“Surprisingly excellent”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

Brand new hotel; inviting, comfy, soft, clean beds; ultra modern decor; phenomenal buffet breakfast; very friendly staff; helpful cheeky concierge; value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear Rockolas,

Thanks for your kind and positive comments. What more can I add then it is such comments which make our efforts truely worthwile,

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards

Roman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stayed in the Hilton for the first time and I was really satisfied. As it is new the interior is very nice and clean. The location of the hotel is also perfect as it is in the center of the city.

Also perfect is the "Sky-Bar" on the roof top. You can have nice drinks and snacks there and enjoy the sunset after your day. Seems that also some local people are coming there to relax.

A little bit bad is the slow service in the other bars of the hotel. Took quite some time to get a waiter to the table. This should be improved.
Also the pool (again on the roof top) is a little bit small. If you would like to swim you have to be alone. Otherwise you could have trouble with avoiding collisions.

All in all I will be back in this hotel when I will be back in Windhoek.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Tony Chorizo,

Thanks for your kind comments and I am glad that you like our hotspot skybar. Please be assured that we will make a point to retrain our Kalabar and Centrum team.

Best regards and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

when people are in windhoek they should have in mind that the options right now are zero,unless you wish to pay 500 usd...i know the city well and for this price you could not get better..there are bed and breakfast that call themselves a boutique hotel and are an absolute joke..not to mention price...overall...public spaces clean and well decorated...rooftop was an excellent idea...piano at night a bit loud but the sound did not go up to the rooms...room and bath cleaned and again well decorated..shower in closed glass .. turn down service...food in room service so so...fast pick and deliver lugage...wi fi was fast at the price of 7.5 eu/hour...reception was attentive ..
i will be back

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear 919 traveller,

Thanks for your feedback and glad to note that you overall enjoyed your stay and we have taken your comments on board in regards Rooms service speed as well as price for internet. Furthermore would like to highlight that our room rates for a Hilton Guest Room (minimum standard) start from as little as 180 US$ including taxes and Breakfast depending on day of the week and seasonality. Should you wish to return feel free to contact me directly via Roman.Kopacek@Hilton.com.

Yours sincerely

Roman Kopacek

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Travelled there just after it had opened and for me it was the location that was great. Rooms had no wifi but were normal Hilton standard. Restaurant wouldn't let us in as we arrived 10 minutes before closing so for me not great but sure it's worth a visit. Loved the rooftop bar

Stayed: May 2011
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Blasterchris,

Thanks for the comments - over the last year we had upgraded our Internet to double bandwith for guests and all guest rooms also have Wifi since beginning of this year. Also our restaurant times have been extended till 23.00 daily as well as our bars closing times have been extended too. Great that you loved our Skybar (Rooftop Bar) we just had the team retrained for weeks and the cocktails are flying......Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With kind regards.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

I am torn between a 5 star and 3 star review. I guess, I could have went with a 4 star but one particular incident (which turned out okay) could have been a mess. The Windhoek Hilton is very cool; modern and not tacky. The lobby is bright with lots of clever little touches and well staffed.

Well staffed, as in plenty of people to help you out. All the staff were quite friendly and seemed to know what their own jobs were - general things and requests outside their own description seems to bring a little confusion though. I don't mean, requesting the elevator guy to give you a pedicure, but asking the person who clears the dishes for coffee was ineffective. That said, I find that happens quite a bit in Africa. (I'm a Canadian/American living in Botswana)

The rooms were great. Large, inviting, and CLEAN! For me, "clean" is the most important hotel adjective, and our rooms were spotless. Open concept with a separate toilet area, plenty of water pressure, big towels, and lots of amenities in case you forgot something. (razors, shaving cream, toothbrush, shoe mitt, etc. . . . My wife thought the lotion was pleasant smelling for what it's worth.

Food was good in the restaurant and our caipirinhia at the roof-top pool bar was perfect. (We have had some really bad drinks in Africa so this was a welcome treat.)

Okay, so why the 3 star review? Well, for starters, check-in was ridiculous. It was not busy at all yet took forever. Our reservation had been canceled for starters, and no one could explain why. I asked if they had rooms available, which they did, so I told them "no big deal" let's just check into some rooms they had available. There was lots of running around, and discussion, and running around, etc. . . After 15 minutes we were offered a seat and a drink which we declined and waited another ~10 minutes before finally receiving our rooms. I still am not sure what was happening. Just put your guests in a room, and figure out any problems you might be having afterward. (we had just driven up from Swakop and wanted to settle in and grab some lunch.)

Lunch was good enough, and guests ate for 130 bucks/buffet. We live in reasonably rural Bots and wanted to hit a mall, so down to get the car. They had parked it for me at check-in and handed me a ticket. We had no idea where it was though (I thought they were valet parking for me) They pointed out where the garage elevator was and down we go to the upper garage. Apparently, the upper garage is more love-nest than garage, as it was empty except for 2 amorous couples who appeared to be returning from a rendezvous - glad we weren't a couple minutes earlier. They directed us to the Lower Garage where we found our car. (the seats were not reclined so I took that as a good sign) The ticket we received would not let us out though the gate though. Time elapsed, add more money or something. We backed up and found someone to release us back into the wilds of Windhoek, and were off.

Okay, the biggest problem was on our check-out day. We were traveling with my parents who are pretty well-traveled - and I should add that they liked the hotel on the whole, and they're used to the Ritz/Mombo/and other 5 star fare. We kept having staff visit us before checking out. I think the housekeepers stopped by around 9:00AM - whatever, we told them we'd be checking out at 11:00AM. (Check out is noon) Then someone came by who wanted to check out mini-bar. Dude, leave us alone, come count when we're gone. It was the non-staff visitor that was disturbing. My parents were hanging out in their room and some dude in a military uniform just walks in. He was pulling a suitcase, so I assume he was trying to check into his room - but this should not happen. Things happen in hotel rooms that should not be disturbed - not in my parents' room I hope, but in other rooms. Or who knows, what if nobody was there and the entrant was a thief? What if my wife was alone and the person was unsavory? She might kick his a@@, but. . . I hope this is a rare event.

I realize that this could happen anywhere, but it should not. The staff appeared to be earnest and trying - they were friendly, but it seems like they need a layer of training on becoming capable on general help outside their exact job description. (I didn't mention the hot coffee at breakfast we requested didn't come until we were finishing up our breakfast - that was a long 3 minutes!) Great hotel, friendly staff, a little too rough around the edges (staff doesn't really seem to understand what a typical guest is looking for - assuming I know what a typical guest is looking for) - and they need to seriously work on their check-in/check-out procedures.

1  Thank AustinOO

Dear Austin00,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback about the property. I was glad to learn that you enjoyed the friendliness of the team as well as had a spotless CLEAN room. I am glad to inform you that we have just recently split away our Trainingsfunction and have now an increased manning in our Trainingsdepartment so to ensure we can further train on the areas you mentioned, which I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. If your time allows would appreciate if you could also contact me via Roman.Kopacek@hilton.com for some additional information which I would like to gather if not too much trouble. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Booked a very last-minute trip when my husband was granted some unexpected days off work.
Arranged transfer from the airport through the hotel which was punctual and comfortable.
We had a room in the "tower" part of the hotel. Very spacious, clean and modern with a superb king-size bed and nice sitting area with comfy chairs and a table. More than adequate wardrobe and drawer space.
Loved the bathroom with it's "rain" shower. We chose not to make use of the huge bathtub ( trying to be "green" and conserve water ) but it was tempting!
The breakfast buffet was among the best I have sampled anywhere. Good selection of hot and cold food and most importantly, really good coffee, a rarity in many hotels imo. Dinner was good value for money also (with a bread and butter pudding to die for!)
Everywhere appeared clean and well maintained. Service was always with a smile and help readily and willingly given if required.
Well done Hilton Windhoek......can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Cookspain,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which I have shared with my team. It is such comments and yours which make the hard efforts of a young team truely rewarding and worthwile. Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

i stayed down there for a week. rooms are excellent. the kalabar bar is peaceful and nice. the roof top bar and view is excellent. but i was disappointed with quality of the food.. the choices and quality wasnt upto par. took too long for checkout. apart from that i would go back. hope they improve the food area.

Stayed: April 2012
Megan Candice D, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2015

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments.

We have worked hard over the years to improve our guest experience.

we do hope that you will return to the property in the near future.

Thanks,