“Not living up to Hilton standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
eMalahleni, South Africa
“Not living up to Hilton standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

While the hotel is clean and the rooms are modern and spacious, the service is poor!! The restaurant was a major let down. I am not going to go into specifics, but would only recommend this hotel as a one night stop over. If I had stayed over more than one night, it would have driven me crazy. Now we are on our way back there on the 3rd of January...I am not getting my hopes up that it will be better. There is a management problem at this hotel. I see you respond to complaints, but it does not seem that you are doing anything to rectify the issues. I can also write responses and make promises. Let's see what happens when we go back. (We pre booked our trip)

1 Thank Gary H
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Mr Haven,

Thank you kindly for your feedback.
If possible, could you email me more about the issues you had during your stay? My email is teun.engbers@hilton.com or alternatively I will meet you during your next stay on 3rd of January.

My apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel between 12 December and 20 December 2013 and it was not a good experience.

We were in an Executive Room- but it lacks bathroom and toilet privacy; terrible if you have a visitor and also if one uses the facilities when the other person is sleeping.
One night we could not sleep for a couple of hours because of a noise from the shower, probably because it was in use in the adjacent room. There is constant noise from the lift throughout the night.
The lighting is poor and the room is semi dark.
Though Wi-Fi is advertised at the Hotel's website, it is not free and I was quoted N1000+ for a week's use and so I had to do without. So effectively there is no Internet except for a shared computer in the lobby for all guests.
My wife tendered for a currency change GB£90 and was given a receipt for 90Euros, we made several attempts to get this rectified until we had to give up. I tried a couple of times to change money and found they did not have enough local money. The staff also keep telling you that their rate is very low.

We ate breakfast and Dinner there. The meals are boring monotonous and not great, the last breakfast we asked for fried egg and we were given one egg each. Sometimes room service food is brought in a warmer and sometimes it is just placed on a trolley. If you want room service breakfast you have to ring for the order card every time. For three days the hotel Restaurant had no soft drinks. The tea bags in the rooms are rationed to one bag a person in case one wants to use the tea making facilities in the room.

Over all, the staff seem to lack proper training although they are very cheerful and try to be helpful.

This was a trip arranged by our children as a present for our 40 wedding anniversary and it would break their heart if we told them of our experience. This is not the Hilton service and facilities I am familiar with.

Room Tip: Better to go to the restaurant than room service as the service is not consistent in quality.
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us.

My apologies for the issues you have riased of your experience. I have shared this with our team and we will ensure a proper follow up is done to rectify this.

Thank you for the positive comments about our team members and we will ensure we tackle the issues raised.

luderitz, Namibia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

excelent hotel. very friendly and helpfull staff and a very good price. they also gave us a nice special gift for our wedding aniversary when we checked in. i will definitely be booking at and recommmend the hilton again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am pleased to see you had a nice experience at our hotel.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future to our hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I had reservations to stay in the Hilton but there was a labor strike so I was put in another hotel down the street. When I arrived in Windhoek I was notified that the strike was over and I was back in the Hilton. The hotel is beautiful and so was my room. My room was located on the 6th floor with a great view of the city. Everything in the room worked and I did not have any issues or problems with my accommodations. The staff was very friendly and polite. The hotel has an excellent breakfast buffet. I ate in the main restaurant three nights and the steaks and braised pork belly were excellent! On the 9th floor is a roof top bar call the sky bar. The views were wonderful and it is a great place to watch the sunset.

I am not sure if it is true or not but I charged one of my meals to my room and I let the waitress know I was leaving a tip on the room tab. She told me not to do that because the management takes ALL the tips that are left that way and on credit cards and divides them among all the waiters. If this is true, I am not happy because my tip is for the individual that waits on me...not those that did not provide me the service. I ended up bringing her cash the next day so she would get it.

Also, I had to pay N$185 ($18.50 US) per day (24 hours) for WiFi. This was crazy! Come on Hilton.

Room Tip: For views choose a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 20 December 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are pleased to see you came to the hotel once the industrial action was over.

We are also very pleased with the positive comments you have provided.

My apologies if the price for the Internet was not to your satisfaction.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Lugano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few days in this nice new hotel. The staff were friendly but u able to help when there was a problem. Our room was very noisy due to the water system but the staff continually ignored the request for a different room.

Internet is very slow and far too expensive.

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 20 December 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback.
My apologies for the noise you experienced and the lack of responds from our team members to move you to another room. If you would like to send me more details I can make a follow up regarding the room as well as the team on duty. My email is teun.engbers@hilton.com

Walvis Bay, Namibia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Hotel is stunning and so are the rooms. Service in Bar and Restaurants is terrible. Staff watching TV, or just plainly ignoring guests while waiting to be served. Nightclub on the same premises and music keeping you awake most of the night.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Ralph C
Teun79, Director of Operations at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very m,uch for your feedback and positive comments about the hotel and rooms.

My apologies for your experience in our outlets and noise from the night club. I will share this with the team and we will follow up on these issues.

We do hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

The only hotel in Namibia that I know that charges guests for WiFi. N$75 (US$7) per hour. When I complained to Reception, the staff said "We agree with you. WiFi should be free for guests". A tour operator standing next to me said that several of his clients had also complained. C'mon, Hilton, up your game!

3 Thank Tom V

Thank you very much for your feedback.

It is our company brand standard that Internet is charged for but we are in the process of implementing changes regarding the public areas.

My sincere apologies if this has effected your experience with us.

We do hope you will stay with us again in the near future.