviews).

Room Tip: ONLY use rooms at The Square!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rayno P
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This place was just what we needed after much traveling to get there. The rooms were very spacious and the English breakfast, included in the price of the accommodation, was superb! I'd highly recommend this gem.

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked very welcoming.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
RobertNienaber, Manager at Arebbusch Travel Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear CarefulChoices,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Arebbusch Travel Lodge and thank you so much for your wonderful review. Please feel free to email robert@arebbusch.com at any stage should we be able to assist you with any else. We hope welcome you back at some stage in the near future.

Kind regards,
Robert Nienaber
Marketing Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed there for a few nights during July. Rooms get very cold during the night and you will need the extra blanket. Single beds were not comfortable. Rooms were ok, very clean with the basic amenities. If you do not have a plug adaptor you will find it very difficult to borrow one from the reception. Internet WiFi slow and you get reception only in rooms close to the reception. Restaurant ok. Breakfast good. Pool and restaurant area are very nice with local traditional architecture. If you are a business traveler stay elsewhere, I will.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the reception/restaurant for better WiFi reception.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Yannis A,

Thank you for your review of Arebbusch Travel Lodge. Your compliments are greatly appreciated but in terms of the compliant, I would like to put forward the following:

1. July is indeed the middle of winter in Namibia - and hence our rooms will be cold - but I do believe that all rooms in Windhoek will be cold at that time of the year. As you correctly state though - there are extra blankets in the room - and all of the rooms are fitted with air-conditioners which can cool down the rooms in summer and heat them in winter.

2. With regards to the beds not being comfortable. Please send me an email to robert@arebbusch.com - I would dearly like to investigate this further. All of our rooms are fitted with high quality mattresses that come from a reputable mattress manufacturer - and if there is an issue with their comfort we need to look into it ASAP.

3. With regards to the plug and the Wi-Fi - I can confirm that we have just installed a high speed internet link for our clients. In addition, the wi-fi has been set up to cover the entire lodge. There are also always supposed to be adaptor plugs for our clients at the reception. If at any stage their is either an issue with internet speeds, connectivity or plugs not being at the reception, please report it to management - we will resolve it for you.

We hope that this puts you to ease re the above issues and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Arebbusch in the near future.

Kind regards,
Robert Nienaber
Marketing Manager.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed one night because our safari with Nomad Tours started here. It's a huge place a long way from the center of Windhoek. The rooms were great and had good heating. There's nothing to complain about and the restaurant is good. I suppose it's a convenient and safe place to stay if you have a car.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was on a business trip and stayed over at the Lodge for the outbound and inbound trip in Namibia. Every time we left about 5 am in the morning. We request the previous evening our breakfast and much to our surprise a "picnic hamper" was provided. It is enough food for at least 2 people and well prepared. It is clear the Lodge accommodate travellers and look after their needs. The downside is the unreliable internet service especially the Sunday afternoon and evening. Maybe the broadband needs to be upgraded to satisfied the growing need for good internet connections.

Room Tip: All rooms are around the square while the chalets are spread out. Chalets are more for the holiday t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I´ve stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and I enjoyed very much. Great and friendly staff, big and confortable rooms, amazing restaurant that provides very quality food, a great and scenery swimming pool (very cold water :) ).

The hotel is not suitable for backpackers, the price is around US$90,00 per night. It is a little far from the city centre, but a cab is around US$ 6,00. To the international airport is around 40km.

www.relatosdicasviagens.com.br - Sérgio Vaz