“Disappointing”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A colleague and I stayed at the Safari Hotel for two nights earlier this month as we were utilising their conference centre for an exhibition. I had also promoted their services to my clients, despite the fact that their rates were not particularly competitive. We were allocated a room amongst a very noisy tour group and when we complained about the noise we were "upgraded" to a so-called business class room. There was no hot water and the room was filthy. The noise level in this block was even worse and we had to call reception to send security to sort out the neighbours. We complained about the lack of cleanliness but nothing was done. General upkeep is poor, frayed wires on the kettle, stains on the carpets...... We attempted room service once to obtain some milk but were told that the chef had gone off duty so they couldnt help us!! The only saving grace is the staff who on the whole were extremely friendly, especially those working at the Conference Centre. I will definitely make use of the conference facilities again but will choose alternate accommodation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Debscott1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Pretoria
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited Safari Hotel on business. When checking in we where helped quickly and efficiently. When arriving at room it was not yet cleaned and some of us had to wait outside for 30 min while they clean it. Rooms are nice. Shower drain was blocked and door could not close. Colleague of mine was moved due to shower over flowing.

Location was nice and the breakfast is very good. Staff working in restaurants are rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Pieter I,

Thank you for writing a review about our establishment.

We are pleased to hear that check-in was efficient and friendly. It is however not our policy to check any guest into a room that is not ready. Please accept our apology for this inconvenience. We have since implemented more stringent measures regarding this.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the Safari for five nights attending a conference and I found the overall experience very satisfactory. It is not my first time to Windhoek so I know that it has several good places to stay for a very reasonable price. Hence, the difference I see in the Safari is that it is well suited to what seems to be its two major group of clientele, conference participants and groups of tourists heading to or returning from the many tourist destinations in the country.

Reception staff show a good degree of professionalism and courtesy but I think this behavior needs to be consistent. The girl who checked me in was actually quite aloof at first and was barely paying attention to me while I waited at the counter for nearly ten minutes to ask one simple question. This got me very angry and I was considering talking to management when this same girl responded to my requests very politely and in the most friendly manner just after about an hour.

In terms of the amenities it is important to remember that the Safari actually is two hotels in one place. Apparently the Safari Court is the better one and costs slightly more than the Safari Hotel which is rather old and a bit cheaper. I stayed in the latter and all in all it is not bad. The most inconvenient thing about it for me was the key with its large key holder. I don't know how much it would cost to change to automatic digital locks from these old ones but I am sure it would make a lot of difference in improving the appeal of the hotel. If I were to decide not to stay at this place next time, it would certainly be because of the old locks and keys.

Food is not bad in the morning and for lunch when most things are fresh but the dinner menu seems to be taken out of the fridge and put on the buffet. The only consolation was that the standing chefs can make you great stir fried dish as you wait. Since you have choices between beef, chicken and game or even plain vegetarian this I think is the best bet.

One other inconvenience I think may put off many people is the difficult internet connection. It rarely works in the rooms so you have to go to the lobby if you want to get a connection and even then it can be quite unreliable as the speed goes up and down frequently. Oh and one other thing. The room services. Dont try the room service unless you are desperately tired. It could take them anything between forty five minutes and an hour if at all they remember to come. I was equally disappointed when I was told that I can not get an iron and iron board to press my shirts for my meeting in the morning. What is more, they charge 3 USD if you want your shirt pressed (double if it is urgent). This, I think is totally unacceptable for a conference venue whose main clients are meeting participants that are very likely to need such a service. I believe it is wrong if the hotel is trying to make money out of such services.

So in general my stay at the Safari was pleasant but not really outstanding. Would I stay here again? Only if I am attending a meeting there. Otherwise I am sure there are other equally good places in the city center.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear MGH2011,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review about Hotel Safari ***.

Safari Hotels Namibia consists of two hotels on one property. Safari Court Hotel is the 4 star hotel and Hotel Safari, where you stayed, the 3 star.

We are investigating the possibility of implementing a new digital key card facility. This is indeed quite an expensive upgrade. Since you last stayed with us, you will be happy to hear that we have upgraded our WiFi services. WiFi is now much faster and connectivity is more reliable than before.

Our stir-fry station on the dinner buffet is very popular. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed it. We have since investigated additional food options and are in the process of changing menus in both hotels.

We would like to thank you for your constructive criticism and suggestions made. These have been passed on to various departmental heads for further investigation.

Sandton
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Sometimes in life you discover a gem and need to share it with friends or fellow travellers. Well, the Safari Hotel in Windhoek is a Gem!
We travelled from Swakopmund to Windhoek on gravel roads with our BMW 1200 Adventure motorcycles. This trip took most of the day as it is a tough route through various mountain passes. So by the time we arrived in Windhoek, we were tired, thirsty, hungry and in need of a shower, not to mention a decent room for the stopover.
From the moment we rode into the magnificent complex, we were wowed! The security guard waved us in and saluted the men on their machines, welcoming us!
The team at reception wasted no time is suggesting that we book two chalets for the night so that we can park our motorcycles under the carports right adjacent to our front door! The rates were reasonable at about NS 850/night/chalet. Checking in took 5 minutes, whilst we were ordering cold beers from the bar next door.
Hotel complex consist of two hotels as well as chalet complex, all well maintained and spacious surrounds. Great breakfast by the way also included in our rate.
Overall, a great experience and certainly staff that understands how to look after their customers. Management must take a compliment as well.
Kind Regards Eugene

Room Tip: Choose chalet if you have your family with you. Pack your gym bag, great gym in the complex!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Eugene V,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review about Hotel Safari ***.

We are so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful time in Namibia. We have noted your compliments about our staff and establishment for which we sincerely thank you.

Please do let us know when you are planning your next trip to Namibia. We would love to make your next experience as memorable as the first.

Manzini
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Booked at the last minute, reception staff were pleasant apart from one young lady, who twice put the phone down on someone in a rude manner. The rooms look jaded but worked. The food at the Bar Terrace, was very nice and good value for money, pity the waiter who served us both nights was on a different planet, and had the same stained clothing on as the night previous. Service is slow, 45 minutes to get an Irish Coffee, ordered whilst we still had our main course plates in front of us, is just a little too long to wait......... But there were two other tables of, two and five people that might have been the hold up. Management should check their staff occasionally and not just rely on conferences to keep them ticking over.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear akena303,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Safari Court Hotel ****.

We have taken note of your comments and are using your suggestions to improve our service levels.
We are also in the process of planning room renovations as well as implementing a new training program for staff.

Rehoboth
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at the safari court for 3 days and it was shocking to see how paying guest are hosted there. I will start with the serving staff who are unfriendly, chew gum while serving u and are on their cell phones constantly while one wait on service. The chefs look as if they are lost not knowing what they are doing there.No creativity in dishes and most of the time not sure what they are serving you.Managers are nonexistence never there to assist. This place needs major help

1 Thank Doobie27
SafariHotels, Manager at Safari Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Doobie 27,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our establishment. We are so sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience. We have noted your comments on have taken action to rectify this.

We encourage all our guests to bring their concerns to the attention of management while staying at our hotel, in an attempt to rectify any potentially disappointing situations and to ensure that the rest of your stay is a enjoyable experience.

Please do let us know when you next travel to Windhoek. We would like to make your next stay a memorable one.

Sales Manager

Travellers are raving about these Windhoek hotels

Vadodara, India
Reviewed 4 May 2014

In Brief

Good;
Good location very near Eros airport.
Large property with lots of room.
Good gym and spa.
Working Wifi
Two swimming pools
Two bars
Two restaurants
Nice garden area and trees throughout the property.

Bad:
Average food. My steak was at least 15% gristle and fat. No whole-wheat bread or gluten free options. No fresh juices.
Shower didn't have hot water.
TV channels where limited, the TV poor quality and remote didn't work properly.
Fridge was empty and there was no jug or bottle of water for the hot drink tray.
Fridge was so noisy that it had to be turned off.
Room door had a lock that was very difficult to operate with the key getting stuck.
Noise. Windows are single panes and all noise from outside can be heard.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SafariHotels, Manager at Safari Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Lokamitra,

Thank you for writing a review about our establishment. We also thank you for the compliments received.

We really appreciate the constructive criticism offered as this helps us to improve our service. We are investigating additional food options for our buffets as well as offering water in our rooms.