“A mediocre hotel/motel”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Exeter
“A mediocre hotel/motel”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

A warm welcome met us in the smart foyer of the Safari Hotel, which promised much for our stay there. However, amongst our large group we had mixed opinions about our overall night's stay. We were accommodated in motel style rooms, most of which were in clear need of some tlc and refurbishment.

Two of our rooms had an overbearing odour of cigarette smoke. When we mentioned this to reception, we were told that housekeeping would be round later to sort it out. The smell was so bad, we ended up insisting that we be moved, and in fairness we were. However, we were moved to a room with a faulty kettle, a chain lock that was not usable and a sink that didn't drain well. It was quite noisy late at night, though that was due to certain guests and I can't blame the hotel for that (though perhaps the security might have encouraged the 3am game players to quieten down a little!?).

The whole place just needed some care! That said, the pool was fine (but very cold) as was the bar.

In the morning, it was a buffet breakfast, but it was not great. The food was fairly tasteless and there was not much of it. It was certainly the first time in Namibia where I was left disappointed by the food on offer.

If you're staying in Windhoek, I'd suggest there are better places for the price (such as the Arebbusch Lodge).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Was recently here for a conference. If you are staying a long time it might be worth asking for a room upstairs. Some people complained about cockroaches in the rooms on the ground (and lower) levels. Internet was good - but 2 hour coupons were a little painful to use. Breakfast was standard Southern Africa fare. Bring your own hairdryer, unless you want to count on them having one (they only had 5 for all the rooms).
When they have a big conference they tend to get a little overwhelmed. Go early for lunch.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank B557
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We spend one night in this hotel, as we booked via a tour operator we probably got a budget room that reminded us of a military or prison complex. Worked for the night, but not something we would have wanted to stay longer. The hotel facilities were very good though, the restaurant and bar up to standard. I think maybe the rooms in the main building will have a better feel, we were in the last building away in "the barracks". Water was warm, room clean and we slept well.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AlvinZug
Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

We stay here just one night but the hotel looks clean and quiet ok. It is far from the city center but there is a shuttle bus (last call 18:00). So forget to go in the center of the city to spend the night, unless you have your car.

• Stayed July 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed there for one night. The rooms were fine and clean and the A/C was fine. The staff is friendly and the restaurant was decent.

Very relaxing place I would recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rasmus K
Grosmont, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Rooms basic, plain and dated. Complex was pleasant but nothing special. Some distance out of town centre.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank exSeis
Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed one night at the Safari hotel , the next day I had a flight in a small fixed wing plane to a dust runway in the middle of no where then I flew by helicopter for 1hour over the world famous "skeleton desert " to the offshore rig I was working on but that's another story .
The Safari hotel is a nice complex I was living in a chalet type room, the room was clean , but after my epic flight from Spain to Paris , then a 10 1/2 hour over night flight to Joburg , then a short flight to Namibia to Windhoek , then a 2 hour drive to the Safari hotel all I wanted was a shower and a change of clothes .
Arriving at the hotel reception the formalities were very quick and the staff very professional .
There was a big pool and bar at the Safari hotel side , a short walk over to Safari Court there they also have a pool and a gym.
Everywhere is clean and tidy and the staff are always busy all over the safari complex .
A couple of minors issues , I was given a wifi Internet code ticket but this was for only 2 hours after that you have to pay for more time .....WHY on 2 hours ?
I was getting picked up the next morning so I asked reception to give me a early morning call at 6am , I didn't need the early call because a group of people leaving to go on a early morning Safari woke me up at 4am they had no consideration of others sleeping they were talking loudly with each other and on their mobile phones - this issue I discussed with reception during my checking out , they said they would pass on my concerns to their manager .
But I don't want to be all doom and gloom , I would have liked to have stayed longer and the
thought of going on a safari would have been a dream come true .
The safari complex is well run , clean and good value for money - there is a restaurant but I had a small meal sent to my room so I could watch the football on the TV .
There is a bar in the reception building and there are bars outside by the pool , the hotel has a free shuttle bus service for people who want to go to a near by shopping mall and Windhoek city centre .
For the short time I was here I did enjoy my stay over the past 6 months I have stayed in hotels in 6 African countries and the Safari Hotel is by far the best , so well done to all the managers and staff keep up the the excellent work you are doing and you never know maybe I will come back with my family for a Safari holiday .,,

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business