“Best spot in town”

The Wine Bar & Wine Shop
Ranked #21 of 139 Restaurants in Windhoek
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: CONTACT DETAILS: Tel: ++264 (0)61 226 514 Fax: ++264 (0)61 226 515 Address: 3 Garten Street Windhoek CATEGORY:
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great views for sundowner. Good food. Great wine list. This is a really relaxed spot where locals and visitors gather to unwind, meet up and enjoy a good meal. Oh, and did I mention the view?

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Value for money is good. Don't expect finde dining. Snacks with wine really ok. A rather mixed croud - not for a quiet evening for two. Good for a group enjoying wine and snacks for a sundowner. Have fun with good wine. Service is acceptable.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

we were booked at the wine bar on our last evening, it had been said, it belongs to the best restaurants - well the location is beautiful, though highly protected...
it is hard to criticise the service as they had been not well trained and were just unable to cope - sorry .
we had quite good food (vegetarian, fish + a meat option) to high prices, which is not really agreeable, the plates were half fully served.
the wine-list is quite long and keeps some specialties, but the question is: do they stil have the wine, so before you choose, please ask if it is available.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I have been a frequent guest of the beautiful wine bar. Over the years I have enjoyed the magnificent views of Windhoek while sipping one of the many wines and bubblies available on the impressive wine list.

Unfortunately my good memories were eclipsed by my most recent encounter. I arrived with family and we ordered a very good bottle of MCC and a cheese platter. Perhaps past experiences had spoilt me - as in the past, the cheese platter included a huge and generous selection of tasty cheeses, olives, nuts and chutney, chilli sauce and homemade bread - enough to feed a party of four. What I received on my last visit was embarrassing. Priced at N$200 (about 20 Euros), the cheese platter consisted of a few slithers of cheese, 5 provita's and 2 slices of bread. The meagre offerings of cheese were not fresh.

A complaint to the manager on duty did not even warrant an apology or remedial action. In fact, the manager's attitude was one of annoyance.

To be fair, our waitress was fantastic and did her best to save the evening. Nonetheless, we left feeling annoyed and out of pocket. Poor value, extortionate prices....

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We've come to the wine bar for years. Sunset at the wine bar is an experience we have always enjoyed. The service has been friendly, great staff and the view across the urban landscape of Windhoek towards the low mountains in the distance is a treat.

We were as usual greeted with the relaxed charm of the regular staff. We ordered a bottle of Steenberg MC at R 250 which was reasonable for this bottle of bubbly. To accompany this we ordered the "usual" cheese platter as an accompaniment. At a cost of R 195,00, we were somewhat surprised at the dismal offering, a few slithers of cheese, a few provita biscuits and 4 half slices of brown bread with no butter. Although embarrassed, I raised my disappointment with the manageress. She dealt with my issue by walking past our table and glancing at the dried out cheese platter. Apparently satisfied with what she saw, we never heard from her again. She did not return, did not do anything at all.

We paid our bill and left. Hopefully a management upgrade will take place before our next visit!

Incidentally, manageress aside, our waitress was absolutely top class and despite the unfortunate handling of our complaint, we enjoyed our stay.

Dinner bookings were however made else where!

1  Thank Finchette