“Excellent location for city!”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Pretoria, South Africa
“Excellent location for city!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were warmly welcomed to this beautiful hotel. We loved our stay (with our 1 year old baby). The room was spacious. Lovely bathroom. Breakfast very extensive and good personal service. Stunning roof pooldeck, just breath taking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for the great feedback, pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. Trust that we will welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,
Teun Engbers - Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Pros:
Super modern design
Big Rooms
Giant bathtub
Awesome rooftop bar
free parking

Cons:
Wifi is more expensive than a steak from room service.
Tricky hotel to find
Walking around at night- not a great area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for posting your feedback on our page, pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Looking forward to welcome you back in the near future for more memorable stays.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've just stayed at this hotel for the first, and last, time. A two night business trip took me there this week, and on my immediate arrival I was impressed. For about 3 minutes. Whilst a brilliant receptionist was taking me through the amenities of the hotel, I enquired as to the wifi access code. Here's the shocker... There's no free wifi at this hotel. (How any hotel in this day and age can charge nearly US$20 a day for wifi and not even high speed wifi at that, is beyond me?)

So, whilst I loved my room, the food and the all round service; I'm sorry to say I'm not going back until this policy changes. Nor is my client, who was similarly shocked, and has now turned her attention to other Windhoek hotels for her next required set of hotel nights, which number some 12 or so in the next few weeks. A US$20 rip off has cooked the Hilton's goose. They 'took' us once; but no more!

Incidentally TripAdvisor lists free high speed wifi as an amenity on this hotel's listing; something I'm informing them about immediately.

I'm very, very disappointed.

Room Tip: book somewhere else until this policy changes
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ChangeGuru
Teun79, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Hilton Windhoek, happy to note that you loved the hotel's services and facilities. Our apologies for not meeting your expectations on the internet service available, our Executive Management is reviewing your feedback. Thank you once again for your feedback and trust that you will consider staying with us in the future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I made my way to Windhoek, Namibia recently for a quick business trip. This was my first time to the country and I can't believe it has taken me this long. I stayed at the Hilton Hotel, which is very central to most facilities and amenities in the city. The hotel staff are extremely friendly, and they go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The rooms are clean, extremely comfortable and I had a great view of the city too. It's a wonderful hotel and it comes highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Teun E, Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for sharing your first visit and experience with us. We are very happy to note that you had a pleasant and memorable stay. Looking forward to welcome you back for more memorable and longer stays.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The staff at this hotel just doesn't understand the concept of urgency with regards to customer complaints. We had multiple problems during our stay-ranging from the internet not working properly to housekeeping forgetting to leave bathroom amenities after they cleaned our room and in each instance we had to call repeated before we got a response or resolution. Under the circumstances I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Oscar D R
Dear Guest

I have recently reviewed your online feedback posted on our tripadvisor page, thank you so much for sharing. It surely is of great concern to note that our team members do not deliver as expected and indeed very uncharacteristic. Your views have been shared with Management and their respective teams to ensure we review all areas we lack and improve for our future development & growth. On behalf of the team my sincere apologies for not fully meeting your expectations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any assistance and trust that we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After checking in to the Hilton for a couple days before heading out for a safari, my wife and I had so much hope for an uneventful stay as we were celebrating our 33rd anniversary. An impressive facility and probably one of the finest hotels in Windhoek (if not THE finest), Christian checked us in at the front desk and was the epitomy of professionalism, acknowledging my elite status with Hilton as well as recognizing our anniversary, which had been noted on the reservation. He was complimented by Victor, who took our bags to the room and was extremely pleasant and articulate. The evening passed without incident but we weren't quite as lucky the following day.

The first problem was the internet with an outrageous charge of $18 but slow as molasses and certainly not worth the price. Since there are no instructions in the room, I plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop and signed in without problem, but actually gave up on trying to check my email after waiting for 15 minutes without being able to bring up a single website. I finally called the front desk and was told that they would have their internet technician check it out and call me back. I waited another 30 minutes before calling again and got an apology and a promise that they would send someone right up. Another 15 minutes passed and I finally went down to the front desk and Aubrey came out of the back office and followed me to my room. He immediately diagnosed the problem as being the ethernet cable which needed to be unplugged after I signed on and was connected to wi-fi. But how would I have known that without instructions and why couldn't someone just tell me that when I called if that's all it took? Aubrey apologized and asked me to call him directly if I had any more internet problems, which I didn't.

But, shortly thereafter my wife realized that housekeeping had failed to replenish the soap or leave bath clothes when they cleaned the room so I called housekeeping and was again assured that both would be sent right up, to no avail. We finally gave up and left for a couple of hours thinking that the soap and bath clothes would certainly be in the room when we got back. NOT! So I called again and the young lady who answered sensed my frustration and apologized and said she'd leave her post at the desk and bring them up herself as soon as she could, which she did. But, again, why does everything take at least two calls?

The only bright spot other than Christian and Victor at checkin was Francy who patiently worked with me to solve a problem with our tour and literally saw it through to the end and a timely and successful resolution.

In conclusion, this property has so much potential and a great staff but they just need more direction and customer service training. As a former hotelier and Director of Finance for Marriott Hotels International and Choice Hotels I know the importance of one call resolution of guest problems and complaints if the property intends to keep its clientele coming back again and giving recommendations to friends, colleagues and relatives. But apparently the management at the Windhoek Hilton thinks that they are the best game in town so customer retention isn't an issue. I can only hope they're right.

We are leaving for safari tomorrow but will be back for an overnight stay in a week and can only hope that everything goes off without a hitch. Regardless, I can't say that I could recommend this property as I Can't be confident that the service issues that we've experienced and others have expressed will be addressed and rectified.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank romadaro
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Hilton Windhoek during your recent trip to Windhoek, Namibia as your home away from home. Pleased to note you enjoyed your first night at our establishment and that Christiaan and Victor took well care of you and met your expectations. However it is very concerning to note that the remaining days of your stay were not that pleasant, my sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences you and your wife had to encounter. This is very much uncharacteristic of our staff and hotel, we will most certainly ensure that we rectify them so as to deliver the standard expected from us. Exceptional service delivery by Christiaan, Fancy and Aubrey will ensure they are recognised for going the extra mile, however should there be any future assistance required from us please do not hesitate to contact me directly on teun.engbers@hilton.com.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Atlanta
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Here just 12 hours as part of a tour of southern Africa. This is a modern appearing facility that didn't just run right and/or wasn't laid out properly. Key card system in elevators didn't work, wouldn't stop as programmed; shower and bathroom doors didn't shut properly, hot and cold faucets in rooms mislabeled, towel bars on sinks had protruding handles that caught whatever you were wearing; long wait to check in while manager stared at the overworked receptionist and obviously could not be bothered to lend a hand, etc, etc. This was a study in how NOT to manage a hotel! The bright spot was breakfast-lovely house muffins and a full assortment of goodies; smiling staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank like2travelAtlanta
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback, it is indeed very concerning to note that we did not meet the expectations you had for our property. Our apologies for all the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us, most importantly for not serving you with the best of services expected from our hotel. Your views have been shared with the Hilton Windhoek team to ensure we follow up on these areas and better serve you on your future visits.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need any further assistance.