“Skybar with beautiful view - even as non resident” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Hamburg, Germany
“Skybar with beautiful view - even as non resident”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

By accident we went into the lobby and asked if we are allowed to go up to the skybar at the Hilton. Suprisingly, it was allowed and didn't cost anything either.

So don't miss the possibility to watch the sunset over Windhoek while enjoying a good drink (prices were to my astonishment not too bad - 23N$ for a coke).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for posting your feedback on our tripadvisor page, pleased to note that you enjoyed the spetacular views of Windhoek from our Sky bar. Looking forward to Welcome you back soon to our hotel again and that you will be able to experience all our other services available at our hotel.

Teun Engbers - Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently spent a week at the Hilton in Windhoek for business. The hotel was incredibly comfortable for the business traveler: amazing bed with sleek sheets and quality bedding, great blackout curtains, strong air conditioning that never faltered (amazing for such a hot place!), reliable wifi, and a gorgeous bathroom. The bathtub was perfectly sized for soaking and the shower was powerful. Even the hair dryer in the room blew me away - the mamba has to be the best in-room hair dryer EVER.

Praise should also be heaped upon the dining options in the hotel. The breakfast buffet was incredibly delicious. I loved the variety of foods, especially the fresh smoothies and juices (omg, orange and pineapple!). Specialty coffees can be ordered (cappuccinos, lattes, etc). and there is a variety of tea available, although I must say that the filter coffee was delish. The yogurt and fruits (both fresh and dry) rounded out a delightful breakfast each morning.

My colleague and I decided to dine in one night (we walked to Sardinia around the corner every other night, but it is closed on Tuesdays) and were delightfully surprised at the healthy menu offerings in the main restaurant. I enjoyed a grilled chicken breast (on the bone!) with fresh grilled veggies and peri-peri sauce. Also of note was the amazing wine list, which featured several South African winners. I adore SA wine so was pleased that we had so many great options to choose from (yay, Kleine Zalze!). Service was an absolute delight that night and we truly enjoyed our dining experience there, which is saying a lot for a hotel!

I also took advantage of the spa on my first night there, having critically injured my pedicure by having a bag dropped on my feet at the Namibian airport. I scored an appointment in the spa for that same day; the mani/pedi I ordered took 2 delicious hours of relaxing time. And the mani/pedi looked fab! Prices were definitely ex pat prices, but the convenience made it worth it - plus I was so relaxed, I actually fell asleep during the service!

Speaking of the spa, the rooftop bar is quite lovely and a relaxing spot. I must note that the lap pool is a lot smaller than I expected and is right in the middle of the roof, so be aware that if you want to swim to work out, anyone in the bar area will be watching you.

Checkout was a BREEZE! My bill was 100% correct and it was no problem at all to divide out lodging costs from personal costs. Great job Hilton!

So, what could possibly have caused a variable service comment? Here we go....

On our very first night, the power in my colleague's room went out around 9:00pm, just as she was heading to bed. She called and found out it was only out in her room and that someone would take care of it. 2 hours later - sitting in the dark in her room - she essentially had to wrangle someone to get them to come up and resolve the power issue. Note - she hadn't plugged anything so she hadn't tripped a breaker, yet the folks she spoke to made her feel at fault and that they shouldn't help her. Super duper weird and made for a rough start to her week.

I needed to exchange money one day so went to the front desk to change it out. I was told no money had arrived; come back at 7:00. I came back at 7:00 and was told no, the money hadn't arrived, check back. I called down at 8:00 and got a curt reply that no money had come yet. I called back at 9:00 and was firmly told that no, no money was coming, they only accepted credit cards and didn't keep cash on hand, and no, they couldn't even change $20 (that's all I wanted to change out), all while being very huffy on the line. Just very rude, and not the customer service I expect from a HIlton.

We also had a surly waitress every morning at breakfast. We'd see her smile at other patrons, but to us, we got snarls. It actually got comical to see her face change when she would happily look at someone else, and then look at us and frown. I never quite understood why she was so rude to us, but she definitely was. Boohoo.

Making a spa appointment was confusing - I got told the line was busy and that someone would call me... but after an hour, nothing. So I called directly and got a booking. Just no follow-up one would expect from a hotel of this caliber.

Other small things: water bottles were in the room on day 1, but never replaced. I got stuck on the elevator one morning and rode all the way up when I needed to go down, and then stopped at several floors on the way. The shape of the sink makes water splash out everywhere, so although the look is aesthetically pleasing, it isn't very functional.

All in all, I would recommend staying here for the central location, comfortable rooms, and delicious healthy food. Just be aware that you won't always get service with a smile....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the positive feedback as well as the concerns raised, we value each and everyone of our guest feedback as it assist us in our future growth and development. My sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on the areas stated, please feel free to contact me directly should you need any assistance upon your future returns to our hotel.

Trust that we will welcome you back very soon to our hotel or to any of our sister brand hotels worldwide.

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I spent one night at the Hilton in Windhoek, a new property centrally located, with great terrace bar and spa. The rooms are elegant but there is no separation between the bedroom and bathroom. You have to pay for wifi and breakfast separately. The front desk staff is not terribly friendly. For what you pay, you don't really feel all that welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the great feedback, our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance in the future.Trust that we will welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice since my initial review but the time interval was too short to review the second visit seperately.
On the second visit the accommodations were ok but there were decidedly dodgy looking folk hanging about in the lobby and on the mezzanine floor near the bar plus we were bothered by a rather persistant 'lady of the evening' who was not ejected by the staff till we complained most strongly.
On this visit there was evidence of further slippage. Internet access did not work when we spent our forst night and still did nto work when we returend after an absence of 2 nights. The service in the mezzanine level bar was very poor. We enetered, were ignored for a while by the staff who were gathered round the end of the bar gossiping. I went up and asked if we could get some drinks and they said yes. Sat down to watch a argumeht betweem them as to who was going to actually work....after that service was good till we moved inside as it was cold, ordered a last round of drinks and waited 20 mins for it not to arrive....
The room one of my party was given was a smoking room though my HH Honors says non-smoking and I am not sure what was being smoked in there but the air was unbreathable! When the guest asked for another room she was initially told this was impossible but then another desk staff approached and made the change. The Desk staff seem to face a smile range. As you approach they regard you with sort of disdain till you are a few feet away and then break into a smile - sorry but the damage was done on the approach!
The service in the restaurant is great however - very freindly folk and the food is good! But dont ask for a paoched egg for breakfast - cant do it!
I think we will try the Kalahari for a while or a Luxury Room at Roof of Africa....
Lastly the cleanliness of the room was very poor in the toilet - we arrived quite late at night and did not notice what was on the glass wall till we got up the next morning!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Robert T
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking time to complete our on-line survey and for posting your feedback on our tripadvisor page. It is indeed with great concern to read that your expectations were not met during your recent stays with us, I have taken note of your concerns raised based on the service that you received at our hotel. On behalf of the Hilton Windhoek team my sincere apologies for the fact that our Bar teams were not carrying out their duties, your room request that was not reserved as per your request, room which was not cleaned as per our brand standard and overall service delivery not being met. I have shared your feedback with the Management so as for us to ensure that we rectify on all these areas and better meet your expectations upon your future returns.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance on teun.engbers@hilton.com. Thank you once again for your feedback and trust that we will Welcome you back soon to our property or to any of our sister brand hotels worldwide.

Hallevik, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Good.
The rooms lovely. Spacious. Great beds. The interior very modern and just up to my liking. The staff very helpful and always alert. The breakfast amazing. Loved the freshly squeezed fruit juices. The roof bar was also very nice.
Not so good:
Sometimes the staff seemed to be confused. Booked transportation to the airport. Found out it was not booked. Booked again. Not booked. We managed the third time. The lunch order was not correct. I ordered a burger without majo, got it. Sent it out. Got it back without majo and without other staff, that I wanted. And the meat was cold....not acceptable for a five star hotel.
They charged me twice for the same laundry. No excuse.

Overall, I wouldn't rate this hotel as a five star one. Rather a four star.

However, I will probably come back

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Birgit B
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking time to post your feedback on our tripadvisor page, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our room designs, breakfast and the freshly made juices as well as the Sky Bar with its panoramic views. Our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations regarding your lunch order, transfers which were not booked as per your request and for the laundry charges. I have shared your feedback with our Operations team to follow up on and rectify in order for us to better meet your expectations upon your future visits.

Looking forward to Welcoming you back very soon to Hilton Windhoek or to any of our sister hotels Worldwide.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Very modern and pleasant hotel with wonderful staff to assist. The rooms are clean, wonderful and spacious. I will stay at this hotel again should I travel to Namibia and certainly will recommend it to friends and family traveling to Nambia.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the positve feedback, pleased to note that you had a wonderful stay with us. Looking forward to Welcome you back very soon to our property.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a modern hotel with well appointed rooms. The lap pool and the sky bar is a nice place to relax and has a good atmosphere and service.

The bar on the Mezzanine level is also fun with music and again a good atmosphere. Close to the centre of town and probably the best place in the capital.

Friendly service, breakfast was everything you could want. The restaurant though at Dinner was very slow service (from the kitchen) which let it down as the waiter service was all you could ask for. Over all it was a good place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same but keep away from 812, 813 and 814 as they have a bad sewerage smell.