“Great location near the airport, good for first or last night in Namibia.”

Etango Ranch Guest Farm
Somerset West, South Africa
“Great location near the airport, good for first or last night in Namibia.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

On our last night in Namibia, we decided on the Etango Lodge as it was close to the airport and made it easy to catch our early morning flight back to Joburg. It is only about 2km from the airport, just across the main road, literally only 3-4 minutes. Very handy and avoids the 40km early morning drive from Windhoek on a notoriously dangerous stretch of road.

The lodge host was very friendly and ensured we had a pleasant stay. We arrived late in the evening and they had a hearty and delicious dinner waiting for us on arrival, allowing us to quickly eat and get off to bed for an early start the following day.

The room was very spacious and comfortable. The AC unit came in handy to cool down the room after quite a scorching hot day. Everything was spotlessly clean and well-maintained, with great lighting. The shower was spacious as well with a good supply of hot water. The whole place was super quiet and relaxing, allowing us to get a really good undisturbed sleep.

We will definitely come back again. Our only complaint was that we didn’t get to see it in the light! Highly recommended to all other travelers, especially those with early morning departures or late night arrivals.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DanO68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We had to spend one night in or close to Windhoek - so just near the airport seemed OK. On the homepage we read something about a tour of the farm. So we thought it would be OK to spend a night there and wait for the flight back.
Well - the owner was very friendly at the reception. We organized the cleaning of the car (to save costs with AVIS) and she offered to make the check-in for Air Namibia. So far so good.
We did not see her until next morning, breakfast. Then she offered to make the check-in for the flight from Munich to Vienna after breakfast. However, after breakfast she had left for Windhoed, only to come back 2 days later. OK. In Summary - she was very nice and helpful when she was in the lodge, but most of the time she just was not there.
The double-bungalow was quite small, the bed-room small and poorly furnished. Surprisingly there was a big bathtub in the bathroom, the first one we have seen in 3 weeks because everywhere else we just had showers (makes sense if you have very little water available).
The food was OK, under average.
In fact it was the poorest place we have stayed at. This is maybe influenced by the fact that we have had some very good lodges and always a lot to do. In Etango we just waited from morning till afternoon to get to the airport. Well, on our next trip to Namibia we will find another place close to or in Windhoek.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert G

Travellers are raving about these Windhoek hotels

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was our last stop before leaving home. The rooms are simple, but have everything you need. The service of staff and owners is very good. Breakfast, coffee break (with great cake) and diner are superb. It was almost as staying at home. We did a Windhoek/Katatura tour from there. Do not forget to put that in your Namibia trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I booked this lodge for my parents(in their 70's and firsttime Africa travellers) for the first day in Namibia,because my husband and I would arrive a day later. The lodge is very near the airport and they got picked up from the airport. They arrived in the early morning but were given a room soon,because other guests left also early. They do not speak English or German very well but were made feel at home by the owners.For them it was a great,relaxed first day. They enjoyed the farmlife,scenic drive and dinner. We would have loved to stay here on our last night,but they were fully booked.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anitavhb
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I really loved this place from the start, when Bernard picked me up at the airport. The staff, and the owners Carmen and Robert, are helpful and relaxed, and I simply loved staying at the farm. There are small cabins, like the one I stayed in, in the "self catering" area, and other cabins that I think are a little fancier, but I did not see one.
You can sign up for meals if you want. One night I signed up for dinner, and we had wonderful Orynx steak and other delicious food that was cooked on the open fire.
I stayed here both when I first arrived in Namibia, and when I was done with one leg of my Namibian trip and about to start the next one.
The ranch is great to hike around as well - I saw wildlife and birdlife as I hiked to and from the waterhole and around other areas.

Room Tip: You can choose "self-catering," which I did, or a fancier option.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
rome
Reviewed 8 September 2012

It took me some time to figure out if there was accommodation opportunity in windhoek airport or nearby. I finally found Etango Ranch Guest Farm. It's the perfect solution. They have pick-ups from/to the airport. The ranch is beautiful, the rooms clean and comfortable. I thought dinner was rather expensive (20 euros per person) but they had just opened the restaurant and maybe they'll need time to figure out right menus for reasonable prices.
The place is efficiently managed and owner and manager were both caring and very helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family