“OK though basic”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Grosmont, United Kingdom
“OK though basic”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Rooms basic, plain and dated. Complex was pleasant but nothing special. Some distance out of town centre.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank exSeis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed one night at the Safari hotel , the next day I had a flight in a small fixed wing plane to a dust runway in the middle of no where then I flew by helicopter for 1hour over the world famous "skeleton desert " to the offshore rig I was working on but that's another story .
The Safari hotel is a nice complex I was living in a chalet type room, the room was clean , but after my epic flight from Spain to Paris , then a 10 1/2 hour over night flight to Joburg , then a short flight to Namibia to Windhoek , then a 2 hour drive to the Safari hotel all I wanted was a shower and a change of clothes .
Arriving at the hotel reception the formalities were very quick and the staff very professional .
There was a big pool and bar at the Safari hotel side , a short walk over to Safari Court there they also have a pool and a gym.
Everywhere is clean and tidy and the staff are always busy all over the safari complex .
A couple of minors issues , I was given a wifi Internet code ticket but this was for only 2 hours after that you have to pay for more time .....WHY on 2 hours ?
I was getting picked up the next morning so I asked reception to give me a early morning call at 6am , I didn't need the early call because a group of people leaving to go on a early morning Safari woke me up at 4am they had no consideration of others sleeping they were talking loudly with each other and on their mobile phones - this issue I discussed with reception during my checking out , they said they would pass on my concerns to their manager .
But I don't want to be all doom and gloom , I would have liked to have stayed longer and the
thought of going on a safari would have been a dream come true .
The safari complex is well run , clean and good value for money - there is a restaurant but I had a small meal sent to my room so I could watch the football on the TV .
There is a bar in the reception building and there are bars outside by the pool , the hotel has a free shuttle bus service for people who want to go to a near by shopping mall and Windhoek city centre .
For the short time I was here I did enjoy my stay over the past 6 months I have stayed in hotels in 6 African countries and the Safari Hotel is by far the best , so well done to all the managers and staff keep up the the excellent work you are doing and you never know maybe I will come back with my family for a Safari holiday .,,

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank cuddslfc
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a mini-conference at the hotel. The rooms were comfortable although they were a little old fashioned. The cleaners also kept leaving windows open and then rain poured in as there were thunderstorms every afternoon. The air conditioners were old and noisy so could not really be used. The TV was very small and I did not get a good signal most of the time.

Internet access was my biggest issue - I just could not connect in the rooms although they say one should be able to. The only time I got access was in the conference room itself and, even then, we battled to get the password.

The food was quite good, although we only ate lunch and breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have stayed twice for several days in the last year. The first time was in the motel style rooms, which were pretty much tatty 70's vintage decor (no, not by design, the real thing!). This time I booked into the business rooms and found the rooms again to be below par. Forget sleeping with the aircon on, it sounds like a bulldozer idling outside your window....and in 40 degree celcius temperatures, an aircon might be useful. The internet didn't work in the rooms (try 8 minutes to open an email without attachments), the toilet pipe leaked on the bathroom floor and the coffee is positively insipid. That said, it is convenient, but there are many bnb's in town which are a far better quality stay... for the same money - try the Elegant Guesthouse or the Olive Grove, both great places to stay.

Room Tip: The Safari Court which is part of the same complex is probably a better bet, at double the money tho...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Not exciting, but a very pleasant and convenient place to stay for some days.
We stayed 2 days before and 3 days after a strenous trip around the country.
Great pool area, very helpful and polite staff, big varied breakfast.
A free, frequent shuttle bus going down town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank angnorw
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Just returned from a business trip to Windhoek and stayed 1 night here. This hotel sus up to an average hotel thats fine for not more than 1 night.

Rooms are large, though deco is out dated and shows the wear and tear.
The visiting cockroach and ants made me question the cleanliness. Bed is comfortable with comfotable bedding, however my sleep was seriously disrupted by the extremely noisy air-conditioner. After been forced to switch it off, the room them became unbearably hot. No fault of the hotel, but it rained that night so leaving the window open was not practical. This is where my stay just became unpleasant. Breakfast has a good selection.

Gym in the Safari Court Hotel is relatively good, though there are no towels and the rowing machines did not work.

The price at this hotel is competative, so if you are on a budget and need to spend a night in Windhoek, this would suffice,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed here for one night at the end of a group tour. The complex is nice and the pool is a good place to relax after a busy schedule. There was a good selection of food at breakfast. Housekeeping were very efficient but the bar service slow - quite often there was no-one there during opening hours. Like a lot of Namibia, there seemed to be more staff than guests.

I didn't use the free shuttle but it's a good idea as the city centre is quite far away.

Be careful when getting a taxi to the airport - I was told by the hotel the price would be 200 dollars, when I came to pay the taxi driver told me it was 280 and friends of mine paid 200 each (400 dollars for the taxi).

Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends