“Good value for money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windhoek
Chameleon Backpackers Hostel
Kigali, Rwanda
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My girlfriend and I had stayed in many hostels during our 2 month trip throughout Southern Africa and I have to say that this was one of the best.

We had a nice welcome at reception and were taken to our private en-suite room which turned out to be much better than we expected. The room was nicely decorated, spacious and very clean and the bathroom was excellent. The communal kitchen facilities were decent and there is also a nice bar and pool area to relax around.

I would highly recommend this hostel to backpackers travelling to Windhoek. Excellent value for money!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
loomis ca
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We are older travelers and prefer a private room with our own toilet and shower. We stayed in this room 2 nights at the beginning of our trip, and the last night before flying home.
Things we particularly liked:
Private balcony and outdoor shower.
Contemporary furnishings, tastefully done.
Separate shower and bathroom sink indoors as well.
Quiet location, but within a 10 minute walk of downtown, shopping etc
Complimentary breakfast-pretty extensive including yogurt, cereal, juice, toast, coffee, pastries
Small pool area to cool off
Plenty of places to hang out both indoors and out
Great friendly staff. We forgot our kindle charging in the kitchen, someone found it, and will be sending it to us.
Would definitely stay here again. This room was only $50 US, but I'm sure they have many more options that are less expensive.
Nice clientele, not the too too young and partying type.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed at Chameleon for two separate nights and was impressed by the security, standard of room and the friendly staff. The kitchen was well organised and very clean. Ares to relax in were varied and comfortable.
I took advantage of the safari trip and was delighted by the guide Morney (a fantastic chef!) and the itinerary.
Any queries I had were ably dealt with by the office staff. It was a very positive experience!

Room Tip: I chose an ensuite room and it was a real treat after camping! There wasn't any noise at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed there in the beginning of my trip for 3 days.
Tidy and nice rooms, clean showers and toilets.

Very good location to explore central Windhoek (about 10min walk).

Very useful are the fridges in the common kitchen area. Supermarket is close and this allows budget cooking for yourself if wanted.

Little downturn was the partly unfriendly/ annoyed staff. Booked a township tour and they hadn't informed the tour operator about it. Was some hassle to get the money back but worked out in the end.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Jackie2108, Owner at Chameleon Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for your review and many positive comments, we appreciate your business and time taken to share your experience. My apologies for the mix up with your township tour booking and the feeling that the staff were unfriendly, as you had paid by credit card and asked for a cash refund this did pose problems for them. However as you mentioned they did find a solution for you which satisfied all. Thanks again and we hope to see you again back in Namibia!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here almost every time I have been in Windhoek over the years and highly recommend it. Friendly and helpful staff, very nice rooms, clean and neat. Safes in the rooms. Great place to meet fellow travelers from around the world. Lots if young foreigners doing missionary work seem to use the place as a base and you couldn't meet a more friendly and interesting bunch. Highly recommend it to anyone

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed several times at the Chameleon Backpackers in Windhoek in the month of September. This is a great place to socialize with travellers for trips into Etoscha, Sossussvlei and other places in Namibia.The travel agency can book these excursions including days trips in and around of Windhoek like the township tour. I found my stay in the tent as great value for money. What I found missing was an ATM on the premises and the sale of phone cards. WLAN should be for free as in many other backpacker places in Namibia and South Africa. Most of the staff is very helpful and friendly, if you don't expect a four star concierge service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Frank S
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I´ve stayed here several times over the last few years and I´m always more than happy to come back. The staff is very very nice and friendly, always happy to help and together they create a warm and homely atmosphere. The clientele is varied and if you stay for a while you´ll meet lots of different people, both foreigners and Namibians. If you have a little time to kill the bar is a great place to strike up conversations with new people or to get a cold beer to enjoy by the pool. But since the bar closes at ten, getting your beauty sleep is not a problem. Being a backpackers hostel obviously it isn´t the same as a posh hotel, but it is very good value for money and a lot of effort is made in keeping it clean and inviting for all.To me it really has become a home away from home and the fact that so many people keep coming back again and again almost speaks for itself.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo