“I don't want to stay anywhere else in Wdh”

and 1 more site!
Rivendell Guest House
Ranked #11 of 97 Windhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Rivendell is for me the ideal place to start or end a holiday in Namibia - it's even ideal if you want spend a longer time in Wdh. The way the house is build, you feel like being at home because the rooms are all very different - some are in main house, some are in a building nearby but all are settled around the pool - very charming! Pots of plants are everywhere, nice wooden artwork are hidden in the little gardens around the house.
However you feel, you can order breakfast which is eaten in a tasteful dining - room or you just can make yourself breakfast in a cosy very clean kitchen.
All the people who work there are very friendly and helpful.
I certainly stayed at the place more than 30 times (I used to work in Namibia) and every time when I open the gate to rivendell, I feel welcome and on holiday!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rivendell Guest House

Reviewed 14 July 2010

Very good accommodation with excellent cooked breakfast provided plus communal kitchen facilities. Quite a walk into the city centre so a taxi one way is a good compromise. Basic rooms are available but we had a 'deluxe en-suite'. Freedom to make tea or coffee throughout the day with soft drinks, wine and snacks available on an 'honesty box' system. Nice pool with attractive terrace seating and very helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I overnighted here before catching a plane early in the morning. I chose this place because of its very positive ratings on Trip Advisor and was a bit disappointed that it wasn't better given the superlatives reviewers have lavished on this place.

It’s a very friendly place a ten minute walk from center of Windhoek. There is however some traffic noise. There are rooms with shared bath/toilet and a common room and kitchen in a main house and more private ensuite rooms outside the house set around a very small & shallow pool-- it’s more for soaking than swimming.

The guests are all very friendly—it seemed especially popular with middle aged single women from all over the world when I was there though there were a few men, including a gent. who had been sent there by his company while he was attending a training course. It can even be a bit too friendly if you are in the mood for solitude as many guests will start chatting with you as you are watching TV, etc. (I finally gave up watching my movie) and the main house is a constant hive of activity with cooking, cleaning and guests coming in and out. I was glad I had opted for the more secluded rooms.

The reception staff are very friendly and can help book day tours and answer questions about what to see and do in Windhoek.

My superior room was simply furnished but spotless. The plumbing fixtures in the bathroom were a bit old but everything worked fine although the toilet needed intervention sometimes to keep it from running.

They don’t provide meals other than breakfast and thi isn't inlcuded in the price. However, there is a friendly restaurant (Fusion) right next door serving traditional northern Namibian food with a European twist so this isn’t a big inconvenience. Most of the guests self cater and they have snacks and drinks you can purchase. Breakfast is served from 7:30 AM onwards if you want a hot meal. They will set out the continental breakfast a bit earlier for those with early flights. Breakfast is fine but nothing to write home about with your standard selection of cereals, yoghurt, a few slices of cheese and meats, bread and your choice of eggs. If you need to leave early in the morning and can only eat the continetal breakfast don't pay for the breakfast as you won't get good value.

There are no phones in the rooms and no WIFI although they do have one old computer you can use in reception for a small fee. They are unlikely to get WIFI because they say they can’t make money from it (except the revenue they lose from guests who don’t stay in non WIFI places.) So this is not a good place to stay if you need to stay in touch with your work before or after your safari.

The rooms have fans but no aircon and so was very cold at night during the height of Namibia’s winter.

I was happy here for the one night I spent, but if I come back to Windhoek I will likely stay in a slightly more upmarket guesthouse like the Olive Grove. I would also recommend my friends look elsewhere given the large number of truly nice guesthouses in Windhoek. Thus I wouldn't recommend this place to a friend although there was nothing wrong with the Rivendall.

For transfers from the airport or further afield in Angola at a reasonable price, I recommend Mr. Bijou at MCL Liners. Rates for cars and drivers are set and very high, so it is great that this enterprising Angolan who caters to Angolans coming to Namibia for medical treatment, shopping or tourism is prepared to be flexible. He also runs a guesthouse, Maroela, which has ensuite rooms, a restaurant on site and is cheaper (and includes breakfast) than the Rivendell although nearby. I might also try this place the next time in Windhoek.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank poleinahole1
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Really friendly and helpful.
Clean, nice decor
Good Breakfasts
Close to Fussion Restaurant

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2010

We stayed couple of nights before heading to north. Nice place, relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. The staff is friendly and caring. We really liked it though there were some apparently more permanent guests who dominated the common social in areas in a rude and unpleasant way.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We stayed at Rivendell this summer with our family of five and actually thought it looked a lot like lord of the rings' rivendell, a quiet relaxed place with a beautiful garden and rooms and very gentle people. We really liked it and would recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Our family of five (children ages 14, 11, & 9) spent our first night in Namibia at Rivendell Lodge. We arrived at lunch time very hungry. Melissa kindly offered us the sandwich deli meats in the kitchen and let us help ourselves. The children were so happy to dive in the pool after two very long plane rides. She also organized an afternoon tour for us with Vulkan Ruine and Julius Gawaseb (the owner) to visit Windhoek sites and Katatura which was wonderful and eye-opening. We had a delicous breakfast the following morning. Our room was very large with a kitchen and living space area. We all comfortably fit in the room together. Highly Recommend Rivendell.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family