“Mediocre Windhoek Hilton”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Namibia
“Mediocre Windhoek Hilton”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Service at Skybar was almost non-existent and that on Christmas day. Don't trust the lifts - we got stuck for a few minutes. Breakfast was very mediocre. No warm fish. Coffee service very bad. Apart from that , the rooms are lovely and clean and the staff are friendly at least. You have to pay for Wi-Fi. Situated in the centre of town.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

My apologies for the issues you have had during your recent stay. I will follow up with the head of departments to improve on our services and product.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed a total of 5 nights on 3 separate occasions, during a 3-week visit to Namibia in Dec., 2013. My company does a fair bit of business w. Hilton in the U.S. and Canada, so I'm a Hilton Honors member. I stayed at the Hilton Windhoek using a combination points and payment.
From my perspective, the Hilton Windhoek proved to be a solid, comfortable base from which to explore the country in 3 different directions. It was nice, for example, after spending several nights at the Sesrium campsite on the edge of the Namib Desert, at a campsite w/out water for the better part of 2 days (a water pump broke prior to New Year's Eve, shutting off water to the entire campsite) to have a hot shower and be able to wash the grit out.
The Hilton Windhoek caters to a mix of tourists, many from Europe or S.Africa, and Namibian and other businesspersons from across Africa. It's clean, pleasant, modern-looking with a really stylish interior and exterior design, and well-maintained. It's Africa — to expect the standards of the Beverly Hilton (which I'm familiar with) is somewhat misguided.
The positives: The rooms are well-designed, with a large double bed, African and European power plugs (a nice touch: those Namibian and South African 3-prong plugs are ludicrous, and even a lot of "all-country" power adaptors, with plugs for about 7 different continents, don't accommodate the bizarre S.African plug). I stayed in 3 different rooms; all were pleasant, comfortable and clean.
I mainlined coffee in the Centrum bar — the only decent cup of coffee, for my taste, I found anywhere in Namibia. Some of the coffee, especially on safari, was so awful I was reduced to drinking tea, because at least pre-fab tea bags can be depended on. The Centrum coffee is quite good: It takes a while, but they brew the cup while you wait. I ordered a hamburger with a friend (she ordered chicken wrap) and, surprise, it was really quite good,much better than you would expect from a lobby-level coffee shop. The Centrum has indoor and outdoor seating on plush chairs, couches and proper tables.
Check-in — I don't normally name names, but I will here: Emmarendia — could not have been more warm and welcoming. Dealing with employees is the luck of the draw; when you come across someone as forthright and helpful as Emmarendia, you know they won't be fronting a reception desk for long: They're management material, and it'll only be a matter of time before they move up. The next person may not be so on the ball.
I've gone into detail because some of the reviews on this site — perfectly valid, I imagine — have complained about the service. I can only speak for myself and my own visit, but I found the service to be impeccable. As I visited on 3 separate occasions, that must count for something.
An example: My first night, my shower flooded (a combination of a design flaw and a blocked drain). Hotel maintenance repaired the drain less than an hour after I reported it (trust me, you wouldn't get that kind of service in California, and I know) and housekeeping seemed brisk and efficient,. Some staff are friendlier than others, but Emmarendia and a couple of the converges I dealt with were above & beyond the call.
To sum: I couldn't have asked for more. I was looking for a clean, comfortable "base" from which to rest and freshen up after some gnarly excursions into the back country, and that's exactly what I got. I won't hesitate to stay here on future layovers in Windhoek.
The hotel itself is centrally located, by the way, across the street from a grocery store and chicken takeout, down the street from the Kalahari Sands mall and about a 3-block walk away from a 24-hour KFC (useful when it's a holiday or Saturday, and everything else is closed). The KFC seems especially popular w. locals — always a good sign. (North Americans note: The chicken pieces are much bigger than the ratty, expensive, over-priced portions we're used to back home: Namibian fried chicken, even KFC, puts North American fast food to shame. And it's less expensive, too.)
A caveat for those who don't like street noise: I did find the street noise to be quieter on the rooms on the right side of the hotel; rooms on the left side of the hotel can be a bit noisy, especially at night, when sometimes it sounds as if some drivers are drag-racing. Didn't bother me much — I use ear plugs, when in doubt — but it may bother some.
In all, a pleasant place to stay that I did not expect from southern Africa, at least outside South Africa. In my view, as a Hilton Honors member, certainly a credit to the Hilton name. My only fear would be if Hilton walks away one day — it happens in the hotel business — leaving some other chain to take over. For now, for me, it's perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right side of the hotel (as you exit the elevators) overlooking the main drag and Kalah...
Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your feedback of your stays with us in December.

We are very pleased to see the positive comments about our team members, service and our coffee.

I will convey your comments to Emmarendia and we will recognize her.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 31 December 2013

What a great way to start the holiday. We arrived after a 10 hour journey to the newest hotel in Windhoek. Check in was easy- always a good start. I like the fresh minimalistic look of the hotel.

The room was great and the beds super comfortable. My only complaint would be the bathrooms. I am not all for this open door concept. The tub was great and large but no where to put the soap or shampoo.

Lived the rooftop bar. Looking forward to a night at the Hilton before we leave.

Breakfast was super nice.

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are pleased to see you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I understand your comment about the bathroom. This is something I will look into.

We look forward welcoming you back for your next visit.

Asante sana

Valkenburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Oasis of tranquility in Windhoek. Rooms are modern, big and with good views on the city. Breakfast is what you can expect from Hilton: abundant. Roofterrace issomething you would come back for. Swimmingpool with views of the complete city. Only point of attention is the staff: a bit arrogant and not very keen on thinking along.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback of your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and the positive comments of the hotel.

My apologies if the team members have not delivered the service we stand for. We will follow up in terms of training and checking on service delivery.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

eMalahleni, South Africa
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

While the hotel is clean and the rooms are modern and spacious, the service is poor!! The restaurant was a major let down. I am not going to go into specifics, but would only recommend this hotel as a one night stop over. If I had stayed over more than one night, it would have driven me crazy. Now we are on our way back there on the 3rd of January...I am not getting my hopes up that it will be better. There is a management problem at this hotel. I see you respond to complaints, but it does not seem that you are doing anything to rectify the issues. I can also write responses and make promises. Let's see what happens when we go back. (We pre booked our trip)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary H
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Mr Haven,

Thank you kindly for your feedback.
If possible, could you email me more about the issues you had during your stay? My email is teun.engbers@hilton.com or alternatively I will meet you during your next stay on 3rd of January.

My apologies for not meeting your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel between 12 December and 20 December 2013 and it was not a good experience.

We were in an Executive Room- but it lacks bathroom and toilet privacy; terrible if you have a visitor and also if one uses the facilities when the other person is sleeping.
One night we could not sleep for a couple of hours because of a noise from the shower, probably because it was in use in the adjacent room. There is constant noise from the lift throughout the night.
The lighting is poor and the room is semi dark.
Though Wi-Fi is advertised at the Hotel's website, it is not free and I was quoted N1000+ for a week's use and so I had to do without. So effectively there is no Internet except for a shared computer in the lobby for all guests.
My wife tendered for a currency change GB£90 and was given a receipt for 90Euros, we made several attempts to get this rectified until we had to give up. I tried a couple of times to change money and found they did not have enough local money. The staff also keep telling you that their rate is very low.

We ate breakfast and Dinner there. The meals are boring monotonous and not great, the last breakfast we asked for fried egg and we were given one egg each. Sometimes room service food is brought in a warmer and sometimes it is just placed on a trolley. If you want room service breakfast you have to ring for the order card every time. For three days the hotel Restaurant had no soft drinks. The tea bags in the rooms are rationed to one bag a person in case one wants to use the tea making facilities in the room.

Over all, the staff seem to lack proper training although they are very cheerful and try to be helpful.

This was a trip arranged by our children as a present for our 40 wedding anniversary and it would break their heart if we told them of our experience. This is not the Hilton service and facilities I am familiar with.

Room Tip: Better to go to the restaurant than room service as the service is not consistent in quality.
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us.

My apologies for the issues you have riased of your experience. I have shared this with our team and we will ensure a proper follow up is done to rectify this.

Thank you for the positive comments about our team members and we will ensure we tackle the issues raised.

luderitz, Namibia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

excelent hotel. very friendly and helpfull staff and a very good price. they also gave us a nice special gift for our wedding aniversary when we checked in. i will definitely be booking at and recommmend the hilton again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am pleased to see you had a nice experience at our hotel.

We look forward welcoming you back in the future to our hotel.