“Standards Dropping”

Ranked #1 of 129 Restaurants in Windhoek
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A lovely venue, a fine selection of private cellar wines and exclusive rights to serve the premium meat produce of Namibia!
Windhoek, Namibia
“Standards Dropping”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Having been an avid fan of the Stellenbosch Wine Bar, it is disappointing to notice that the standards are dropping. Having had three meals there over the last month I must say that each one was disappointing in it's own way and the measl were mediocre to say the least.
The venue is still lovely, the staff friendly when they eventually get to you but the standard of the food has definately gone backwards. A pity really.

2 Thank Christine T
michael_Stellenbosch, General Manager at The Stellenbosch Wine Bar and Bistro, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Good Day Mrs Christine T

While it is not always easy to read a review such as yours, we do very much appreciate the time and effort that it took to provide us with feedback on your dinning experiences.

Everyone here at The Stellenbosch Wine Bar and Bistro strives to deliver to our guests the very best experience possible; and while it is not always possible we strive to deliver this to our guests every time that they dine with us. Clearly we did not deliver to you our usual standard of service nor did we provide the quality of fare that you have become accustomed to and for this I do most whole-heartedly apologise. We view your concerns in the most serious of light and will be sure to employ them in training so as to improve the end product delivered to you our guests

I do wish that you had brought your concerns to our attention on the day in question so that we could hopefully have rectified the errors then and there and still delivered to you the quality meal that you had wished for. I would thus like to invite you back to the Stellenbosch Wine Bar and Bistro so that you may once again be treated to friendly service and "tasty and well presented" meals.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your concerns further or wish to make a reservation to dine with us.

We look forward to you dinning with us again in the future.

Kind Regards

• Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Having never been to Namibia, I didn't know what to expect. The restaurant is lovely. The setting is pretty. The lamb shank was amazing and the wine selection was good. Service was a little slow though.

Windhoek, Namibia
“Futuristic Expectations”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Got on the net one day to look-up a great place where I could go treat myself.The Google Search Engine screamed "The Stellenbosch Wine Bar & Bistro".Found their page on Facebook,saw what they had on the menu and I have to say my taste buds were aroused.

The following day I get an email from someone at the office inviting me to this place.I scream and shout and do a Happy Dance.I thank God as I think to myself I get to go dine at one of Namibia's Finest Restaurants and I don't have to pay a cent.

Date and time has been confirmed my outfit has been picked.Just waiting for the day to pass as I have a date tomorrow with "The Stellenbosch Wine Bar and Bistro".

I have my expectations I hope they are met.Will inform you about my experience,that's that.

Cullercoats
“Fair, reasonable, nice, okay”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We'd seen the buzz about this place and were intrigued. We emailed a booking from UK for an evening meal some weeks prior to visiting and received a prompt reply confirming the booking. Which turned out to be a fairly pointless exercise as the booking wasn't anywhere on the maitre's list when we got there. Still, they found us a nice table right away and the staff were friendly and nice.

The food was entirely pleasant and my sirloin was cooked just the way I'd ordered it. There was a mix up with the steak sauce I'd ordered, but they corrected the issue promptly. The apple pie and ice cream was good- very tasty.

At the current exchange rates, the whole meal was exceptionally good value for money. You really wouldnt get anything near the same, including a bottle of wine, for similar money in Europe.

The venue seems okay but the night time lighting in the courtyard is minimalistic (or dark). Hard to see the decor. Hard to see your food.

The experience in itself was pleasant enough, but having read some of the other excitable reviews about it, I can't really see what the fuss is all about. I think I'd probably go there again, although an old favourite restaurant is also quite nearby. Overall, not earth-shattering, not bad, fairly pleasant, great value.

Hamburg, Germany
“Excellent food, great service, lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We followed the tripadvisor advice and ate here with a couple of people the last night after our safari. We had booked a table for 6 and enjoyed the atmosphere already when we came in (almost felt like being in Italy or France).

The service was excellent and so was the food! Where else would you get a filet steak with great wine for round about 12EUR (130N$)?! Extremely good value for money!

Can only recommend this place strongly!

• Visited October 2013