AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino
US$210
US$203
Hotels.com
Jordani B&B Windhoek(Windhoek)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$82
US$126
Hotel Pension Uhland(Windhoek)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$55
US$154
Hotel Thule(Windhoek)
US$176
US$170
Hotels.com
US$106
Arebbusch Travel Lodge(Windhoek)(Great Value!)
US$111
HotelQuickly
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewskalahari sandsdunes restaurantshopping mallbusiness hotellate checkcentral locationa la carte menudinner buffetbuffet stylereception staffbusiness tripchecking incomfortable hotelcentre of townindependence avenuepleasant stayrooms are large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2009

No hardship to stay here. Don't go in expecting 5-star service as you might get it in North America, but it's comfortable and decent, and we got a good rate for staying longer. The rooms are clean, the bathrooms are modern and clean, there are no weird smells, non-smoking really means non-smoking (not next to smoking rooms so you still have to deal with the smell), the breakfast buffet is excellent (number of items, choice, selection, freshness).
Hotel elevators are still slow (as reported by people as far back as Feb. 2009) but it's no big deal.
Internet is available in the rooms although it isn't super fast. Those people that have trouble getting on-line may have older computers.
No gym but there is a spa. Quality of the services is average but the prices are good compared to Europe and North America. e.g. 60 min. massage for 25 euros.
Room service is decent too. Quality of the meals is great, speed of service is excellent and the price is good too, especially for room service! e.g. the beef burger is only 3.50 euros!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Nice Breakfast. Clean and Comfortable Room.
Lifts terrible takes ages to go up and down.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I had a three night stay at the KS hotel in Feb 2009. The lifts are still "under repair" so I was pleased to have a 4th floor room and could use the stairs. I was staying with a group who had a room block of ~10 rooms and the joke at dinner was: "What's wrong in your room?!" as many experienced a variety of issues, large and small. My room had a very leaky air conditioner, so the ice bucket and towel had to be on the desk for our entire stay. I would liken the room decor and condition to a US Holiday Inn circa early 90's - nothing flashy, plenty of room, generally clean, but worn.

My service experience was much better -- the front desk was accommodating if you don't get a trainee helping you and the business center staff was top notch in personality and helpful knowledge. The wireless internet in the room was extremely slow / not working as the front desk had warned me when I checked in. It made most sense to hook up the laptop at the business center or use their internet terminals which functioned fine.

Our group had dinner one night in the restaurant buffet -- the food was very good, but the table service was lacking.

I would not choose KS again unless I absolutely needed to be in the CBD and walking distance to a meeting / office.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2009

I have stayed at Kalahari Sands twice. Both times, the lifts have not been working properly resulting in long waiting times - which can be as long as 15 minutes.

The property is undergoing some sort of refurbishment, which caused some noise during the day. Otherwise, the hotel is very quiet and peaceful.

The rooms I have stayed in were quite spacious and decent. Nothing fancy, but a solid slightly worn ***-gear. Bathroom was clean, but again not from the latest collections.

The front office staff was very kind and efficient. They even knew that the wireless network is not strong in the room allocated for me and asked if I wanted another.

As some earlier reviews discounted the dinner buffet, I decided to try it. It was not actually so bad, but neither was it something special. I think it will not be difficult to find better alternatives. The lobby bar serves some light meals, which are better value for money. The staff at the bar is slightly uninterested, but they are an exemption from the rest. The bar houses also some local entrepreneurs, which may make it inconvenient for other ladies or those with children.

There also is a small roof-top pool and a couple of sun chairs. It usually is a nice and quiet place, if you somehow manage to get up there… the same dysfunctional lifts referred to earlier should take you here. In the interest of time, I took the stairs.

The location of the hotel is very good. There are many nice restaurants just around the corner. The area, and especially Independence Avenue, usually is safe during daylight, however the streets behind the hotel may not be.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 January 2009

It all started at the reception area when we arrived.The ladies were arrogant and very impatient with us.The reception we got was very very unwelcoming.We booked into the "luxury room".Okay,the room was quite nice,big and well kept.We headed out to the resturant for dinner.None of the waiters even gave us a smile.we had to ask to be served with a drink.The buffet was not enjoyable at all. Also breakfast was just standard. We were there for 2 nights.The next day,we went out and came back around 1:30pm.only to find our room not made.We called housekeeping,they cleaned there and then,But to our disappointment again they could not offer us clean towels and sheets,apparently because the storeroom for towels was locked.

The pool was unkept and unclean.I regretted staying in Kalahari Sands,especially that they dont treat clients with worth and value.Service levels are so so poor,en i did not appreciate at all.

Paying so much ,you expect a certain standard Service.But what experienced in Kalahari Sands was not even half of my expectation.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)