“great place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windhoek
Chameleon Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I would definitively recommend this place. Good location, great staff who will help you with anything you need, private rooms really nice, dorms are clean, have good beds and reading lights (a big plus in my book), great showers with room to put your stuff, large lockers for each person. There is a pool and also a bar. The kitchen is well appointed and you have room to store your stuff. They also have a tour desk. My only little minus is the 2 hours allowance of free internet per day. Could be longer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Chameleon Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Perfect place to relax waiting to start your journey through the beautiful lands of Namibia.
Lot of cool people from all around the world to meet and a nice and helpful staff that will help you for any need.
Nice rooms and cool common areas are a welcome add.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I really liked this Backpackers and stayed here twice during my time in Namibia. It has nice ensuite dorm rooms. with comfortable beds and a reasonable amount of room.

The pool and bar area are very nice. The free breakfast is a big bonus.

The staff are lovely and I will be forever greatful to Sarah for finding me a bed when I turned up unexpectedly early at 3.00am the day before I was booked in. Sorry for waking you Sarah!!

Overall I was very impressed and would definitely stay here again. In fact the only thing that it would take to make this place perfect is free wifi.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My adult daughter and I traveled in Namibia for a week. We stayed at different hotels in Windhoek and Swakopmund as well as camping in Etosha. The Chameleon Backpackers was definitely the best value for the price. We got a private room with ensuite bathroom which was fantastic. It was the Zebra (luxury) room, but I also looked into the Lion (standard) and thought it looked equally comfortable. I was accidentally taken to the Penguin (private room with shared bath) which was not nearly as nice. Our room was clean, the beds were very comfortable and the decor was whimsical and fun. The bathroom was very clean and the shower worked great.

We used the kitchen to cook our dinners which saved us money. There is a lot of awareness of environmental concerns, with recycling, composting and suggestions for reducing water consumption. The staff is helpful and the safety information reminders on the locked gates, about how to avoid theft in Windhoek was helpful. The casual friendly gathering places at the bar, around the pool and lounge area created nice opportunities for connection with others.

Wifi is available in the communal areas but not in many of the private rooms. It was not totally reliable, or strong but generally we got what we needed.

Overall, we LOVED this place and I would recommend it to anyone looking for clean, comfortable, friendly and affordable lodging.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed 8 nights over 2 trips - great location, secure, fabulous facilities and lovely atmosphere. Wonderful self catering kitchen and very friendly staff. Chameleon offers hotel standards for backpack prices. I also fell very ill during my stay and was given lots of info re: hopsitals, medicine etc

Also, I went on their Sossusvlei express tour which spectacular. Great accommodation and some of the best scenery I've every scene. Very impressive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were in the higher price room (Elephant and lovebird I believe) - both rooms were nice and clean - different in style... Lovebird more rustic but without a lot of charm and character as well as its own balcony- not sure how mosquito proof it is... Elephant more contemporary and sturdy built, great in door shower as well as outdoor one on private balcony. I would recommend both rooms with a preference for Elephants.
Rooms also have sitting area, hot water, desk, closet, kettle, fan and personal safe.

Staff is very friendly and helpful even if they may appear slightly nonchalant by time (i guess part of the charm).

Only downside i would say is the Wifi is available but sadly at a cost - not so common nowadays notable that the connection speed and quality is questionable, buy hey... More time to read and relax alongside the pool.
I would also add a mosquito net in lovebird.

We also participated in a tour with Chameleon safaris and I don't have enough words to say how good this was. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Elephant for sure
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Super clean rooms, amazing showers and possibly the best self catering kitchen in any hostel I've stayed in. Staff at reception and in the travel centre were really helpful with my planning. My only problem is if you want to camp, the area is tiny and only room for 2/3 tents. You cannot book camping so you might go over budget.

Oh and fantastic breakfast included in the price

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo