“Top quality hotel - Service still developing”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed one night and pre-booked direct to get a good rate. Excellent value for money. The rooms were quiet and of excellent quality together with the common areas of the hotel. Great central location. Reception service was a bit hit and miss. Some of the staff are still feeling their way around the running of the hotel.
We ate dinner (a la carte) and breakfast at the hotel. The food was well cooked and of a good standard. The service in the restaurant was disorganised and a lengthy ordeal at dinner. Reading a previous review any dish containing mushrooms seems to be a problem as we ordered a menu dish containing mushrooms and it was delivered minus the mushrooms but also without any explanation or apology. Our dessert choice (from the small number available) was "out of stock" however one of the waitresses did offer an apology and provided us access to the buffet desserts. The mushrooms seem to be reserved for the breakfast buffet as there plenty on offer the following morning.
The massage at the Spa was exceptionally good and well worth the extra effort we had to make to secure the booking. Both therapists were very well trained and it was one of the best massages we have had in a very long time (massage connoisseurs). The Spa was unattended so left the Front Reception to make the booking. They failed to do this so we tried again later in the day and finally managed to make the booking.
The rooms very much have that brand new feeling. The bathrooms could do with a main door however were very spacious and luxurious in the King Deluxe room.
The wireless service in the rooms is "still to come" however is available in the common areas for a fee.
All in all was an enjoyable 5 star experience and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aussie-Gecko
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2012

Dear Aussie Gecko,

Thank you very much for your review and my apologies for your delayed reply. I am glad to inform you that during our quieter January period the Hilton Windhoek team has managed to
a) Put strong efforts on training and development of our team
b) Implemented Wifi in all areas as well as doubled bandwith.
c) Reviewed as of now 4 of our 6 outlets menus with various upgrades

I do hope you will return in the near future to see all the changes made and thanking you once again for your feedback provided.

Yours sincerely.

Roman Kopacek

There are newer reviews for Hilton Windhoek

Reviewed 17 December 2011

What a bad experience...
I have been there for 3 days and believe me never again...
This is not Hilton quality for the folowing reasons
- the food is terrible
- service at the front desk is poor ( they have charge my credit card twice )
- I had a TV problem in my room not fixed after 3 days
- I have been awaken at 8 am for a minibar check !!!
Conclusion : RUN AWAY

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
7  Thank Chocotof
Megan Candice D, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our Hilton Windhoek for your recent stay in Namibia and for taking the time to give us feedback.
We are truly sorry about the inconvenience that you experienced while you were staying with us.

We have worked hard to improve our guest experience.

Our goal is to deliver high-quality hospitality to every guest on every stay, starting from your arrival until your departure.

We hope, that during your next visit in Windhoek, we can welcome you once again at our Hotel, to prove that we are really passionate about guest service

with kind regards,
Megan De Jongh
PA to the General Manager

Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed at your hotel on a business trip. I met with my clients in the executive bar on the 9th floor. Friendly staff memebers. 1) My clients orded Windhoel beer, just to be informed that they had none. 2) I wanted a Bells whiskey, just to be infirmed that they had no Bells, but they have Jameson. 3) I order a Jameson just to be informed that they had no whiskey!
4)I also order a pizza, chicken and mushroom in my room. Just to be informed that there were no mushrooms for my pizza. 5) By the way,there was no menu in the room. I had to request one from room service. 6) The water pressure is very poor for a shower.
I have stayed at various Hilton hotels all over the world,but I have never had such a bad experiance.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert K
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Dear RobertK,

First and foremost thank you very much for your feedback, please accept my most sincere and deepest apologies that on this occasion the Hilton Windhoek team didnt deliver the service you deserve to get any given time as one of our valuable guests.

Please be assured that I have personally with our Ex. Lounge team reviewed the offerings and availability and I am glad to inform you that the new set up is already in place. Furthermore I have discussed your feedback with our Ex. Chef so to avoid such shortcomings in the future.

I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly on my email address Roman.Kopacek@hilton.com as we would really like to do some service recovery and ensure that you will give us another opportunity in the near future.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

From arrival to departure all the staff went out of their way to be helpful and make you feel welcome.
The hotel is spacious, spotless, and in a very central position in the City.
The breakfast was one of the best I have experienced anywhere in the world, everything being fresh, the pastries, and rolls all warm. Stacks of fruits, and cereals.
Hot dishes cooked to order. Something for everyone. Tables immaculate
The room was instantly welcoming, with large beds covered in pristine white linen. My only reservation was that the bathroom was open-plan (toilet enclosed and shower separate). My problem no doubt, but I'm a bit choosey about who I want to watch having a bath. But, it was all spotless.
I watched with horror the way some of the guests behaved, fingers in the fruit salad bowl straight to the mouth, and they would no doubt blame the hotel if anything went wrong.
I visit a lot of hotels around the world, and this is one of the best.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ski_Wrinkley
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

Dear Ski_Wrink,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which I have shared with my team. Comments like yours make the efforts of a young team truely worthwile.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

An evening in Hilton Hotel

Elvis Mboya

On 6 August 2011 was not my first time to sample services on offer at Hilton Windhoek. I had been there before to attend a pre-opening media brief, the official opening ceremony and a corporate function hosted by Windhoek Observer.

As an entertainment and lifestyles writer with nearly a decade of experience in the country and southern Africa, I have witnessed the rise and fall of taverns, but, Hilton’s superior services, facilities and gentle and seductive atmosphere, are poised to thrust this first five-star facility in the country to greater heights.

The 10-storey landmark facility that was officially opened by President Hifikepunye Pohamba in June, is the completed N$300 million project that forms part of the N$2 billion Eliakim Namundjebo Plaza owned by United Africa Group (UAG), a pet project of Martha Namundjebo-Tilahun and Addis Tilahun. The launch was graced by the who is who of the country’s politics, economic and social spectrum.

The scorecard

Since its doors opened to the public, the facility instantly became the place to be for socialites thirsty for entertainment as well as offering conference and meeting hub for businesspeople yearning for five-star service and soothing environment.
In recent times, eager guests have been flocking in their hundreds to the spectacular landmark nestled in the heart of the city, barely 20 a-minutes’ drive from Hosea Kutako International Airport.

Since then, there have been flurry of debate on social utility networks, and on the streets, with revellers worried about the prices at the hotel. However, they soon realised that the facility’s uncompromised hospitality standards come at a relatively affordable price compared to most of its peers in hospitality and tourism industry that have a 4- and 3-star rating.
Value for money

For instance, a Windhoek Lager beer costs N$18 at Hilton compared to several sprouting restaurants and lounges in the city that charge the same for the bottle or more. A decent meal costs about N150 and cheapest accommodation N$1,400 per night.

That does not mean the quality of the service is compromised. The management understands that there are different groups of economic classes that can afford to mingle with the high and mighty, with a beer that costs N$18 in the same facility. The upper class client are catered for with drinks like the Johnny Walker blue label that costs N$200 a tot.

Still, exclusivity, class, and superior facilities are uncompromised for those who can afford it. Guests with deeper pockets can be ushered into the superior comfort of presidential, diplomatic suites in exclusive lounges for those who want value for their money.

Dining at Hilton Windhoek is an experience worth trying out. There are restaurants of choice that include Ekipa, Kalabar, Terrace, Centrum Lounge, Divine Wine Bar and Sky Bar.

Superior facilities

The Sky Bar is located on the roof top of the building next to a swimming pool. The spot offers a spectacular view of the city’s central business district.

The facility offers varied leisure activities that include a 24-hour wellness and fitness centre (gym and massage room), heated lap pool complete with sundeck located at the roof top.

Business travellers, tourists and local corporate executives have varied choices of conference rooms with a capacity of accommodating 250 guests.

The facility also offers a convenient tuck shop, an ATM, internet facilities, laundry, and exclusive executive floor lounge.

Luxurious accommodation includes one presidential suite, 124 king rooms (including eight king deluxe, four executive guest rooms), 22 executive rooms, 12 double rooms.

Pride of the nation

The facility forms the first phase of Windhoek’s new N$2 billion Freedom Plaza complex. The building integrates retail, offices, residential and entertainment with the hotel.

This is the first five-star hotel, and one of the largest developments of this nature in Namibian hospitality industry and is set to transform the urban face and dynamics of the Windhoek CBD.

Namibia becomes the 50th in the world, and seventh country in Africa to have the prestige of Hilton branded hotel, joining South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenya, Cameroon, Nigeria and Tanzania.
A day or evening at Hilton Windhoek is an experience to remember.

The author is a Kenyan born Namibian investigative journalist working in Southern Africa since 2002. This review was published in Windhoek Observer (12 August 2011).
Email: elvismboya@yahoo.com

Pictures: Elvis Mboya & Hilton Hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Elvis M

Dear Elvis, thanks for your kind comments, which I have shared with the team, hope you are coming to visit us also for our
a) Rooms Special
b) Christmas Lunch/New Years Eve Galadinner
c) F&B Bar promotions
d) Summer time pool/spa special.

Feel free to contact me offline.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

As a frequent business traveler, I have the opportunity to enjoy or, G-d forbid, “suffer” from many hotels and accommodations all over the world. Having recently spent 4 nights at the Hilton Windhoek, I can testify this place is definitely one of the greatest hotels I have stopped by for a long time. With a friendly and well-intentioned staff, spacious and well-furnished rooms, a comfortable business lounge, a generous buffet breakfast, a lovely sunroof terrace with a pool and a nice view of the surroundings and just 5 min. walk from the main business and shopping areas, it provides you everything you need to make your stay the most productive and enjoyable one.
Simply said, this hotel is a “must-stay” for anyone traveling to Namibia.

Room Tip: higher floow to enjoy the nice view of the surroundings
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear Gabi_Trav,

Thank you soo much for your kind words which I have taken the liberty to share with my team, it is comment such as yours which make all your efforts worthwile.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton WHK in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed one night at the end of our Namibia trip – and to be honest the only reason we did was the exceptional room rate I got. The room was great and the rooftop pool perfect for chilling out after the drive down. Our arrival from 2 weeks travelling coincided with the expected arrival of the President to visit a conference being held at the hotel. The speed with which our (very dirty) car was removed and we were whisked down the red carpet and out of sight without in any way feeling aggrieved says much for the tact and humour of the staff. Well recommended – if the price is right.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Dear Taxdoug, thanks for your nice comments about value for money and for your understanding during our VIP visit, which I trust you understand not only in our hands but State Security. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
With kind regards