“Good”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed for one night at the Hilton. It is right in the centre of town near to most business so it makes it quite easy for business meetings. It is really a good hotel with nothing notable. Service is good, the overall look is ok. The rooftop bar has sensational views.
Had a good stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us at Hilton Windhoek, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our apologies should we not have fully met your expectations however I am pleased to note that you loved the views from our Sky bar.

Trust that we will welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Windhoek

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Spent a single night here on my arrival into the country. Even as just a Gold HHonors member I was given club access and treated well. The hotel is smaller than most Hiltons, but appropriate for the location I am sure. It is centrally located and easy to access from the airport. The car rental agency in the lobby is very useful if you get there and realize later that driving is easy. The service was very good as well, with everyone friendly and kind to all the visitors. The pool is small and more of a single lap pool about 25 meters long. The food offerings in the lounge on the top floor were very good and from the restaurant, although there were not many choices it was more than sufficient. I had plenty of hot water and no broken items. Very comfortable room with a nice view. Quite a few TV options and decent speed internet to wind down from a long day of flying. Internet is free for status level, but as is typical for all high end Hilton hotels, it is not free for everyone. The one thing I would improve though is it would be nice to have free wifi in the lobby, as the airport has few flights and it would be nice to wait in the lobby rather than at the airport after checkout. I would not hesitate to return here again if I am back in Namibia.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Maverick83617

Thank you for the great feedback, we are indeed very happy to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Hilton Windhoek. We are looking forward to Welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had two nights here in January and it was a great chance to relax before we went off on 2 weeks safari around Namibia. I will always be biased about this place, as my boyfriend proposed to me as soon as we arrived! So if there were any negatives about this place, I really didn't notice them. Our room was wonderful - bed comfortable, great shower, quiet, well stocked. The rooftop pool area was a brilliant place to chill the day away reading a book. Food was great - we had the full buffet breakfast each morning, and steak dinner on our second night - service was good. I would recommend this as a great place to start or finish a safari, as I don't believe there was much to do in the city itself - though we didn't venture exploring at all..

Room Tip: We were on level 5 - no issues at all..
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for the great feedback posted on our tripadvisor, pleased to note that your Namibian Safari trip started off well and that we were part and puzzle of the great adventure. We are very happy to note that you enjoyed our food offerings as well as our design and layout.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The staff was wonderful and attentive, the rooms fine (but see below), the location excellent, and the breakfast buffet and other food were quite good. A broken shower head was fixed promptly and effectively by competent staff. It was unfortunate not to have any hot water three mornings during a week's stay (remedied twice after calling for service, but not the third time).
But most important, if there was any water at all on the stone bathroom floor, it became extremely slippery. I felt like a competitor in a new Olympic event, akin to curling, as I pushed a towel ahead of me after each shower, carefully assuring that no inch of the floor was lethally damp.
When a staff member asked me how I was enjoying my stay I told him about this "feature" of the bathroom floor; he nodded knowingly (indicating he'd heard this before) and said he would report the experience -- but nothing changed.
As I checked out after a week and was asked by another staff member, I detailed my slipping and sliding and was told that "yes, this was a design flaw" -- one that had been reported before.
A "design flaw" -- a bathroom floor that must remain completely dry? A design flaw indeed -- one that, despite other winning features in the Hilton Windhoek -- leads me to seek alternatives on future visits to Namibia.

Room Tip: Select a room with a less fatally flawed bathroom (see above)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andyudis

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, please accept our humble apolgies for all the inconveniences experienced during your recent visit to our hotel. As stated in your feedback it is indeed design flaw and we are truly sorry for not meeting your expectations, however thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Trust that we will welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Hotel staff were attentive, friendly and efficient.

Rooms were good and on par with most upper end hotels around the world.

Breakfast was good with a great buffet selection.

Small fitness centre on the top floor with a great view. Located on the same floor is also a small pool as well as bar, great view and nice location to relax.

Only gripe is the Wifi which in this day and age should be complementary. Especially for a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Simon C

Thank you for the great feedback, we are happy to hear that we met your expectations except on the internet services level. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The modern-style rooms are comfortable. I liked the hard bed and deep bath tub. The staff are friendly and helpful. Its in a good location which gives you great access to sights and shopping in Windhoek. There is a great sky-bar on the 9th floor with a swimming pool. The view of the city is stunning from here. Well worth a visit just for that. Great place for sundowners. You get to meet the local middle class lot, black and white. The restaurants are good too, offering a variety of food to satisfy all sorts of palates. Ask for a room on as high a floor as they have. Make sure to visit Katatula township when in Whk. Day visits are safe. If venturing out to She-beens (local drinking dens) go with a local and don’t flash your bling and shiny little machines.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Passwell C

Thank you for the great feedback about our hotel services and facilities, happy to hear that you loved it. Pleased to note that you had a lovely stay with us and that you enjoyed your visits to the local neighbourhoods of Windhoek. Thank you for the room tips shared and trust that we will welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Arrived at the Windhoek Hilton on Feb 17th. The staff were quick to greet us at the front door and grab our luggage. The front entrance and lobby were really beautiful. That is where the good impression ended. Our reservation, booked and paid for months ago was nowhere to be found. We were finally assigned room 211. The room looked quite nice with the exception of the shower. The cover plate for one of the taps was missing. Minor detail but not something you would expect from the Hilton brand. The minibar was also half empty so we had to call room service to get it filled. Not sure how they bill for items if it's not being checked/restocked in between guests. My travel companion spent the $20 for 24 hours of wifi. Incredibly overpriced to begin with so the frustration mounts when it's unreliable. She spent 2 hours on the phone with the IT department to get it working properly. Totally unacceptable. Further to that, there were charges for phonecalls to the IT department that we had to dispute on checkout.

During our stay we were browsing the gift shop. My companion brushed her leg up against the corner of a counter. A chipped glass shelf sliced through her pants and into her knee. She was bleeding all over the floor. The employee just stood there, we had to ask for a cloth or paper towel to slow the bleeding. All she had was toilet paper so I had to run to the front desk to ask for something else. The front desk supervisor came to the gift shop and said a few words to the other employee then left. At no point did anyone ask how she was, ask if we needed anything or if they could call anyone. We made our way to the hospital where she received sutures. The broken shelf was still in place when we returned and the next morning before we left so clearly they were not concerned about the injury whatsoever.

The shower the morning of checkout was also ridiculous. The water pressure was poor to begin with but mid shower the pressure kept dropping until the water shut off all together. The front desk was notified and said they would get someone to work on it. Eventually we discovered the cold water was still working but of course that is less than ideal. I stood in the shower for 10 mins and finally moved back to bed to warm up. My hair was full of shampoo so I couldnt dry off and get dressed. After 45 mins and worried I was going to leave late to the airport I finished my shower with cold water.

We stopped at the front desk on the way out to ensure any additional charges were dealt with so our guide didn't get stuck with anything inappropriate. As mentioned above, there were charges for the internet and calls to the IT department which all were voided. We had also ordered a bottle of wine and I explained the shower situation and said they could at least comp the bottle for my trouble. They ignored me completely until I spoke up and brought the cold shower to their attention again. I got attitude from from the clerk at that point. She asked if I told anyone about the cold shower. In fact, my companion made 2 calls and our guide also went directly to the front desk after I notified him of the problem. They eventually agreed to void the charges for the wine.

I will add that the breakfast buffet was quite good. Had a great selection and made to order options.

I would hope that this property was just having an off day during our stay but from my perspective the staff are either poorly trained or completely indifferent. Perhaps a combination of the two. I had never stayed at Hilton property before and was so looking forward to my first experience. Unfortunately it was incredibly disappointing. Maybe one day I'll try a Hilton again but not anytime soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank canuckchickie

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel as your second home during your recent visit to Windhoek, Namibia. It is indeed very concerning to read that your stay and most importantly first experience at the Hilton Hotel was not what you looked forward to. I have thus followed up on the issues as stated in your feedback with the team, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced with the booking, minibar and internet. However I am happy to hear that you loved the breakfast. My apologies for the injury obtained by your friend, as per the information given to you by our Front Desk Supervisor the gift shop does belong to us however I have shared your feedback regarding this with the owner as well, to ensure that this is repaired as soon as possible. I trust that we will welcome you back soon to Hilton Windhoek or to any of our sister brand hotels Worldwide.