“Service not acceptable”

AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed at Kalahari 3 nights in August.
When I was booking the hotel I checked the reviews about it and some people complained about the service, usually I don't care about it but in this hotel is really a problem. Very very slow and disinterested, specially, desk staff. Breakfast is great, huge buffet with a good choice, but then again service is bad..it took minutes just to ask and get a cup of coffee.
Location is great, very central and only few minutes walking from shoppingmalls and main attractions in WDH. Rooms are good as well and bathrooms big and modern( shower and bath separated).
It could be an excellent hotel but even if you don't care about service you ll be disappointed about it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Pilot_DK
Patricia P, Manager at AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Pilot_DK,

Thank you for your review. We value your comments whether positive or negative. The manamgent and staff of the hotel continuously strive to ensure that we give our customers a memorable experince whilst they are with us. Service is key in the running of our business and we will most certainly take your comments seriously and take the necessary action to ensure that these type of occurences are avoided.
We hope that you make use of our facilities again

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I arrived at the hotel with a shuttle service that had been arranged by the hotel. We were collected at their international airport that is more than 40km outside Windhoek.
Upon our arrival at reception we were greeted in a friendly and polite manner, and offered a cool refreshing welcome beverage. The hotel porter took over the luggage from the shuttle driver, and we were also assisted with the luggage to our room. The room was found to be neat and clean with comfortable beds and also provided a nice view of the city.
We enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the Dunes restaurant where the food quality was found to be of a high standard.
We noticed that the hotel which is situated inside the Gustav Voight Shopping Centre, had undergone a major multi-million dollar refurbishment since our first visit in 2009.
We also visited the Oasis Bar and Lounge where we enjoyed some cocktail drinks and experienced the service as good and efficient.
We spent some time at the Kalahari Sands Rooftop Swimming Pool but found it difficult in obtaining someone to provide us with drinks there. My wife also spent some time in the spa where she was very satisfied with the treatment received.
Like all other Sun International Casino’s, the hotel casino was found to be well and efficiently run.
We experienced this as a nice hotel with friendly staff, although the service was a bit slow at times. We would definitely visit it again in the future and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Windhoek (which is not a big city). The rooms at the hotel are comfortable and spacious. Wifi - which is not free - works well in the rooms. The hotel is in a shopping mall that is busy during the day but dies completely at night.
Staff I found were general not particularly friendly or helpful, and the area was deserted and a little eerie after dark. Don't feel this is the best option for leisure travellers to Windhoek, but well located for business.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank WarwickintheWorld
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This hotel has world quality facilities, but their service and ability to respond to guest needs leaves much to be desired. At breakfast for instance, when one asks for coffee the waiter/ress proceeds to clear tables, consult other customers etc before eventually going to get the coffee about 5 - 10 minutes later. Surprisingly, room service is friendly and very efficient. The thermostat for the water seems forcefully set on barely warm, to the extent that one is freezing when coming out of the shower. I logged a complaint every day for three days before the temperature was barely acceptable and this is winter! One night, upon returning to the hotel after 10pm I found the security guard blocking the lift with a couple in it, demanding proof that the lady was a resident. Mind you, I had seen this couple in the lobby and restaurant for three days at that point. I asked if I could use the lift and he just ignored me. My fridge was also locked, apparently I needed special permission to have it unlocked, and 'therefore accepting responsibility for the minibar', and yet, I was asked 3 times by three different people if I had used anything from the minibar when checking out! How? the fridge was locked!

Room Tip: There is a casino downstairs and the place is busy. As for a room as high up as possible
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Patricia P, Manager at AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Scholastica W,

We value the feedback given to us by our guests, as we continusouly use this as a tool to improve our service and the overall experience of our guests. Please be assured that i will follow up on why your complaints were not dealt with more promptly. We are also currently working on our mini bar fridge concept, in order to make it more accessible for clients.
We look forward to hosting you once again in our hotel.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Right in the heart of Windhoek, walking distance from main shops, restaurants, tourist attractions. Lovely cuisine! I remember experiencing Christmas there, while staying at the hotel during some of wintry months. It was their special promotion. Just imagine, how surprised i was walking through the lobby and there was beautifully decorated Christmas tree! For breakfast I could choose from variety of Christmas and festive dishes. A surprise treat!

Room Tip: Since its a high-rise hotel you can book a room located on higher floor for a panoramic, city view!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Patricia P, Manager at AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear MaSmaNa,

Thank you for the review. The manamgent and staff of the hotel continuously strive to ensure that we give our customers a memorable experince whilst they are with us. We hope that you make use of our facilities again.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel in April 2013. I was travelling on business. The room was comfortable and spacious with two double beds. , the quality of deco was good, food at restaurant was average and the service was average. For a four star it was not too bad. However friends of mine who were travelling with me complained about their rooms , apparently , the wing where I stayed was newly renovated. Theirs was the old wing , one of them spotted a cockroach in her room. Not quite what you would expect in a hotel room. No gym inside the hotel. Hotel located in a shopping mall in the business district which was practical as I was 2min from the office. They have a casino for those who like to gamble. They have a pool on the roof top, with limited space though. Overall average experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lagos I
Patricia P, Manager at AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your feedback. We continusouly strive to exceed all our guests expectations in every service that we offer. I am not sure when your friends stayed in the hotel, but all the rooms were fully renovated almost over 2 years ago. Your valuable feedback enables us to constantly improve our products, facilities and services. We look foward to your next visit to Kalahari Sands Hotel & Casino.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

The site itself is lovely, and being in the heart of Windhoek, amenities are close by. However, I just cannot tolerate that this hotel is sharing its space with a mall - I felt a bit clumsy and insecure walking through the mall to the reception with my luggage with onlookers everywhere. check-in took an age and a half, check-out even longer (some arguments and altercations regarding "children's" breakfasts). An inconsistency on the Sun website and the hotel - Sun International accepts "children" aged under 18, yet the hotel charged my family with kids in their mid-teens as adults (full price). The receptionists argued a lot with me, unable to sympathise with my plight, and were quite rude, refusing to accept my "thank you's" despite me having to, against my will, pay the full fee. The rooms were decent and spacious,fairly clean as well. Very disappointed with the breakfast (at the price I paid) - no great variety compared to its 4-star competitors, and was not value for money. Potential is there for improvement, but an average stay overall.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family