“Warm and pleasant staff”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Windhoek Furstenhof
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Windhoek
Gaborone
“Warm and pleasant staff”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Arrived in late around 3 in the morning had no booking but still managed to get a very nice room. They even gave a complimentary one night's stay when I stayed longer.

Room Tip: Rooms have great views of the Windhoek city streets, it's nice to sit and watch the bustling cit...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kigali, Rwanda
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stay regularly at Protea Hotels, so I know what to expect: non-nonsense, mid-market fair, decent quality, friendly staff.... what a disappointment then after staying for three nights at the Furstenhof....
The best asset of the hotel is its staff: just great, all of them. Extremely friendly and helpful. By themselves, they can, however, not make a good hotel.
The hotel is located close to the city centre, 5 minutes by foot from a major shopping mall, but squeezed between two main roads. The place would be ideal for a petrol station.... and somehow, the hotel has the atmosphere of a petrol station, including a black and RED zebra hide and a black and GREEN cow hide on the floor......
The bar is poorly stocked, void of customers and closes at 10 or 11, depending on whom you ask (but the staff is ready to leave it open if you watch at football match). The restaurant serves a wide variety of food, but all is either fried or otherwies rather fatty. Breakfast, though, is standard Protea and ok.
The rooms, beds and bath rooms are all ok, but the TVs are from the last century and show 5 programmes. No smoking rooms are available at all.
I checked out in the early morning and the night guard made the check-out. He entirely did not know what he was doing and was unable to calculate an exchange rate. He wanted to give me about 60 US Dollars too much change... knowing that the poor guy would have to pay from his pocket, I insisted on him getting it right...
The cherry on the cake: I pre-booked and pre-paid airport pick-up and drop-off. While I paid for a full taxi fare, two other customers with full holiday luggage were squeezed into the car on pick-up (they had also paid full fare each) and on drop-off I had to wait at 5 am outside town at a petrol station for another car to join mine and only one of them to continue to the airport with two full-paying customers. The driver explained that while I had paid full single occupancy taxi fare, the hotel had only passed on to his company the fare for a shared taxi. I don't have to put in words what I think of such a practice......
Bottom line: a hotel with great staff and not much more. Have not seen anybody from management during my stay.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, ask for a room with a balcony or a terrace on the ground floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pascal C

Travellers are raving about these Windhoek hotels

Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This hotel provided great service to us. We walked in and asked if they had a room for us since we did not pre-book. The very friendly staff assisted us very quickly and in no time we were checked in. The rooms are neet and the breakfast was excellent! Will definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This hotel is about N$500 more expensive than the other Protea (Thuringerhof) in Windhoek - but it's much better. I stayed in both back-to-back so had good reasons to compare. Furstenhof is a little farther away from Independence Avenue, but it's still only a short walk. Critically though, this means it's far quieter during the night when you want to sleep without traffic noise.

The breakfast is nearly perfect - it's kept immaculate the whole time with food and drinks constantly being topped up and tables cleaned. The staff make sure the place stays spotless.

Better showers and room facilities than Thuringerhof too. The only downside was their internet vouchers do not allow for logouts.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Toffeeman1878
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Thankfully the purpose of our stay was just a stop over on our way to other parts of Namibia. The hotel itself was fine but no one went that extra mile. I have become accustomed to some fantastic hospitality across Africa and sadly I found it lacking here. It would appear that they were perhaps under staffed - the rooms were perfectly fine but things like getting water from the bar or towels from the pool seemed to be an issue - and when we left something behind we called and asked if it had been recovered - no one got back to us and it took turning up at the hotel once again to retrieve it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Cape Town
Reviewed 18 January 2010

Situated on the perfect spot. No loud traffic close to city center. Room was confortable. Staff friendly. Would definitely visit there again. Only disappointment though was that they advertise a gym, it is actually a beauty salon and the pool is very small. Great hotel anyway.

Anthea Herborn
Cape Town (South Africa)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
United States
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I went on a 3-week vacation to South Africa and Namibia and was in awe with how great the service was and how beautiful the accommodations were at every place I stayed - every place except this hotel.

Not that it was terrible. It wasn't. It was just very mediocre (as mediocre as Windhoek itself is) and if I had to do it again, I would stay at another hotel in search of the "awe" I felt everywhere else I stayed in namibia/south africa.

The location was good. You can walk to tons of restaurants and shopping. The room was clean though small and unspectacular looking. The restaurant was very good and the service there was excellent, a lot better than the service at the hotel reception area.

I was really surprised that there weren't any tour brochures sitting in the front reception area. I had no idea what tours to take and there wasn't anything to help me decide so I asked the front desk ladies. They weren't very helpful giving me ideas. Someone else ended up telling me about a cultural tour to the surrounding Windhoek vicinity so I did end up ask them to help me book that kind of tour.

I would definitely recommend the cultural tour that the front desk can book for you if you want to see what its really like living in Windhoek. The tour I went on was a private tour (there were only 3 of us in a sedan) and to me, private tours area a wonderful way to go in Namibia and South Africa. If there is 3-4 of you, it'll cost nearly the same as that on a big tour bus, you can book with just an hours notice, and the private tour drivers are much less politically correct and will give you more entertaining facts (though I'm not sure if those "facts" are real or not) than if you went on a big tour.

All in all, "average" is the word I'd use to describe this hotel. So, if all you are looking for a really cheap but clean place to stay, then I would say you should stay at this hotel if its the cheapest (but still decent) hotel you can find. If you are looking for something special or that will leave you feeling better than you started off, I'd say try another hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family