“In defence of the owner Lady,re:belgian tourists!”

Vondelhof Guesthouse
Ranked #19 of 97 Windhoek B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“In defence of the owner Lady,re:belgian tourists!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been at Wondelhof Guesthouse a couple of times in 2010, it is a good value, short stay place to be, the room maides are as sweet as no one can imagine, often cleaning up the unspikable!...Safes are provided, I have used them, never had anything missing, the Landlady is of such good carachter, always helpful, with a beautiful smile, I reccomend it to everyone who wants a nice,tranquil stay in beautiful Windhoek!!

Room Tip: try number 4
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Vondelhof, Owner at Vondelhof Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words, it is much appreciated!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Parma, Italy
Reviewed 2 September 2013

If you need a quiet accommodation in Windhoek, this guesthouse should be fine.
The room is quite big and spacious including a desk, coffee station and a lot of international sockets, so you do not need any power adaptor. Be sure to pack a hairdryer as they do not have a complimentary one in the rooms.
Since the room has no heating system you can use hot water bags during winter nights.
The complimentary continental breakfast is served in a nice public room facing the small pool.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Vondelhof, Owner at Vondelhof Guesthouse, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. Although the rooms are not equiped with a hairdryer and a heating system, please be assured that a hairdryer as well as portable electric heaters are available from reception at no charge.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 June 2013

A comfortable and relaxed location where we enjoyed a spacious and quiet room. There is a nice swimming pool and sitting area. Breakfast was good. Staff was helpful and friendly.

The guesthouse is conveniently located close to the center of Windhoek and easy to find. They have parking space within the fence.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Vondelhof, Owner at Vondelhof Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. We try to go the extra mile to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and I'm pleased you've taken the trouble to share your experience on TripAdvisor.
Aalter, Belgium
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We are just nine Belgian friends travelling around the world for many years... but what ocurred in this guesthouse was unbelievable.
After a long trip, coming from Brussels, Munich, Johannesburg to Windhoek, we were happy to arrive in Vondelhof-guesthouse. Five of us took a shower, while the others were having a drink at the (closed) pool.
Our roomdoors were kept open because everyone could see the doors, because it was good wetter... and because the roommaid kept walking in and out of the rooms. Sometimes she was carrying some stuff for the minibar, other time she was changing garbage cans from one room to another, other time she was staring at a book.... but she was always 'busy'.
A sudden moment one of my friends saw that his wallet was missing... everyone helped looking for the missing wallet. All of us, we were searching in the room. on the bed, on the chair, under the bed.... All of a sudden the roommaid passed by.... and there was the missing wallet lying on the chair... where we all had been looking. The owner of the wallet ( working in the National Bank of Belgium!) noticed that there was an amount of money missing.
That moment we all went back to our rooms... and in my wallet there was missing money too!!!
I just changed euros for Namibian dollars and counted that I was missing 280 Nam. dollar. I was also missing between 300 and 400 euros!! I don't know the exact amount because I had been spending money for food, drinks, souvenirs, medicins, taxi and train...on the road.
Because we surprised her, the roommaid was willing to give our money back. For us that was just allright, because we wanted to continue our trip. But.... the (female) owner told us that she just wanted to give our money back to avoid the police and to be able to keep her job. So she wanted to call the police to investigate the whole situation. But the owner promised us, that we would get back our money anyway. If the roommaid didn't pay, she would pay us back... so we agreed to call the police.
The whole group had been waiting for many hours..and finally two guys arrived (no uniform, no policecar...???)... telling that they couldn't do a lot. But they would send another team the morning after to look for fingerprints...
The morning after, the whole group waited for nearly three hours... but no one came. We decided to leave our wallets in the guesthouse (the end of our journey we had to come back to the guesthouse before leaving namibia)... so the polive could do their work without needing us. Asking for our promised money... the manager/owner forgot her promise. So we left because we had a daylong trip to do...

Two weeks later we came back to the guesthouse. The owner told us that the police couldn't find any fingerprints. And so there was no way of getting our money back. When we asked for the police report...there was none!
Another evening got lost because of argueing...
The climax came when she started accusing us ... of trying to get money from poor africans!!!
Just for the detail: the three accused are: 1/ I am a teacher in a catholic middle school 2/ a friend is professor economics at Brussels University 3/ another friend is having a responsable job in the National Bank of Belgium.....
The day of leaving she even let us pay a second time our spendings of the first stay!!! ( we were not able to leave the guesthouse before paying). We got further information... we should have contacted 'the tourist protection unit of the police'... but because we were running out of time (the flight had to be caught!!!) we didn't do that anymore (it wouldn't have helped us anyway).

Conclusion: we lost a lot of money (also by making phonecalls to our travelagency, our insurrancecompany...). The group spend four half days of our holiday in trying to get justice.
I just make this advices to prevent that happens the same stuff in the same 'guest'-house.

To be honest we were very happy with all the other guetshouses and lodges we frequented in Namibia...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank jan l
Vondelhof, Owner at Vondelhof Guesthouse, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
I'm afraid the picture the guests paints is very different from what actually happened. I have already responded to another review from the same Belgian group about the same incident, but I feel I can't allow unfounded accusations like this to go unanswered. The guests in question left their rooms wide open and had their wallets lying on their desk instead of having them locked away in the safe that is provided in every room. Therefore we can't take responsibility. When they claimed that money was missing, they immediately accused the housekeeper as she was seen in the rooms. I wish to re-iterate that she had every reason to be in the rooms as the guests arrived in the morning, when the rooms were just cleaned but the minibars and coffee/tea stations were not re-stocked yet. As we didn't want the guests to unnecessarily wait, they were given access to the rooms upon arrival and the housekeeper quickly went in to replenish the minibars and coffee/tea stations. When asked if I was going to refund them the money -they couldn't specify how much was missing though- I denied for two reasons. Firstly, there was no proof that anything was missing and secondly because the clients hadn't used the safes that are provided in the rooms. Surrounded by a group of extremely agitated clients, the housekeeper
-who has been with us for 7 1/2 years and is a good worker who has never caused any problems- strongly denied having taking anything, but felt overwhelmed and out of fear to loose her job and income that she depends on as a single parent, she suggested that maybe she could borrow money from friends and family to pay the clients. The estimated amount missing was more than two months salary, but loosing her job would cost her much more. I contacted a legal practice and was advised not to pay, or let the accused housekeeper pay anything at all until the police had finished their investigation and had found proof that my staff member was guilty.

Although clients were adament that they didn't want the police involved (why?), I did insist on a police investigation as theft is a serious accusation and I cannot fire a staff member based on an accusation only. Sure, if my housekeeper would be found guilty, she would have to face the conseqences and would loose her job and she would have a criminal record. But in all fairness, one is innocent until proven guilty.

The police arrived in civil clothing and in a regular car, as they are part of the Tourist Protection Unit and work undercover. They clearly identified themselves as police officers, so there's no reason to suggest that they weren't. They arranged for a special unit to take fingerprint, but unfortunately none were found. The officer from the fingerprint unit wrote a report whereof the guests could get a copy from the police station. Clients informed me that they weren't interested in spending time at the police station obtaining a copy as a report wouldn't help them anyway as missing cash is not covered by their travel insurance. The police advised me that there's a trend that tourists stage that things are stolen from their hotel rooms in order to put pressure on the hotel that obviously would like to avoid negative publicity. It cannot be proven that this is the case here, but neither can the alleged theft. The damage that clients have done to our reputation by posting reviews like this by far exceeds the amount that they estimated was missing. I could have made life easy for myself and just pay them off, but that simply felt wrong.

We didn't ask clients to pay twice, but as they had left the first time without settling their accounts, we asked if they could please do so upon their return. Paying one's account is normal practice, isn't it? What clients forget to mention is that they threw garden furniture in the swimming pool and deliberately smashed decorations on the ground just before they left. This is what I would expect from a five year old throwing a tantrum, but not from adults. I was at a meetinhg when this happened, but my staff were so scared and felt so threatened that they felt it necessary to lock themselves in the office. Do I need to say more?

Travellers are raving about these Windhoek hotels

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 7 September 2012

If you are seeking comfortable accommodation, reasonable rates and a convenient location in Windhoek, Vondelhof Guest House should be on your list. I have visited this establishment twice and have found it to be just what I wanted. The rooms are more than adequate, excellent water pressure in the shower (not always easy to find!), the continental breakfast more than sufficient to start your day, and the pool deck area nice and relaxing. Yvonne is friendly and extremely helpful in offering suggestions on restaurants, guidance to the local shops and centres, and does her best to make her guests feel welcomed and at home. Her staff are polite and courteous, the rooms kept very clean, the laundry service is very, very reasonable as well as internet access for a minimal fee when compared to many other establishments. Situated only 5 mins walk away from Wernhill shopping centre, about 8 mins walk to Town Square and Post Street Mall, this is super convenient for anyone that doesn't want to drive all the time. I will most definitely make use of this establishment again for any future trips to Windhoek. PS - I love the pets being around as it gives a wonderful homely feel!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback on your stay with us. We surely hope to have you as our guests again.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stopped here at the start and end of our trip. We had a warm welcome from the owner and staff. The rooms were clean and tidy, a fridge and kettle were much appreciated. A short walk into Windhoek with it's shops and supermarkets - ideal when getting ready for your road journey.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review. Good to hear that you have not only chosen us for the start of your holiday, but that you also opted to return at the end of your journey.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I've had the great fortune of travelling to Namibia at least once a year since 2006. I've stayed at Vondelhof numerous times, although not always as I like to check-out other options and sometimes Vondelhof has been fully booked. Not only have I never had a problem there, I have always found the staff, particularly the owner Yvonne, very helpful. Below I outline what I find to be good and not so good about my stays at Vondelhof below.

What's Good
* The price. I've stayed at 5 other hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs in Windhoek. Overall, I would rank Vondelhof 1 or 2 - 1 if I consider price, 2 if I don't.
* The breakfasts - sufficient options (cereals, toast, cold cuts, fresh fruit, yoghurt, coffee and tea).
* The rooms. Yes, they are simple, but they are nice and usually have a good desk to work at which is important for me. Beds are comfortable. Plenty of blankets for when its cold (mid-May to mid-August). If you want something special stay at the new Hilton in City Centre at USD200 a night
* Location: 5 minute walk to City Centre, but be careful about walking ANYWHERE (not just around Vondelhof but truly anywhere in Windhoek, especially quiet areas) after the sun sets (or even before) in Windhoek. Muggings, pickpockets, car break-ins are common.
* Security: electronic fence, safes in each room and remote controlled entrance gate.

Not so Good
* Rooms can be cold during Namibia's winter, mid-May and mid-August. However, there isn't much that can be done about this - this is the reality of life in Namibia, especially Windhoek. Its a desert environment and Windhoek is 1,800m above sea level. The buildings are built for the 9 months of the year when temperatures climb about 30 degrees Celsius.
* Can get dinner at Vondelhof, but then why would you want to since Windhoek has numerous great restaurants. I particularly enjoy: O Portugal; Am Wienberg; Zoo Cafe (although its called something else now);
* There is not fitness centre, but there is a pool.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo