“They Just Don't Get It”

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
“They Just Don't Get It”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The staff at this hotel just doesn't understand the concept of urgency with regards to customer complaints. We had multiple problems during our stay-ranging from the internet not working properly to housekeeping forgetting to leave bathroom amenities after they cleaned our room and in each instance we had to call repeated before we got a response or resolution. Under the circumstances I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Oscar D R
Dear Guest

I have recently reviewed your online feedback posted on our tripadvisor page, thank you so much for sharing. It surely is of great concern to note that our team members do not deliver as expected and indeed very uncharacteristic. Your views have been shared with Management and their respective teams to ensure we review all areas we lack and improve for our future development & growth. On behalf of the team my sincere apologies for not fully meeting your expectations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance and trust that we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Teun Engbers - Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After checking in to the Hilton for a couple days before heading out for a safari, my wife and I had so much hope for an uneventful stay as we were celebrating our 33rd anniversary. An impressive facility and probably one of the finest hotels in Windhoek (if not THE finest), Christian checked us in at the front desk and was the epitomy of professionalism, acknowledging my elite status with Hilton as well as recognizing our anniversary, which had been noted on the reservation. He was complimented by Victor, who took our bags to the room and was extremely pleasant and articulate. The evening passed without incident but we weren't quite as lucky the following day.

The first problem was the internet with an outrageous charge of $18 but slow as molasses and certainly not worth the price. Since there are no instructions in the room, I plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop and signed in without problem, but actually gave up on trying to check my email after waiting for 15 minutes without being able to bring up a single website. I finally called the front desk and was told that they would have their internet technician check it out and call me back. I waited another 30 minutes before calling again and got an apology and a promise that they would send someone right up. Another 15 minutes passed and I finally went down to the front desk and Aubrey came out of the back office and followed me to my room. He immediately diagnosed the problem as being the ethernet cable which needed to be unplugged after I signed on and was connected to wi-fi. But how would I have known that without instructions and why couldn't someone just tell me that when I called if that's all it took? Aubrey apologized and asked me to call him directly if I had any more internet problems, which I didn't.

But, shortly thereafter my wife realized that housekeeping had failed to replenish the soap or leave bath clothes when they cleaned the room so I called housekeeping and was again assured that both would be sent right up, to no avail. We finally gave up and left for a couple of hours thinking that the soap and bath clothes would certainly be in the room when we got back. NOT! So I called again and the young lady who answered sensed my frustration and apologized and said she'd leave her post at the desk and bring them up herself as soon as she could, which she did. But, again, why does everything take at least two calls?

The only bright spot other than Christian and Victor at checkin was Francy who patiently worked with me to solve a problem with our tour and literally saw it through to the end and a timely and successful resolution.

In conclusion, this property has so much potential and a great staff but they just need more direction and customer service training. As a former hotelier and Director of Finance for Marriott Hotels International and Choice Hotels I know the importance of one call resolution of guest problems and complaints if the property intends to keep its clientele coming back again and giving recommendations to friends, colleagues and relatives. But apparently the management at the Windhoek Hilton thinks that they are the best game in town so customer retention isn't an issue. I can only hope they're right.

We are leaving for safari tomorrow but will be back for an overnight stay in a week and can only hope that everything goes off without a hitch. Regardless, I can't say that I could recommend this property as I Can't be confident that the service issues that we've experienced and others have expressed will be addressed and rectified.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank romadaro
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Hilton Windhoek during your recent trip to Windhoek, Namibia as your home away from home. Pleased to note you enjoyed your first night at our establishment and that Christiaan and Victor took well care of you and met your expectations. However it is very concerning to note that the remaining days of your stay were not that pleasant, my sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences you and your wife had to encounter. This is very much uncharacteristic of our staff and hotel, we will most certainly ensure that we rectify them so as to deliver the standard expected from us. Exceptional service delivery by Christiaan, Fancy and Aubrey will ensure they are recognised for going the extra mile, however should there be any future assistance required from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly on teun.engbers@hilton.com.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Atlanta
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Here just 12 hours as part of a tour of southern Africa. This is a modern appearing facility that didn't just run right and/or wasn't laid out properly. Key card system in elevators didn't work, wouldn't stop as programmed; shower and bathroom doors didn't shut properly, hot and cold faucets in rooms mislabeled, towel bars on sinks had protruding handles that caught whatever you were wearing; long wait to check in while manager stared at the overworked receptionist and obviously could not be bothered to lend a hand, etc, etc. This was a study in how NOT to manage a hotel! The bright spot was breakfast-lovely house muffins and a full assortment of goodies; smiling staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank like2travelAtlanta
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is indeed very concerning to note that we did not meet the expectations you had for our property. Our apologies for all the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us, most importantly for not serving you with the best of services expected from our hotel. Your views have been shared with the Hilton Windhoek team to ensure we follow up on these areas and better serve you on your future visits.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any further assistance.

Oxford
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A comfortable modern hotel in a great central location. The rooms are large and comfortable with all amenities one would expect. My bathroom was well fitted with a shower and bath with a separate toilet, the bathroom did however open on to the room so no privacy if it was desired. The internet connection in the room was good.

Breakfast was great, good range of hot and cold food. The buffet for dinner was also pretty good. The service at all times in the restaurant was however pretty slack, we often had to wait to get someone's attention and had to ask for things that you would expect to be anticipated, such as coffee at breakfast.

Only disappointment of the four night stay was room service one evening. On two nights I ordered a steak, the same steak, the first night the steak was significantly larger the on the second. I was also given different side dishes to what I ordered, even after the person who took my order repeated it back to me.

Reception staff were very helpful, organising transfers and an excursion when I had some free time.

Would recommend the hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank daveh104
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your home away from home during your recent trip to Windhoek, Namibia. I have recently reviewed your feedback posted on our tripadvisor page, thank you so much for sharing. Pleased to read that you loved our rooms, amenities offered, breakfast and dinner offerings. My apologies for the lack of consistent service delivery in our restaurant and by room service, your feedback has been shared with the Management team to review and ensure we deliver the service as expected from us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance in the future and trust that we will welcome you back soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 July 2014

-Externally imposing & impressive other than the area it's been build around
-Internally equally stunning with a lovely small but modern gym, a rooftop bar
-Beautiful rooms until you lookout the window at the surroundings
-Wine Room & an informal Lounge
-Warm reception
-irons & boards in rooms - a rarity in the region generally
downside:
-poor room service was experienced
-buffet options were not the tastiest
-lifts on -certain floors were not working(a month before colleagues had reported similar) -this was not openly communicated at reception. one just found a note under their door

some PR in the Food & Beverage area could benefit this establishment

Room Tip: If lifts are dysfunctional definitely not the 9th floor. If working top is good so you do not have t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rato_11
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

Greetings from Windhoek and in particular from the Hilton Windhoek, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Your advise/comments have been shared with the Hilton Windhoek team, happy to read that we met your expectations on certain areas however we will ensure that we make use of your feedback to improve on the areas we did not meet. Looking forward to welcoming you back for more memorable stays with us.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have always stayed in other hotels while visiting Windhoek, but based on the fact their Internet services was bad, I decided to try the Hilton. I am really enjoying my stay in this great hotel. The rooms are great and the service is brilliant. I am not to impress with the restaurants, but luckily Windhoek offers great places to eat. I will visit The Hilton regularly going forward.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Windhoek as your second home during your recent visit to Windhoek and for sharing your experience with us. We are very happy to note that we met your expectations, apologies for not meeting your restaurant expectations however we always consider our guest feedback to assist us in further improving our service delivery. Thank you so much once again for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Expectations were met from all angles - room, entertainment, service and food quality all top notch. We checked in rather late on a Wednesday evening and the check in took literally 3 minutes where after we got to our rooms and were still able to have a meal in the bar area whilst watching one of the world cup games. Breakfast was outstanding with a massive quality selection to choose from. Sky Bar at sunset was again a special experience so all in all a great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beans H
Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback, pleased to note that you loved what we offer at the Hilton Windhoek. Looking forward to welcom you back for more memorable stays with us.

Best regards,